M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just another approach for Indirect Lighting which provides adequate illumination of the license plate to pass state inspection requirements and keep you legal. I'll update this post, with additional photos, as things progress. I used windshield washer spray heads which have a built-in white LED. I purchased the washer kit, containing two spray heads, at a local Auto Zone for just over $11.00. At the left of the photo, the spray head has been mounted to a piece of black plastic angle. The hose connector was cut flush with the mounting nut. At the right of the photo is the second spray head showing its original configuration.

The second photo shows the back side of the plastic angle, which will be in contact with the inner fenderwell, and the stainless mounting screw.

Third photo is the location ( blue tape ) where the plastic angle will be mounted. This area of the inner fenderwell is perfectly flat and will allow adequate adjustment (rotation) of the light so it properly illuminates the plate.

Fourth photo is the test of the LED to make sure I had the polarity correct. I utilized the OEM electrical connector from the license light and spliced it to the LED. For ease of installation remember that the Grey wire is positive and the Black negative coming from the wiring harness.

Fifth photo is the LED with plastic bracket mounted to the side of the inner fenderwell. I drilled a small hole to accept the stainless sheetmetal screw and snugged it up. The light from the LED is more of a glow and not a bright beam of light. I waited until night fall to make the final adjustment of the light and the tightened the screw.

Sixth photo is the rerouted wiring. I drilled a hole through the plastic, directly above the light, and installed a rubber grommet (blue tape and arrow).

The advantage to Indirect Lighting is, of course, no exposed wiring along the driveshaft. The white LED provides a nice soft glow to the plate.

This is the side mount I'll be lighting!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Indirect Lighting for Side Mounts

aceventura said:
you are very creative young man :bigthumbsup:...mjm
You stand corrected! Old man who is young at heart ( 58 ) :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
696 Posts

hey i'm 58 :super:... and i aint old :D :D... "OLDMAN" :joke:... just very WISE..... :D :D :D...mjm

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

aceventura said:
hey i'm 58 :super:... and i aint old :D :D... "OLDMAN" :joke:... just very WISE..... :D :D :D...mjm
You're a member of the 109 Silver Club and we're not talking about bike colors :D :D :D

·
Registered
696 Posts

@ bob109.. that would be salt and pepper club ::)... one is grey ;)... the other is black ;)..... i'm not bald :bigthumbsup: ... just a wide part :joke:...plus i do have a Silver Bike... as you know ... the FASTEST color....mjm

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

aceventura said:
@ bob109.. that would be salt and pepper club ::)... one is grey ;)... the other is black ;)..... i'm not bald :bigthumbsup: ... just a wide part :joke:...plus i do have a Silver Bike... as you know ... the FASTEST color....mjm
Grey Power and long live AARP :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

G

·

Very interesting approach. METU and I pondered that very same thing and he also purchased the spray nozzle LEDs. We scrapped it and he went with a lighted Radiantz license plate frame. I rely on headlights behind me for illumination. :redfaced: Good luck. I look forward to your updates as the install progresses.

·
Registered
696 Posts

not to get political ;)... but AARP is not on the "right" side of issues for me :verymad:...mjm

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hollywood said:
There is way too much talent on this site. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
You've only seen the tip of the iceberg! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

G

·

bob109 said:
I made it! Home brewed!

I need to try the ol' napkin over the license plate trick too when I am out riding acting the fool! :bigthumbsup: I wouldn't want any concerned citizens being able to provide my tag to the local constabulary.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

toneout said:
I need to try the ol' napkin over the license plate trick too when I am out riding acting the fool!  :bigthumbsup: I wouldn't want any concerned citizens being able to provide my tag to the local constabulary.
toneout! In your line of work I thought you had one of those "get out of jail free" passes :) :)Â I think they call it a "shield" :D :D :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts