M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
THat looks real good...congrats ! please tell us how you did it...chemicals used , did you take the wheels off the bike ? ...did you polish by hand or machine?
I heard that you can use better chemicals than Mothers polish to achieve a deep shine.

How long did it take ? Please fill us in...I'm tossed between this and chroming and lastly...did you polish the tranny cover ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
THat looks real good...congrats ! please tell us how you did it...chemicals used , did you take the wheels off the bike ? ...did you polish by hand or machine?
I heard that you can use better chemicals than Mothers polish to achieve a deep shine.

How long did it take ? Please fill us in...I'm tossed between this and chroming and lastly...did you polish the tranny cover ?
Ck this post  http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=201.0
It has alot of good info on this subject, also google "jewelers rouge" that will point you to a plethora of polishing products
I hand stripped and polished the wheels on my 04 marauder1600 using the mentioned spray aircraft remover,various grits of sandpaper and mothers and i can't count the hours i had in them. It wasn't until i was done that i found out about
jewelers rouge,it can be used with a buffer or dremell with various attachments to greatly reduce your labor.
My project really became an obsession because the harder i polished the shinier they became lol.
Don't get me wrong my wheels turned out great, i just didn't realize the time it would take.
All in all it's a doable upgrade if you have the patience,time and lack of funds for chrome, Guys are saying $500+or $200 to $300 for polishing, just be prepared to give up quite a few hours of evening ride time
Tek :]

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
wheels look awesome...just can't see myself spending the time...thinking of going chrome.looking for short turn around time and good price without giving up my wheels for a trade on someones wheels that might be damaged

·
Registered
241 Posts
FatCat109,

Looks great! I use White Diamond polish on my VTX1800s and it makes cleaning the polished wheels easy. You should use wax to preserve the cleaning as well.

Carl

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I heard that some polishes may "cloud" the finish or even make it dull gray...is this true ? I found a guy in Va Beach who does it at his home...his work
I've seen is fabulous! www.zeemachines.com thats his website.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. If you keep them polished, they want "CLOUD". I use the Mothers polished. Is there any polish better?

·
Registered
155 Posts
NateHop04 said:
Would clearcoat keep the shine better? and reduce the amount of work involved in keeping them shinning.
Clearcoat is not needed, the mothers polishes and protects in 1 step, you can also wax them to help keep them clean
Then wipe them off every so often between washings,their really not that bad to keep looking nice :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
How are your wheels looking ? still good to go ?
Yes still good to go after a little over a year,and very little maintence on them.
Like i said i just wipe them down every once in awhile, and wax them after i wash the bike. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts