M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Pipes are not something i would ask advice on,only for performance.As for stile it should be what you prefer.I love the Cobra swepts no baffles.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
i am after pipes for my m109r what are the better ones :dontknow: ****
You might as well asked us to pick you a woman....it's all about looks,style,cost,and performance.....you could throw a little durability in the mix too...... Go to the forum that has "Show us your pipe" to get an idea of what looks good to you. Then search all the U-Tubes for sound...they're not accurate but it will give you an idea. Next talk to people about the pipes they bought and what power gains they might have gotten. Some of the members have even made their own and they look pretty damned good. This will actually be fun for you...good luck in your search.

·
Registered
534 Posts
:agree::agree:
Pipes are so much about the performance, but how they look to YOU is also very important. Everyone loves what they have on their own bike. I have Vance & Hines Big Shots. Chrome is perfect and I love the sound.

Wish I knew more about cobra tri...the black ones. I saw a picture with the Cobras on the 2010/2011 LE...looks so good.

Good luck. There's a lot of choice out there.:D

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I have always wondered

what the OD of our stock head pipes are? I know the muffler holes are 1 1/4" ID. Wonder if that is the OD of the pipes, all the way through. I am "JUST LOOKING" at these fish tail mufflers, that is if the OD is the same as out stock head pipes, MIGHT consider installing them.......

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
what the OD of our stock head pipes are? I know the muffler holes are 1 1/4" ID. Wonder if that is the OD of the pipes, all the way through. I am "JUST LOOKING" at these fish tail mufflers, that is if the OD is the same as out stock head pipes, MIGHT consider installing them.......
The stock head pipes are 1 3/4" OD mostly. They neck down a little in a couple spots, but most of it is 1 3/4".

Keep in mind they end right at the front of the bike near the foot pegs, so there's nothing to stick another muffler on. They both merge into a single pipe that is close to 3" OD, then stay single through the SET and catalytic converter. The catalytic converter has two outlets, but the top angles up and the lower one is straight. You can look at the stock mufflers and see how the converter outlets would be angled.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
The stock head pipes are 1 3/4" OD mostly. They neck down a little in a couple spots, but most of it is 1 3/4".

Keep in mind they end right at the front of the bike near the foot pegs, so there's nothing to stick another muffler on. They both merge into a single pipe that is close to 3" OD, then stay single through the SET and catalytic converter. The catalytic converter has two outlets, but the top angles up and the lower one is straight. You can look at the stock mufflers and see how the converter outlets would be angled.
Thanks Mike. I would have to do a little welding then. These fishtail mufflers might be a bit too much, What ya think ??? LOL

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Yeah,,,,,,,,

that's what I have been reading............

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
Thanks Mike. I would have to do a little welding then. These fishtail mufflers might be a bit too much, What ya think ??? LOL

Just a little too much. :D

You couldn't stack them up as the fin is too tall, so they would have to be offset too. Then they would probably drag. Might not be too bad if there was one on each side, but good luck figuring out how to do that.

Maybe you could angle them up a little?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just a little too much. :D

You couldn't stack them up as the fin is too tall, so they would have to be offset too. Then they would probably drag. Might not be too bad if there was one on each side, but good luck figuring out how to do that.

Maybe you could angle them up a little?
Think I will look for something else LOL, I am pretty handy with a wire feeder, Just buy a few mandrel bends and run the top one to the other side, then have it all chromed, LOL. I bet that would look all right:doorag:

·
Registered
423 Posts
DONT DO IT!!!!! I just dont see the fish tail looking right with this bike, but I could be wrong. It is definitly an original idea and would love to see pics if you do. It might look good with a gangster rear fender (which surprised me how good that looked too).

As for pipes, 2 into 1 SHOULD have better performance gains, but on a bike like this its all about the looks :bigthumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts