M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone Chromed their final drive hub cover? If so did you sendthe whole units gears and all or did you remove the gears from the housing? If you removed the gears how did you remove them? Please Help.

Update
Well i had help from a member here -Much Thanks to Boonteen-and here is what was involved in removing the gears.

Remove all bolts from rear cover. Remove the locking collar/nut holding shaft in hub. once Collar is removed shaft will pull out.

There are two threaded hols on rear cover. I believe they are 5mm at .8 threaded. Insert bolts and tighten until cover is loose.

Now just lift gears free of cover

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Re: Pinion gear removal???

I think Lamont did this once, and I seem to recall he had a hell of a time with it.
He has a thread with pics some place here.
Do you have a service manual. I'll check mine when I get a chance, not sure if it will help or not though, since I 've never done it myself.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Latinrascal said:
Has anyone Chromed their final drive hub cover? If so did you sendthe whole units gears and all or did you remove the gears from the housing? If you removed the gears how did you remove them? Please Help.
The gears are the easy part removing the bearings :edit:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i got the hub off the bike and shaft removed but am not sure on how to remove the cover and then the gears. i have a manual on order but was hoping someone could help in the mean time

·
Registered
100 Posts

Be sure and index everything you remove and go back the exact same way.Once a gear has been used,it will create a wear pattern and if you don't set it up in the same pattern it can self distruct.Good luck.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

joec said:
Be sure and index everything you remove and go back the exact same way.Once a gear has been used,it will create a wear pattern and if you don't set it up in the same pattern it can self distruct.Good luck.
Is the same caution needed when just removing the rear wheel, or just the gears from the hub?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Medic, just the gears from the hub. The wheel is pretty simple and straight forward. Remove brake caliper and bolt holding caliper bracket to swing arm, remove cotter pin, then castle nut then axle ( you may have to tap this outusing a block of wood or some brass). Once axle is out pull off caliper bracket and spacer, slide wheel to right and out she comes!!!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

Latinrascal said:
Medic, just the gears from the hub. The wheel is pretty simple and straight forward. Remove brake caliper and bolt holding caliper bracket to swing arm, remove cotter pin, then castle nut then axle ( you may have to tap this outusing a block of wood or some brass). Once axle is out pull off caliper bracket and spacer, slide wheel to right and out she comes!!!
Thanks bud. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

joec said:
I guess this would normally be correct but upon removing this set up i don't see how there is a specific way to reset the gears as from what i can see i believe the teeth mess pattern changes on each rotation. Meaning there are more teeth on the ring gear then there are on the shaft pinion gear which would change how the gears mess on each rotation. Does this make sense???

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

Latinrascal said:
I guess this would normally be correct but upon removing this set up i don't see how there is a specific way to reset the gears as from what i can see i believe the teeth mess pattern changes on each rotation. Meaning there are more teeth on the pinion gear then there are on the shaft gear which would change how the gears mess on each rotation. Does this make sense???
Makes perfect sense. I was thinking the same thing when I looked at your gears. The larger ring gear has more teeth than the pinion gear, so the pinion is gonna rotate more than once per revolution of the ring gear, thus meshing with different teeth each time.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Is it required to remove that needle bearing that is pictured, or if there is a race on the input side of the cover, or what about the three studs on the input side? Can the chromer just avoid these spots?

·
Registered
144 Posts

As Long as you have this apart has anbody looked for different size ring & pinion??

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

From what i am able to determine so far the chromer will cover these areas and the studs with some sort of special tape

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Medic1210 said:
Makes perfect sense. I was thinking the same thing when I looked at your gears. The larger ring gear has more teeth than the pinion gear, so the pinion is gonna rotate more than once per revolution of the ring gear, thus meshing with different teeth each time.
I know this is a little out of date, but having a different number of teeth in the ring gear -vs- the pinion gear, is how we get our gear ratio isn't it? Theoretically, if we were to add even more teeth to the ring gear, we would get a higher gear ratio. Just like a ring & pinion on a car. Higher gears get you into your RPM range faster. (better low end torque) But, you would loose top speed right?

Is anyone making a different gear ratio set for the 9 yet? I wouldn't mind giving up some top end to have a much quicker low end for light to light confrontations on Friday nights.

BTW: I know this topic is way out of date, but I was curious and I am trying to catch up on the entire site...it's quite a task.

Cheers all...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts