M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '07 109 has 1003 miles on it, and last week I picked up a screw in the middle of the rear tire :(. I called the dealer, told him I needed a patch or plug. He tells me that he wont or cant patch or plug the tire. Suzuki told him and all dealers not to. I asked how much a new tire installed would cost me. $235.00!!!! :( I told him okay thanks, and headed straight to the local full service tire shop and had a plug put in the tire. I have put 250 miles on the tire, and it still holds the correct pressure. My question to all of you is do you think the tire is safe? Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's fine. To this day I haven't heard one single story of a plug causing total failure of a tire. The only thing that could happen is that the plug pops out and you loose pressure. But I've never seen a plug make a tire blow out or de-tread. You'll be just fine IMO.

·
Registered
775 Posts
safe? probably; I've had similar problems in the past, but have always replaced the tire. a plug or patch is usually strong, but never guaranteed. on a vehicle a sudden flat can usually be dealt with by a spare. on a bike, there's no such luxury. it's worth the money to me to feel more confident that I'm not gonna be walking several miles. or worse. remember, once that plug is put in, if it comes loose that tire will go flat very quick. could even be dangerous. i just don't take those risks unnecessarily.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Plug it and keep an eye on it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just an FYI, this past spring my buddy pulled his bike out from winter storage and rode 12 miles and still never noticed that he had 0 psi in the rear tire. The only reason that he knew something was wrong was when he got to work and I told him his rear tire looked really low. Then we measured it and the tire gauge didn't even move.

So the moral of the story is, riding on 0 psi isn't the end of the world. Is it bad, heck yeah, but does it mean the tire will fail you you will die? Afraid not. BTW, if it was a front tire my feelings change 100%. I will NOT plug a front tire. I like to push my bike into corners way too much to be messing with a plugged front.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I had a sport bike for 13 years and picked up a few nails, screws, bones, and I don't know what that was but it put a darn hole in the tire.

Dealers will ALWAYS tell you that your tire requires replacement if you puncture it. It is recommended by the manufacturer. It sells tires too...

Anyway, I've always trusted patching over plugging the tires. As long as it was a simple puncture and not torn or cut. I usually removed the tire and used a good quality patch on the inside after preparing the surface properly. It's a little extra work to patch a tire. But it pays in the long run and less of a chance of air leaks on tubeless tires like ours. I even checked the patch on one Dunlop 204 when I replaced it and that patch was solidly vulcanized to the inside of the tire. I could not remove it.

1st choice = patch
Emergency choice = plug and then patch later..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kinda thought i was being played....now, if I can figure how to post a freakin picture!!!!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
walker_mufc said:
it's worth the money to me to feel more confident that I'm not gonna be walking several miles.
You can never feel confident that you aren't gonna be walking several miles.... A new tire can pick up a new hole just as quick as a patched tire can lose pressure and have you walking.

·
Registered
195 Posts
per dunlap you can plug/patch a tier if it is in the center 3/4ths of the tire and then thy state that you are not to go faster then 75MPH
thats what i seen the other day in one of there sights

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
scottr63 said:
would cost me. $235.00!!!! :(
$235!!!!! my dealer is $399.00 but I bought the tire hazzard warantee....plugged it last weekend and had a great couple of rides....might just be my imagination, but it seems to have a tiny vibration from the plug at high speed on nice roads.....YES...I trimmed it flat!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Delmustator said:
I had a sport bike for 13 years and picked up a few nails, screws, bones, and I don't know what that was but it put a darn hole in the tire.

Dealers will ALWAYS tell you that your tire requires replacement if you puncture it. It is recommended by the manufacturer. It sells tires too...

Anyway, I've always trusted patching over plugging the tires. As long as it was a simple puncture and not torn or cut. I usually removed the tire and used a good quality patch on the inside after preparing the surface properly. It's a little extra work to patch a tire. But it pays in the long run and less of a chance of air leaks on tubeless tires like ours. I even checked the patch on one Dunlop 204 when I replaced it and that patch was solidly vulcanized to the inside of the tire. I could not remove it.

1st choice = patch
Emergency choice = plug and then patch later..
I agree Patch first option, plug second option. :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I perfer a "patch plug". They are a patch that has a plug nipple that goes through the hole and then the rest of it is a patch. You get both worlds, it fills the hole like a plug and gives the reliability of a patch. A regular plug would be fine in the direct center, but if you get into the rounder part of the tire I would go with the patch. A plug can work loose if it is in the parts that get the cornering forces. So this is where a patch plug comes in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Removing the tire and having a quality patch glued to the inside is always the best way to repair a puncture, but when on the road and in need of a quick fix, a plug get is a life saver. The only time it gets risky is when the puncture is close to or on the edge of the sidewall where flexing can cause a fix to work loose.

I haven't bought a plug kit but this thread has reminded me to do so soon. :D

EFE M109

·
Registered
96 Posts
Beezel said:
I perfer a "patch plug". They are a patch that has a plug nipple that goes through the hole and then the rest of it is a patch. You get both worlds, it fills the hole like a plug and gives the reliability of a patch. A regular plug would be fine in the direct center, but if you get into the rounder part of the tire I would go with the patch. A plug can work loose if it is in the parts that get the cornering forces. So this is where a patch plug comes in.
What brand do you recommend and where did you buy these "Patch Plugs?"

Thanks,
EFE M109

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think I remember Lamont posting something on these on this site. See if I can find it with a search.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've always just used the regular plugs you get at any wal-mart or auto parts store. I've never had one fail. I'm just trying to save you guys some money. I got the kit I have always used for less than $5 and it has never failed me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts