M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tubular not backed out and clutch wont dis-engage was on my way to St. louis barley got out of town. Lucky I was with in 10 miles of home not 300 away. but it ruined a nice 4 day visit to my father. Called suzuki and of course this was not common knowledge to them. Filed my complaint and start calling around to borrow a trailer to take it to the shop. listans thread is a great write up but allitle to involved for my skills.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine crapped out on me last week. Depending on who you talk to this is a rare issue, or a common problem. I got my bike used 3 months ago. The sales manager at the dealer I bought it from picked me and bike up. Once they actually looked inside there was no damage. The nut just backed off. They wanted to charge me $380. I complained a little, so they contacted Suzuki and they said it's a known issue. They recommend replacing the primary drive when it happens, which would be another $230 for the part. Luckily most of the labor will be billed to Suzuki. But I'm still going to be out of $260.

Key here: don't fall for the "its not a big problem" crap. Suzuki and the dealer tried to say they could only find a couple people on the Internet that say they have had this happen to them. I spent about 15mins, copied a few pages and emailed them. I got a "oh, we didn't see that before" story.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
When this happen to me the first time, I immediately contacted Suzuki and the said it has never happen... that like two years ago and what a hundred bikes on this site plus how much other sites you read it on from around the world and the countless complains Suzuki got about this problem
only a few, OK

Mine crapped out on me last week. Depending on who you talk to this is a rare issue, or a common problem. I got my bike used 3 months ago. The sales manager at the dealer I bought it from picked me and bike up. Once they actually looked inside there was no damage. The nut just backed off. They wanted to charge me $380. I complained a little, so they contacted Suzuki and they said it's a known issue. They recommend replacing the primary drive when it happens, which would be another $230 for the part. Luckily most of the labor will be billed to Suzuki. But I'm still going to be out of $260.

Key here: don't fall for the "its not a big problem" crap. Suzuki and the dealer tried to say they could only find a couple people on the Internet that say they have had this happen to them. I spent about 15mins, copied a few pages and emailed them. I got a "oh, we didn't see that before" story.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
The total percentage of bikes it happens to is really small. I am guessing well under .5% of total bikes. So, it isn't a huge issue as far as numbers. However, it is b.s. for them to act like they haven't heard of this before because it has been a known problem now for 4 years.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine happened at approximately 5K miles and 3 days left on the service contract. The dealer picked up the bike from the breakdown spot and had it fixed several days later. The service manager would not give me any paperwork for the fix because they were taking care of the bill. I thought this was weird but did not argue over free. Make the dealer fix for free and bill Suzuki. Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have 2600 miles on my 09...its making a noticable noise now when the clutch is in, always made a bit of a noise but i figured it was normal....now as mentioned it has gotten worse, not loud but just more noticable....does this sound familiar ? I'm wondering whether to take it to the dealer...:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2600 miles on my 09...its making a noticable noise now when the clutch is in, always made a bit of a noise but i figured it was normal....now as mentioned it has gotten worse, not loud but just more noticable....does this sound familiar ? I'm wondering whether to take it to the dealer...:dontknow:
dont think I can help you here. as that sounds like a different problem. mine was working fine, driving along went around a bend where a mini vwn was merging from the right, so I pulled in the clutch to blip the motor to warn the van I was there. and the bike lurched like it was still in gear. slowed down and tryed several other things and sure enough pull in the clutch and never dis-engages. cable is in tact and moving the rod up and down going into the engine.

G

·
dont think I can help you here. as that sounds like a different problem. mine was working fine, driving along went around a bend where a mini vwn was merging from the right, so I pulled in the clutch to blip the motor to warn the van I was there. and the bike lurched like it was still in gear. slowed down and tryed several other things and sure enough pull in the clutch and never dis-engages. cable is in tact and moving the rod up and down going into the engine.
So in effect you're saying a little clutch noise on these bikes is "normal"?

Interested to hear how this turns out. Better to be where you were than the middle of no-where. What kinda miles on your bike? First time this type of thing has happened?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Interested to hear how this turns out. Better to be where you were than the middle of no-where. What kinda miles on your bike? First time this type of thing has happened?
not quite sure if your talking about the post preceeding mine or what? I never said anything about clutch noise?
16.000 miles first time it happened It better not happen again. If this happened in a car , ( you pick one of the hundreds of nuts in a motor or drivetrain that are internal) Im preety sure the dealers would be all over this.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts

Clutch noise is normal when in neutral and the clutch is completely let out just sitting there. Should not be any noise when you pull the clutch lever in.

G

·
not quite sure if your talking about the post preceeding mine or what? I never said anything about clutch noise?
16.000 miles first time it happened It better not happen again. If this happened in a car , ( you pick one of the hundreds of nuts in a motor or drivetrain that are internal) Im preety sure the dealers would be all over this.
In effect you said to him, different problem.

I meant that to be either you had clutch noise prior and it was "normal", or you did not have any noise at all prior to this incident. Should have been more clear.

But no warning signs at all before this, as you go through your last few rides in your mind?

G

·
Clutch noise is normal when in neutral and the clutch is completely let out just sitting there. Should not be any noise when you pull the clutch lever in.
Ok, I wear earplugs when I ride, so I have never really listened. I have some light chattering when it's in neutral, *sounds* like it could be coming from clutch area. If it goes down in volume with clutch lever pulled, it's so small of a difference I can't hear it. Maybe it's not my clutch making the noise! Could be just engine sounds.........

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

I meant that to be either you had clutch noise prior and it was "normal", or you did not have any noise at all prior to this incident. Should have been more clear.
its all good, every 9 I have heard has allitle clicking when the clutch is in neturl . so I would say this must be normal mine didnt sound any different then day one when I bought it. I defer to the more experianced riders on the site weather this is normal or not.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I wear earplugs when I ride, so I have never really listened. I have some light chattering when it's in neutral, *sounds* like it could be coming from clutch area. If it goes down in volume with clutch lever pulled, it's so small of a difference I can't hear it. Maybe it's not my clutch making the noise! Could be just engine sounds.........
maybe it the injectors firing you hear. I think others have talked about this, way above my skills

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had mine go out in July of 08. 2 hundred miles from home. I posted a thread on it back then.A dealer Tightend the nut back up and pinged it so it could'nt come loose again. Have not had any issues since.21,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Talked to service guy today. They're still waiting on the parts from Suzuki.

I agree that if it we're in a car something would have been done by now. I imagine since no one has gotten hurt or sued, Suzuki can choose to ignore the problem. If they don't want to do a full recall, at least make it part of a routine inspection and repair it on an as needed.

·
Registered
179 Posts

But no warning signs at all before this, as you go through your last few rides in your mind?
zzzactly :bigthumbsup: Sounds like no warning signs were obvious.....I'm just noise sensitive...:duck:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts