M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know, I'd reconciled myself to the "Jap Bike" comments from certain members of the motorcycle community but one that I've never quite been able to take in stride are the "Plastic Bike" ones.

Now before all of you coming to the M109 from the sport bike side of things go off about weight savings and such, hear me out: I'm OK with the body sections where the engineers made a deliberate choice to use plastic over metal. But today as I was cleaning the bike and looking more closely at the air cleaners with intent to mod them, I realized that what you perceive as the heads are fake plastic covers. This really disappoints me. I have friends that wax sentimental over knuckleheads, panheads, shovelheads, etc. I can just see my contribution to the conversation, "Gee guys, I don't know WHAT my heads look like but aren't these nifty plastic chrome covers?"

Bottom line is I don't mind plastic that performs a function and comes with some rationale for its use. But I don't much care for the idea that I'm riding a "Hot Wheels" like bike with crap plastic faux this and that just to look bad ass or whatever.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alien109 said:
Doesn't just look bad ass it is BADASS :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :evil:
What? The plastic engine covers? Yeah I've seen some badass Hot Wheels too.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
sounds to me you are worried too much about what others think of you. not only that, but worried what harley riders think of you. both pretty useless worries imo. if it really bothers you that much, buy the 07 ones, they are metal.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
One way to look at it is it saved you money, because had they used metal for all body panels and chrome covers (like Harley), you would have paid a lot more for the bike (like Harley). If the price isn't an issue, then just wait a bit on the aftermarket to catch up, and just start to buy the "real thing" when it comes out. You can't get this much bike for this little without making sacrifices in some areas. Personally, I would rather these sacrifices be cosmetic rather than in performance. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
gm2inco said:
Ya know, I'd reconciled myself to the "Jap Bike" comments from certain members of the motorcycle community but one that I've never quite been able to take in stride are the "Plastic Bike" ones.

Now before all of you coming to the M109 from the sport bike side of things go off about weight savings and such, hear me out: I'm OK with the body sections where the engineers made a deliberate choice to use plastic over metal. But today as I was cleaning the bike and looking more closely at the air cleaners with intent to mod them, I realized that what you perceive as the heads are fake plastic covers. This really disappoints me. I have friends that wax sentimental over knuckleheads, panheads, shovelheads, etc. I can just see my contribution to the conversation, "Gee guys, I don't know WHAT my heads look like but aren't these nifty plastic chrome covers?"

Bottom line is I don't mind plastic that performs a function and comes with some rationale for its use. But I don't much care for the idea that I'm riding a "Hot Wheels" like bike with crap plastic faux this and that just to look bad ass or whatever.
those are cosmetic covers for the spark plugs/valve covers. If ya want you can get the 07' parts in metal. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steve j said:
those are cosmetic covers for the spark plugs/valve covers.
Well... If they are just "cosmetic", they could probably be gotten rid of entirely, huh? Hmm....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Medic1210 said:
One way to look at it is it saved you money, because had they used metal for all body panels and chrome covers (like Harley), you would have paid a lot more for the bike (like Harley). If the price isn't an issue, then just wait a bit on the aftermarket to catch up, and just start to buy the "real thing" when it comes out. You can't get this much bike for this little without making sacrifices in some areas. Personally, I would rather these sacrifices be cosmetic rather than in performance. :bigthumbsup:
+1 :bigthumbsup:

Lotta bike for the money and then you can let fly with the mods :D

Even if a Harley's your thing, in Oz you'll spend more makin IT a 'decent' ride than you will on your 9 makin it an 'awesome' ride imho What am I sayin? It's AWESOME as standard :evil:

No offense 'gm2inco' but I knew they (and other things) were plastic when I bought it :dontknow: As far as other peoples opinions go, I must remember to ask the next crowd that surrounds my bike if the plastic turns them off :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I understand what your saying. To tell you the truth I didn't even notice they were plastic. I wax them everytime I ride my 9. This does not change my opinion of the bike at all. It definitely does not change the performance or stability of the bike. I think the rationale from Suzuki when it was designed was to deliver as much bike as possible for the dollar. If you think about it our bikes have as much and more than most bikes on the market yet they are a lot less $$$$$$. Which leaves us with more money to add and modify the bike however you want. Happy Turkey Day to everyone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't even think about the plastic parts, no one will even know unless they start pecking around on the bike and when they start doing that I'm gonna tell them to keep their grubby paws off. As far as those hunk of iron Harley's, when they say something wise about the plastic on my bike, I just have to laugh because they know it out rides, out handles, and definitely will outrun any of them. When I had my VTX I got alot of jap bike comments as well as plastic parts comments, they forgot all about those things when they were trying to figure out how to catch up with me :D. I agree with the others here, if it bothers you start replacing parts, but I would just have some fun with it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
YES, We feel your pain, to save money for engineering, to save money for plastic vs metal, to save money for the best out there. BUT I do enjoy the Hot Wheels comment. You have summed it up in just two words, GOOD JOB. JOHN

