M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a 160/60 front tire, please explain If, How and Why the handling is better? I just ordered my Metz 160, and I want to understand the machanics and geometry behind the concept of better handling due to the front tire being closer to the size of the back tire (I am running an E3 250 on the back). I have my own thoughts, but I want to hear yours. If your an expert in this, then give it all you got incl. formulas. But I also want to hear from the seat of the pants crowd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
clueless

Afelix I have no comment on that but you might can answer a question for me. I am thinking about putting a car tire on the rear of mine for more mileage. I also run the e3's. I am getting about 6,000 out of them. but i was told that with a car tire on the back i could get about 25000. what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Afelix I have no comment on that but you might can answer a question for me. I am thinking about putting a car tire on the rear of mine for more mileage. I also run the e3's. I am getting about 6,000 out of them. but i was told that with a car tire on the back i could get about 25000. what are your thoughts?
Ahhh Darrell, There has been a debate about using car tires over motorcycles. There was on guy on here that did it. Others were saying that since a car tire is more square than a motorcycle tire they will have problems with turns and sharp corners.
IMO I would stick with the motorcycle tires. Do some research and find what one gets the best mileage. There's alot of folks that run the Meltzer's, Avon's, and Dunnies. Hit up the search. It's a PITA but I think you'll be able to find the threat.

Afelix, I just read a day or so ago one of the members explaining the difference between a 130 and a 160. Being that the 130 is a smaller tire it's got to rotate faster. Pushing the front of the bike out. The 160 I've heard is much easier to handle in the turns. (don't have to counter steer as hard as a 130) also have read that the 160 gives a smoother ride. I've only read once that it is recommended to go to a wider front wheel for the 160. Don't remember what width. I'm going to go 280 and 160. So I'm in search of that again before I order my wheels.

G

·
Both tires need to work together at every lean angle to provide neutral cornering. It is actually the tires that do the turning, the handlebars cause the lean angle. As a motorcycle turns, it has to balance the center of mass over the path of travel. As you lean that balance requires equaling the forces of gravity and centripital force. The force wanting to pull it down aganst the force wanting it to fall outwards. If the tires size and profile don't provide the optimal turning force at a given angle, you end up having to countersteer to compensate. Our 9s with stock tires oversteer. Meaning the small front tire doesn't turn at the same rate as the rear. It turns too small of a circle at a given lean angle compared to the rear. This makes the bike want to come up in a turn. So to keep it turning you have to turn the bars opposite the direction of the turn. This forces the smaller tire to roll in a larger diameter circle. Most people just get used to pushing on the inside bar to compensate and it becomes normal. The problem is that this uses a portion of the total available traction of the tires footprint to provide that countersteering force. This leaves less for max cornering traction. The foot print of the stock size front tire is alread to small to begin with. The other problem is ground clearance. The short narrow stock tire keeps the bike closer to the ground. The larger wider 160 rolls in a larger diameter circle at all lean angles and provides more ground clearance and a bigger footprint for mor traction. With the 160/260 combo I can take my hands off the handlebars in the middle of a turn and it will keep turning. If you do that with the stock tires the bike would stand up and want to go staight. That's oversteer. If you went too far the otherway, understeer the bike would want to keep falling over in a turn and you'd have to turn the bars into the turn to keep it from falling over.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
160/60

Now that you have heard from the expert,its time for the seat of the pants guys...this tire is made for the bike...it really changes the feel of the bike for the better...really smooths out the road imperfections...the biggest change was running on road resurfacing grooves,for a rookie rider this situation can be unnerving to say the least with the stock tire...the 160 transforms this situation into a non issue...you can actually take one hand off the bars probably both(not recommended)and it wont increase your heart-rate....it really is a night and day difference...It would probably look better on a 4.25" wheel but it seems to handle fine on the stock size rim..no regrets hear..absolutely love it..!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
No idea why it's superior to stock, it just feels better all around. One minor issue is that it picks up rocks on dirt/gravel roads and they sometimes can either hit the back lip of the front fender or are carried thru the fender....not a good sound

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any personal experiance using a car tire, but I ride with a guy that has one on his wing, and he loves it. He told me that the diff he feels is when cornering, you have to push through the turn vs the bike falling into the turn. I don't think I would run a car tire on this bike.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both tires need to work together at every lean angle to provide neutral cornering. It is actually the tires that do the turning, the handlebars cause the lean angle. As a motorcycle turns, it has to balance the center of mass over the path of travel. As you lean that balance requires equaling the forces of gravity and centripital force. The force wanting to pull it down aganst the force wanting it to fall outwards. If the tires size and profile don't provide the optimal turning force at a given angle, you end up having to countersteer to compensate. Our 9s with stock tires oversteer. Meaning the small front tire doesn't turn at the same rate as the rear. It turns too small of a circle at a given lean angle compared to the rear. This makes the bike want to come up in a turn. So to keep it turning you have to turn the bars opposite the direction of the turn. This forces the smaller tire to roll in a larger diameter circle. Most people just get used to pushing on the inside bar to compensate and it becomes normal. The problem is that this uses a portion of the total available traction of the tires footprint to provide that countersteering force. This leaves less for max cornering traction. The foot print of the stock size front tire is alread to small to begin with. The other problem is ground clearance. The short narrow stock tire keeps the bike closer to the ground. The larger wider 160 rolls in a larger diameter circle at all lean angles and provides more ground clearance and a bigger footprint for mor traction. With the 160/260 combo I can take my hands off the handlebars in the middle of a turn and it will keep turning. If you do that with the stock tires the bike would stand up and want to go staight. That's oversteer. If you went too far the otherway, understeer the bike would want to keep falling over in a turn and you'd have to turn the bars into the turn to keep it from falling over.
This is great stuff. Thank you. I would still be interrested in hearing from more people about their before and after experiances.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I loved my 160, and could not believe the difference between the 130 and 160. Just try it, the worst thing that could happen is that you don't care for it and go back to a 130, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow. That is the best explanation I've ever read. I've always known that there was some science going on while I push the inside handle forward. Now I know, THANKS!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Unfortunately, the 160/60 mod is one you'll never believe until you do it. Or maybe a fellow rider with the 160/60 will let you ride their bike to feel the difference. The 160/60 absorbs bumps better, increases ground clearance in the corners, and fill out the fender like it was meant to be.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have the E3 250 rear and the Metz.160 front this is the best mod that i have done next to the GIPRO.I went through the stock front cupping problem had the E3 130 mounted and that piece of chit wore uneven after 600 miles mind you i watch my air.I would never go back to a 130 front.The 160 absorbs the rough road cracks and man hole covers and man does it make turning a dream.Even my wife noticed the difference she loves the new tires.And it looks like it was maid to fit the bike.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.