Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Replace

Votes: 28 58.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum. I've been a member for a little while, I don't do alot of replies or posting (actually this is my first). I've read a lot of good info and seen alot of beautiful 9's on this sight. This may sound like a rookie question, but I work in a car dealership and my expertise is in four wheels not two. Sunday was going great until I started cleaning the garage and saw a nail head sticking out of my rear tire! Now I'm not too happy. The question is wether to repair the tire or replace it. I've got a Avon Cobra and I like the tire the way it holds and everything, but I'm wondering about the safety of the tire if repaired. Any opinions?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hi I'm new to the forum. I've been a member for a little while, I don't do alot of replies or posting (actually this is my first). I've read a lot of good info and seen alot of beautiful 9's on this sight. This may sound like a rookie question, but I work in a car dealership and my expertise is in four wheels not two. Sunday was going great until I started cleaning the garage and saw a nail head sticking out of my rear tire! Now I'm not too happy. The question is wether to repair the tire or replace it. I've got a Avon Cobra and I like the tire the way it holds and everything, but I'm wondering about the safety of the tire if repaired. Any opinions?
I personally don't like to plug motorcycle tires even though i have seen people do it and it is probably safe, but something just gives me the creeps about doing that. I probably would be ok with patching one though. It also depends on a couple of other things, if the tire has high milage i would just get a new one if i could afford it and if you are going to be out running 100 mph i would not want to be on a patched or plugged tire either.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
a nail hole can be patched safely but only from the inside. Forget the plug

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If its a small hole I might try a patch from the inside , if it needs a plug I would say screw it and buy a new tire as it isn't worth your life if you have problems with it on the highway ... I wouldn't trust a patched tire for a long ride or allot of highway riding , at least not on a bike , on a car that is a different story as you have three other tires to keep you from loosing control if one goes ...and you can also put the patched tire on the back where it isn't as much of a problem ...

You just have to decide if saving a few hundred bucks on a new tire is worth the chance of injury .... or worse yet scratching your bike 8)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Dunlops website says they can be safely patched from the inside, but don't exceed 75 mph. I would say it all depends on how you ride. If you ride hard replace it, if you just cruise around patch it. But don't plug it. Plugs (my opinion) are to get you home or to the tire store. It is not a fix.
YMMV

·
Radio Active Member
27,707 Posts
I would replace it but I would use a patch plug if you go that route. That way it fills the hole to keep the steel belts from rusting and then causing more structural problems.

G

·
Having been a MC tire distributor, I have to say it depends.

It depends on the type of punture.

If it is just a simple nail hole within the center 2 3rds of the tread, patch it from the inside and it'll be fine for all normal riding.

If it is punctured by a screw or bolt that is jagged or very large, or it is into the sidewall area of the tire, then it has suffered cord damage and the tire MUST be replaced.

If it is sliced to or through the cord, it's dead. Replace it.

And if you are the type that is going to worry and loose sleep over not being sure about it, replace it. You don't need that distraction in the back of your mind while riding.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got a nail in my rear tire with only about 300 miles. I took the advice of some of the guys on this forum and patched it...but only using a plug type patch that is done from the INSIDE of the tire. 3000 miles later and no problems.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
plugged mine after 6000k and drove it to 9400K, no problems

Plugged my latest tire after just a few thousand miles

still going strong

two previous tires

Yes, I know, I drove them both a might too far.

I check more often now.

Doc

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The nail itself is about 3 inches long, and slides easily in and out of the tire. I do ride it hard, and hit triple digits from time to time. My dealer is advising against repairing the tire. It's close to the wear bars, but it still has some tread. I don't think I'm gonna take it as far as Doc Doc though.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Doc_Doc;1244164 still going strong [IMG said:
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1645&pictureid=11474[/IMG]

Do NOT take tire advice from this man! :joke:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
if its close to the wear bars then i would get a new tire. how much to dismount- patch - remount and balance? in my world it would be a minimum of 25 to 30 dollars. thats a start towards a new tire to me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had a Metzler that I punctured about 500 miles after I bought it probably a nail but no way of knowing. After much research on the forum and elsewhere I plugged the Tire using the cheap vulcanizing plugs from Walmart... I got another 2500 miles out of the tire with no negative results for a while I carried an Air Pump and the patch Kit with me just in case I had to redo it but I never had to do anything with it and after 200 miles or so quit carrying it. Just checked it periodicaly. My suggestion if it makes you nervous change the tire if you are okay with the risk give it a try you might be happy with the results. I was.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.