M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished polishing my rear hub...i think it came out pretty good for a rookie first timer....I used Bobbymac's method..... here are some pics of the process....

This was the hub with the stripper on it...notice how its's bubbling..i used fine brillo to remove the paint..

This was after the 220grit sanding....

This was after for 400grit.....

This was after the 2000grit...obvious i skipped the 600,800,1000,1500,but you get the picture...hub should be smooth and uniform this was the final step before using the brown polishing bar and then the white polishing bar..

This is the final product....this is with the chrome shaft cover on too...you can see the difference but it does looks better than the original painted one..this isn't the best pics..maybe i'll post some more..but that's it for now....hope this helps someone that was like me and was hesitant about taking the first step....Overall im satisfied with the outcome...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good work so far, But keep going , you can get that to reflect like chrome with a little more work, just seems a little dull to me. Maybe it's the pics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorge....do you just repeat the process over and over to get to get closer to the mirror effect???

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorge....do you just repeat the process over and over to get to get closer to the mirror effect???
You have to do a let down with rouges....here is a site I get my stuff from, do some reading , great info there. http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/abrasives.html
And don't skip sealing it off with something , otherwise you will be polishing again soon. I use Wizards power seal, but you can also just use a carnuba wax.

oh and also, don't mistake the rouges simply by color. Some whites like you finished with are actually cutting rouge.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
That looks pretty good. I've polished several items on mine but haven't tried the hub yet. Most of what I've done I can take off and polish on my bench polisher.

I get my stuff from Eastwood. They have some nice kits that have all the rouges you need for different metals, plus the buffs. They also have some good how-to videos.

http://www.eastwood.com/buffing.html

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Might have to try this myself before riding season gets here. I've polished stuff before, and never used rouges. On the "derby" cover, I just sanded all the paint off, then shifted to finer paper til it was smooth. Finished by multiple hand polishings using Mother's Mag Polish. It looks just like chrome.

Obviously, with as big an item as the pumpkin is, sanding all the finish off is really not an option. So I'll go the stripper route, followed by sanding, followed by polishing.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Is the 80 ply thick white buffing pad what you guys use to polish? or are there certain pads that are used depending upon what stage you are at in the polishing process? :dontknow:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
That looks pretty good. I've polished several items on mine but haven't tried the hub yet. Most of what I've done I can take off and polish on my bench polisher.

I get my stuff from Eastwood. They have some nice kits that have all the rouges you need for different metals, plus the buffs. They also have some good how-to videos.

http://www.eastwood.com/buffing.html
Thanks for the link zoomer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I will do a few parts, start small and work my way up........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts