M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hard Krome Velocity Pro Short Black Race pipes arrived today! Very impressed with the fast shipping from Meancycles and UPS! 4 days I think it was! I am wondering if I am being to meticulous or if I should be concerned with the minor scratch and knicks at the end of the new pipe. It was very well wrapped and packaged. But apparently this happened before being packaged. My concern is the potential for corrosion. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hard to say...I'd run it for sure. After finally getting one all I ever want to do is put it on and hear it. After that I'll never take it off again

Reactions: Joe RC51

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Unless just the appearance bothers you, I wouldn't worry much about corrosion. On my Swepts the inner pipes are uncoated or unplated steel, and they change color but haven't rusted in the 8 or 9 years I've had them. The outer pipe is chrome plated and that's all you see on them.

Will that be turned so the scratch is on the inside or bottom and not visible?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will that be turned so the scratch is on the inside or bottom and not visible?
It will be on the side that faces you. Directly on the visible side. I would imagine that it would take quite a bit of condensation or consistent water/ rain for it to become an iasue. I typically don't ride in the rain and the bike is stored in a dry, semi-heated garage.

·
Registered
2017, M109r
299 Posts
Hard Krome Velocity Pro Short Black Race pipes arrived today! Very impressed with the fast shupping from Meancycles and UPS! 4 days I think it was! I am wondering if I am being to meticulous or if I should be concerned with the minor scratch and knicks at the end of the new pipe. It was very well wrapped and packaged. But apparently this happened before being packaged. My concern is the potential for corrosion. What are your thoughts?
The end cap is removable. Take it off and see if Meancycles will replace it. Or just paint it your self. I painted the Chrome ring on mine satin black.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... turns out that I picked the worst possible time to make these mods! A full week of 85 degree rain free riding weather . You're welcome guys! 😏 It's on me. Ordered and received the pipes in 4 days through Meancycles. Placed the order for the intakes (LAChoppers XXX) through Meancycles after Baron XXX were backordered with Westend Motorsports. Sent my ECU to BCS for full flash tune. Probably gonna get it back mid next week. Was looking forward to having the pipes and intakes on and ready to go for the retuned ECU. I just get an email from Meancycles informing me that the LA Choppers intakes will be in production for the next 3-4 weeks. I guess this means that I will be sitting next to the bike counting the days until the intakes get here. It seems that it might be ok for me to ride with the stock intakes for the time being. Sparky with BCS did say that while the full flash tune is programmed for premium intakes it may be ok to run stock. I'm wondering if I do that, if it might be possible/ better to run without the housing cover. Thoughts? Sympathy?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
I would put the stock intakes on it and run it. I can't imagine how his tune would richen it up enough to hurt anything. I don't know that leaving the covers off would hurt anything, since the filters would still be in place, but I'm not sure it's necessary to leave them off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would put the stock intakes on it and run it. I can't imagine how his tune would richen it up enough to hurt anything. I don't know that leaving the covers off would hurt anything, since the filters would still be in place, but I'm not sure it's necessary to leave them off.
Yeah. He said it would run a tad richer. I was just thinking that running with the covers off would allow more air intake. If the consensus is it will not matter, I'll just run it as usual until the LA's get here. Thanks Zoom.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Better a little too rich then too lean. As I said, I would run it and not worry about it
I'm comfortable saying that because of the way mine works with the Cobra PowerPro on it. When you hit the throttle hard it will leave enough black smoke behind that folks following you can see it. The units keeps richening the mixture until it sees no acceleration improvement then stabilizes, so it can get pretty rich.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW!!! Got the stock pipes off on Sunday, the VPR's on yesterday, and the Fully Flashed ECU Tune back and installed last night. I had to at least fire it up to hear it at idle in the garage. Didn't want to tick the neighbors off right off the bat. Couldn't wait to get home from work this evening to get the bike out. TO ALL OF YOU WHO CONVINCED ME TO TAKE THIS ROUTE..... THANK YOU! Definately the right choice all around. From the pipes to the tune. It was hastle free and straightforward with the full flash eliminating the servo via tune. All I had to do was remove the servo with the stock pipes and tape off the connectors. I absolutely love the growl of theae pipes. I also like the diversity in the audio level and intensity of the pipe. It is capable of giving you as much or as little attitude as you want. Now ot's not only the looks of the 9 turning heads, it's growl definately calls for more attention! 👍👍😃

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shoutbout to BCS Performance and Controls LLC. Charles (Sparky) was more than helpful, accomidating all of my questions. Turned ECU around same day. Had it back in hand in 5 days via priority USPS!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The end cap is removable. Take it off and see if Meancycles will replace it. Or just paint it your self. I painted the Chrome ring on mine satin black.
View attachment 419383
So Psycho1000R... I ended up liking the look of your exhaust ring modification and ended up doing the same thing. Being that I have the blacked out BOSS edition and there is no other chrome on the bike, with the exception of the turn signals, while I liked the chrome ring, it just looked a little out of place. Thanks for the idea.

Oh... and BTW... Hard Krome sent me another end cap. 👍

Doug
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017, M109r
299 Posts
So Psycho1000R... I ended up liking the look of your exhaust ring modification and ended up doing the same thing. Being that I have the blacked out BOSS edition and there is no other chrome on the bike, with the exception of the turn signals, while I liked the chrome ring, it just looked a little out of place. Thanks for the idea.

Oh... and BTW... Hard Krome sent me another end cap. 👍

Doug
View attachment 419445 View attachment 419446
Nice! Looking beautiful!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.