M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a trip to Key West. Going to be riding from Kentucky to the Naval Air Station to stay for a couple of days of R & R. I was wondering who is down there I can meet up with for a ride? You can PM me or call me at (270) 779-0186.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

bumpty bump------------------------

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Planning a trip to Key West. Going to be riding from Kentucky to the Naval Air Station to stay for a couple of days of R & R. I was wondering who is down there I can meet up with for a ride? You can PM me or call me at (270) 779-0186.
PM Sent

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the encouragement

I said that I was planning a trip but haven't decided yet. I'll be 52 this year and I'm not the spring chicken I used to be (Disabled yet/Back issues). I would really like to go though! I have the time and resources but it's still on the drawing board. I'm just wondering if I can make it physically? I'll be making a concrete decision within a few weeks. :dontknow: just yet! Still on a FENCE!!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I said that I was planning a trip but haven't decided yet. I'll be 52 this year and I'm not the spring chicken I used to be (Disabled yet/Back issues). I would really like to go though! I have the time and resources but it's still on the drawing board. I'm just wondering if I can make it physically? I'll be making a concrete decision within a few weeks. :dontknow: just yet! Still on a FENCE!!!
I rode from Miami to Key West last year and I had a blast! Especially if the weather is good, the sky bridges are beautiful! Be prepared for a long straight highway riding though it can push your patience. But its totally worth it when you get down there!

Another piece of advice, if your walking around at night in the party area be careful of pretty girls standing above 5'9" :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
:drool::drool: Right now I would consider this my dream trip. If I could ever get my health issues in order, I plan on making the same trip. Hopefully I can make it before the summer is over. Good luck on making the trip and having a good time. I will be watching to see if it comes together so I will know who to turn to for advice. :D:D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
tbar, I drove about 200 miles round trip today from Key West to Key Largo to get my bike serviced. I left about 6:00 Am and watched the sunrise over the Keys. Not a cloud in the sky, Atlantic & Gulf of Mexico flat calm. Stopped in Marathon for a fresh Grouper sandwich. Then I stooped at Boca Chica Naval Air station for an air show. All and all a great day ! I guess what I'm saying its worth the trip if you never drove the Overseas Highway.
I took this photo at the top of the 7-mile bridge last year to give you a taste of what you might see.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Nice shot! Going over the bridges was a great experience and we had great weather too. Was all the better with the tunes we had on at the time, I'd love to do it again sometime!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I live in sw florida and made the trip a year ago. you get to the miami area and you think that you are just about there,,,,,,,NOT. that is a long ride all the way to the key's. I stayed in the melbourne area overnight, I figure for a lowesy 50-60 bucks it was worth it. Have a safe trip, take lots of pics.

If you end up coming down the west coast of florida let me know

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
tbar, I drove about 200 miles round trip today from Key West to Key Largo to get my bike serviced. I left about 6:00 Am and watched the sunrise over the Keys. Not a cloud in the sky, Atlantic & Gulf of Mexico flat calm. Stopped in Marathon for a fresh Grouper sandwich. Then I stooped at Boca Chica Naval Air station for an air show. All and all a great day ! I guess what I'm saying its worth the trip if you never drove the Overseas Highway.
I took this photo at the top of the 7-mile bridge last year to give you a taste of what you might see.

That is just awsum , Krusinn was tryin to talk me into a trip down there and Camping last year ,mabey I should reconsider
thanks for the pic :2cool:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, that sure is a pretty shot!

I asked my wife if she thought I could make it down there or not and she states that I could. She sees me at my worst so maybe I can!

·
Registered
319 Posts
We did a KW trip in early March of 2009. We were pussies and trailered our bikes to Jupiter and rode from there. Seriously, it was cold as F and we didn't have much time. It's a fantastic place to go on a bike. There's a lot of cool bars but be sure to stop in to Cowboy Bill's while you're there. www.cowboybillskw.com

:D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
TRAILER, YEP, That's what I'm going to do!

My wife called it a hero's journey - To find yourself. A spiritual journey. With a ruptured L5 S1 and multiple other disks that are bulging I think I could call it something else, like - SUICIDE!! I think I'm going to be a pussy and trailer my bike. So much for being a hero.

I have to go in for cortozine shots in my cervical spine here real soon. BUT - I'm going. I do believe I'm going to trailer the bike to Homestead Air Reserve Base and bike to Naval Air Station where I'll be staying for a couple of days.

I've already talked to Southernmost109 and I look forward to meeting him and any other 9ers that will be in the area. I wonder what there is to do there except enjoy the sun, surf and the pretty girls? Hell if I want to find myself, be a hero or attempt a spiritual journey I think I'll do some parasailing or go to "Danger Charters" they have alot of really cool things to do.

I probaly won't be doing any bar hopping as I haven't drank in over a decade. If I did they would probaly deport me back to Kentucky where I have made my home or New York where I was born. Well, probaly not New York because when I enlisted in the military in 1976 the judge told me not to come back. :eek: :joke: He did me a favor actually! I turned out to be a much better person. :bigthumbsup:

I haven't set dates yet but tommorow I will and post them so if anyone of you are in the area we can possibly get together for a coke and some tall tales. I have alot of them "Fireside Stories" that I've managed to accumulate over my 52 years of which I spent 20 years as a US Army Infantryman. Hope to see some of you soon.

P.S. The last two folks I talked to said that they went for a short stay and never left.

We did a KW trip in early March of 2009. We were pussies and trailered our bikes to Jupiter and rode from there. Seriously, it was cold as F and we didn't have much time. It's a fantastic place to go on a bike. There's a lot of cool bars but be sure to stop in to Cowboy Bill's while you're there. www.cowboybillskw.com

:D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My wife called it a hero's journey - To find yourself. A spiritual journey. With a ruptured L5 S1 and multiple other disks that are bulging I think I could call it something else, like - SUICIDE!! I think I'm going to be a pussy and trailer my bike. So much for being a hero.

I have to go in for cortozine shots in my cervical spine here real soon. BUT - I'm going. I do believe I'm going to trailer the bike to Homestead Air Reserve Base and bike to Naval Air Station where I'll be staying for a couple of days.

I've already talked to Southernmost109 and I look forward to meeting him and any other 9ers that will be in the area. I wonder what there is to do there except enjoy the sun, surf and the pretty girls? Hell if I want to find myself, be a hero or attempt a spiritual journey I think I'll do some parasailing or go to "Danger Charters" they have alot of really cool things to do.

I probably won't be doing any bar hopping as I haven't drank in over a decade. If I did they would probably deport me back to Kentucky where I have made my home or New York where I was born. Well, probably not New York because when I enlisted in the military in 1976 the judge told me not to come back. :eek: :joke: He did me a favor actually! I turned out to be a much better person. :bigthumbsup:

I haven't set dates yet but tommorow I will and post them so if anyone of you are in the area we can possibly get together for a coke and some tall tales. I have alot of them "Fireside Stories" that I've managed to accumulate over my 52 years of which I spent 20 years as a US Army Infantryman. Hope to see some of you soon.

P.S. The last two folks I talked to said that they went for a short stay and never left.
Depending on what day you plan on leaving Homestead AFB, I might be able to meet you there and drive down the Keys with you. I know all the good stops along the way.
"Beware Visiting Key West", I drove down to Key west in 1980 for a weekend trip and I'm still here :eek: !! My friend Hage is a captain for Danger Charters, I'll see if I can get you some tickets. I haven't had a drink in many years either. I'm afraid if I started drinking again I would wake up in handcuffs. Theres so many things to do I cant fit them all on a page. Fishing ,Diving, kayak tours, Historical tours, Ghost tours, Hundreds of Restaurants, Shopping on Duval St, Treasure exhibits, Tennis, Golf, .
Did I mention BODY PAINTING !!!!!:redfaced:

·
Banned
408 Posts
Welcome to the "YOUR SPINE IS SCREWED UP" club. I have a bulging disc in the exact area as you do. Last summer was horrible, severe pain down my left leg, constant tingling & numbness, it got worse to the point I felt like dying. I finally went to the right Dr. and in a 6 month period I received 3 cortizone shots, the last one was 2 weeks ago. How do I feel now? GREAT on the left side but now my right side is starting to hurt. Get the injections & buy a elliptical machine and use it daily, it's great for the back & joints. I rode my B king last week for the 1st time since last august and did 70 miles, I was sore in the lower back but nothing severe. GOODLUCK!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been There, Done That

I had 2 of three injections in my neck 2 years ago and I'm just now going back for more. Had 17 seperate back injuries on active duty over my 20 years. I used to get pain in my leg but following the rupture it isn't so bad anymore. My neck is what ails me now along with the center of my back where I had some broken bones following a MC accident in 2001. Not getting any younger but what the hell.

This year I'm going to Key West and Deals Gap. Next year my oldest son is getting married and the following year my wife and I are going to Ireland.
"Lifes Too Short, Eat Dessert FIRST"! Live life to it's fullest! And when all else fails :duck:

Welcome to the "YOUR SPINE IS SCREWED UP" club. I have a bulging disc in the exact area as you do. Last summer was horrible, severe pain down my left leg, constant tingling & numbness, it got worse to the point I felt like dying. I finally went to the right Dr. and in a 6 month period I received 3 cortizone shots, the last one was 2 weeks ago. How do I feel now? GREAT on the left side but now my right side is starting to hurt. Get the injections & buy a elliptical machine and use it daily, it's great for the back & joints. I rode my B king last week for the 1st time since last august and did 70 miles, I was sore in the lower back but nothing severe. GOODLUCK!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.