M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping one of you brave souls will open up your pipes by drilling a 3/8 to 1/2' hole in small round plate you see up in muffler.
Come on, someone's bound to have done it!
Bradbike

G

·
BradBike said:
I'm hoping one of you brave souls will open up your pipes by drilling a 3/8 to 1/2' hole in small round plate you see up in muffler.
Come on, someone's bound to have done it!
Bradbike
I nominate you to be the first :bigthumbsup:.

Anybody Second the nomination??? ::)

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
people please use the search feature. There are a dozen posts on this topic in the tech section (where tech questions should be asked) there are several people who have done it, pictures and all

G

·
BlkM109r said:
people please use the search feature. There are a dozen posts on this topic in the tech section (where tech questions should be asked) there are several people who have done it, pictures and all
You are my Hero :bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
why do small holes? Cut the whole baffle out and be done with it. Like they say....if you're gonna do it, Do It i plan on doing this next weekend when i can get access to the plasma cutter in our shop :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think he's talking about after the baffles are removed... cutting a hole here...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
members have already drilled both walls with a 1 3/8 holesaw(i think) and an extension without removing baffles. i have not seen anybody remove baffles and drill the back wall out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
there is a 12" extension you can buy at Lowe's for like six bucks. it accepts 1/4" bits so you can use it with most bi-metal holesaws. I used a 1/2" holesaw wrapped electrical tape around the saw until it just would go up in pipe then I sprayed a little lubricant on the tape so it wouldn't catch inside pipe and come off. that's it, sounds a little louder but still deep sounding. :D didn't want to get to big all at once. will probably go bigger later, like a 1" holesaw. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
if i am correct, there is another wall behind that one? is this correct slowazz? does anybody know the sound/performance difference between this mod and removing the baffles? im assuming removing the baffles would be louder. i'm waiting to hear from someone who has done both mods.

john

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now, this is what I'm after.
Slowazz has done what I want. I'm also looking for reversability like someone said with freeze plugs.
Since I'm about the oldest 109'R (67..I know there's another like me) and live in an older community with loudness (or obnoxious) restrictions, I want to be able to reverse mod if necessary.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I did it.
Drilled 5/8 hole through first plate and sound just might be the loudness I want. May need someone else to ride bike past me to be sure. (I'm sure I will open up the hole some more.)
Only problem is I won't let anyone else ride it.
Read on another post that there are 3 circular plates up in there.
I drilled mine with a plain drill attached to a 12" extension with a hole saw used as a guiding spacer to insure centering of the hole.
I didn't want to use a hole saw for fear the drilled out circular piece might come off and then how could I get it out?
Wouldn't want that thing rattling around in the muffler.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ok i did it too. i used a 1 3/8 hole saw. just a little bit louder. i think it sounds pretty frickin' good. did loose the slug, but absolutly no rattling. put my ear rite next to the pipe. if i develop a rattle, i will pull the pipe to get to it. all in all, this is a simple mod and well worth it. not as loud as debaffling.

john

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.