Happy Thanksgiving to all - I wonder what would happen if Borat met a bunch of Harley Riders and then a bunch of M109r Riders. The conversations would be hilarious.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
gm2inco said:
Well... If they are just "cosmetic", they could probably be gotten rid of entirely, huh? Hmm....
Sure, if you wanna see the plug wires. ::)

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
#1 who cares if the cosmetic parts are plastic? they're just cosmetic. As long as the go fast parts are metal, that's all that matters.

#2 Medic- love the avatar mod. The other day i was thinking about doing that except adding a Klan hood to him. that krazy kramer!
actually i believe that it was all a bad mis-understanding and that he uses the same comedy writer as Kerry. it was a botched joke about the president

G

·
The real question if you could purchase a chromed metal part as an example for the head covers what would you pay?  I am sure you could get a local machine shop to make you up some and have them chromed.

I don't think that a manufacuture could even break even on a part like that.

Owners of non Harley bikes are not about the bling they are about performance and value.

This bike already weights 700lbs dry, start throwing a bunch of metal on it and it is going to be over 750 or more.

Not my bag for sure.

TAZ

G

·
Sounds like you need to sell the bike and get a Hardly. It's obvious that you're too worried about what others think about you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why do so many members define their bike in terms of a Harley? We see comparisons, nicknames such as Harley killer, Hardly, Buh Bye HD, etc. If we are so confident about our bikes (as we should be!) then why are we so concerned with a bike that is so dia-metrically ("metrically" - pun intended) opposed to ours? Sometimes it seems we have Harley-envy when we protest too much. Japanese bikes have more plastic than Harleys - so what?!
"Owners of non Harley bikes are not about the bling they are about performance and value." Well said Taz!

Forget the Harleys - Our bikes are different and we are different. We ride for different reasons than them. They ride Harleys to ride a Harley. They claim to be rebels and unique yet they all dress the same and succombed to the advertising branding campaign that Harley has pioneered. Read this:
http://www.webpronews.com/enterprise/marketing/wpn-16-20050728CasestudyHarleyDavidson.html
I read a better article on this once in Motorcycle Cruiser I believe.

Be proud of what we ride and the fact that you chose an awesome looking performance machine. We didn't buy a Harley to have a Harley, nor did we fall prey to an ingenious branding campaign that began in 1983. M109 Riders are TRULY unique, not brainwashed sheep.

I'll take the plastic thank you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Personally, I bought the 109 for looks and performance and just as important, how well it fit me. The fact that some parts are plastic doesn't bother me in the least. I constantly get comments like "Is that a Harley" or "You got you a new hog" but most of these comments come from non-riders and they pretty much call any motorcycle a Harley or a Hog. Just goes to show that Harley has a huge following. I don't have anything against them but at this time, they just don't make a bike that fits me in the style I like. V-rod is the closest thing they have but it just isn't big enough for my body type. Buy and ride what you like and enjoy it! There will always be others that will have different likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
katz let me help you guys all motorcycles are the same and so are the riders they are all diffrent :bigthumbsup: anyway when your out buying a bike do you say im here to spend as much money as possible or can afford. well i did not do that i went out and said the same thing as all the people that slobber over it (thats a big bitGh hell yeah)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm going to throw my .5 cent opinion on this topic coming from both worlds American V Twin & Metric the plastic used to bother me   also but that soon disappeared when I understood why they do it and I think all metrics do it as far as I know. When first switching from Harley's and believe me I was a hard core hate all other brands kind of HD rider and moving to Yammi I was bummed out about all the plastic but at the time money was an issue and I was also tired & bored with the whole HD scene. After the shock wore off and two Yamaha's later it was all good then I switched back to the custom world and man I spent more time cleaning the  :edit: things then I did riding, those chrome metal heads might sound nice but add in all the polished aluminum, chrome, custom paint etc and you have alot of work on your hands. Plus all that metal scratches just as easy as the plastic does and cost a  :edit: more to replace. Don't worry about what anybody says about your metric tell them our Asian brothers have developed a new space age polymer chrome that is lite weight & cost less. Besides look at an HD monthly payment book versus your 109! Ride What You Like, Like What You Ride! Peace out! :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts