M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed my bike doing this for about a month now.

around 3800-5000rpm, ONLY IN 5TH gear (about 90mph) at full throttle. its hard to hear because im moving fast, but theres a clicking/rattling noise. i can hear it through my gas tank, sounds like the motor/clutch. my clutch has felt a little bit weird lately, works fine, but maybe its on its last adjustments before its done with. just find it strange that this noise only is heard in 5th gear. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
this is a kinda general help request ,,,tank insulators missing (they can easyly fall off duriing service
ANY loose faseners ,Rock shield under the rear engine area
Tube nut backing off , not likely but possible ,,,

but to keep this from being a wildgoose chase ,
this engine has over 4 inch pistons and the nature of a V-Twin IT IS gonna Vibrate

Just trying to help :doorag:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
this is a kinda general help request ,,,tank insulators missing (they can easyly fall off duriing service

Just trying to help :doorag:
You have to take that off with the bending tabs. It has to be removed, it will not just fall off.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
Sounds a lot like spark knock to me. Try putting some octanc booster in it and see if it goes away. And make sure you are running 92-93 octane fuel in it.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
What gas are you using? When was the last plug change, when was the last oil change?

When was the last time you checked your oil? What oil are you using?

How many miles on your bike?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bike is an 06 with 11,200mi. oil is good, always use 10-40synthetic. always use 93 gas. noise sheild is still under the gas tank. its not the vibration that concerns me, its the knocking. im leaning towards spark. i notice that it happens most after bike is 100% heated up and the air is warm-hot. cold days, the knock is less noticable. plugs were changed start of this riding season, about 5000mi ago

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
You have to take that off with the bending tabs. It has to be removed, it will not just fall off.
He's talking about the 2 rubber pads. They fall of if tank is forced back on, or bumped.;)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
bike is an 06 with 11,200mi. oil is good, always use 10-40synthetic. always use 93 gas. noise sheild is still under the gas tank. its not the vibration that concerns me, its the knocking. im leaning towards spark. i notice that it happens most after bike is 100% heated up and the air is warm-hot. cold days, the knock is less noticable. plugs were changed start of this riding season, about 5000mi ago
Did you go to the colder plugs? I did and it backed off some. But that was only after the TRE installed.:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I wonder if these plugs need to be properly gapped prior to installation?

Are they the same plugs as the stock ones?

·
Registered
665 Posts
noticed my bike doing this for about a month now.

around 3800-5000rpm, ONLY IN 5TH gear (about 90mph) at full throttle. its hard to hear because im moving fast, but theres a clicking/rattling noise. i can hear it through my gas tank, sounds like the motor/clutch. my clutch has felt a little bit weird lately, works fine, but maybe its on its last adjustments before its done with. just find it strange that this noise only is heard in 5th gear. :dontknow:
What I heard on mine is quick 'tongue, tongue, tongue.' sound from the engine. I sort of like it.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
You lost me on this one. Maybe its a different year, different assembly thing. Every time I take off my tank the insulators go rolling across the garage floor.:eek:

One of these days I'll freakin remember to put some type of adhesive on them.:'(

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Sounds a lot like spark knock to me. Try putting some octanc booster in it and see if it goes away. And make sure you are running 92-93 octane fuel in it.
A lot of places you cannot get higher than 91. Here in Oklahoma City area 93 is rarer than a hen's tooth. I know of one station that sells it, and BOY, does he get a premium price for it. About 50 cents higher than Shell 91 V-Power. There is another Shell station that sells 93, and last time I saw, he was asking $4.89 a gallon.:yikes:

Not bloody lilely to pay that rip-off of a price for 93.:verymad:

On the other hand, do the math on 10% ethanol in 91 octane fuel.
Ethanol is 130 octane. So at 10% we get something like this.
9 X 91 = 819 819 + 130 = 949 949 / 10 = 94.0
So you can get 95 octane fuel if you run 10% ethanol. Yes I know you need to richen it up due to the ethanol. Ain't it funny that those of us who run custom intakes and exhausts have a way to do exactly that? I've been running 10% ethanol Shell V-Power since I installed the TFI Feul Injection Module, and still get a nice dark gray inside to my Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust. I just set it a bit richer than the recommended settings on three of the four pots. Bike runs really good and does not seem to mind the ethanol at all. I do add a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each tank for top-end lubrication.

I also use Suzuki 20W-50 oil, which tends to quiet some motor noise. I've not really noticed any unwelcome noise on mine yet. OTOH, who does not like an old noisy V-8? This bike kind of reminds me of that, just enough motor noise to give it some character.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
A lot of places you cannot get higher than 91. Here in Oklahoma City area 93 is rarer than a hen's tooth. I know of one station that sells it, and BOY, does he get a premium price for it. About 50 cents higher than Shell 91 V-Power. There is another Shell station that sells 93, and last time I saw, he was asking $4.89 a gallon.:yikes:

Not bloody lilely to pay that rip-off of a price for 93.:verymad:

On the other hand, do the math on 10% ethanol in 91 octane fuel.
Ethanol is 130 octane. So at 10% we get something like this.
9 X 91 = 819 819 + 130 = 949 949 / 10 = 94.0
So you can get 95 octane fuel if you run 10% ethanol. Yes I know you need to richen it up due to the ethanol. Ain't it funny that those of us who run custom intakes and exhausts have a way to do exactly that? I've been running 10% ethanol Shell V-Power since I installed the TFI Feul Injection Module, and still get a nice dark gray inside to my Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust. I just set it a bit richer than the recommended settings on three of the four pots. Bike runs really good and does not seem to mind the ethanol at all. I do add a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each tank for top-end lubrication.

I also use Suzuki 20W-50 oil, which tends to quiet some motor noise. I've not really noticed any unwelcome noise on mine yet. OTOH, who does not like an old noisy V-8? This bike kind of reminds me of that, just enough motor noise to give it some character.:bigthumbsup:
I mostly run the Shell V-Power in mine too, but it's 93 octane with "up to 10% ethanol". I wonder if they recalculate the octane to account for the added ethanol, so you're still getting 93 octane, or if it's better than that?

Either way, mine still spark knocks lightly even with 93 octane and my fueling bumped up and with one step colder plugs. Not enough that it worries me, I consider it like the way we used to set the timing on old cars. Step it up until it spark knocked, then back it off a little. :D

I also add a little bit of the Marvel Mystery Oil every couple months, and a little Seafoam to it every other tank.

That tank insulator that Ryan is mentioning is the metallic heat insulator under the tank, it is held on with a few tabs that bend over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts