M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and switched out the headlight with the PIAA. Here are all the pictures to compare the new bulb to stock. This will help you decide if it is worth the $50. I have riden at night with these and the difference is notable

Stock Low Beam Driver's View:

PIAA Low Beam Driver's View:

Stock High Beam Driver's View:

PIAA High Beam Driver's View:

Stock Low Beam Front View:

PIAA Low Beam Front View:

Stock High Beam Front View:

PIAA High Beam Front View:

·
Registered
456 Posts
How did you guys get the push-pin out? I've been trying for the last few days by sliding a screwdriver between the cowling and the frame but those pins just don't want to come out. I'm beggining to think I am just goin to have to drill them out and by new ones.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I replaced the bulb only. PIAA part number 70456 (Extreme white plus).
There is some very informative info if you search the topic.
For the push-pin fasteners, use a small phillips screw driver and push the center, this will release it. Watch you don't loose it or better yet, buy some extras from your dealer...couple of bucks for 5.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Some lights run hotter than stock, and can melt or damage the housing assembly. Anyone checked to make sure the housing isn't affected by long term high beams from the PIAA?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Lamont and Hal have been running them in thier bikes since they started riding them I do believe... I think Hal has like 10k+ on his bike already with no issues.. I'm betting Lamonts milage is way up there too.

These bulbs aren't actually that much different from stock in the power usage department, they don't run any hotter as far as I've heard from people using them.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Canuk said:
Some lights run hotter than stock, and can melt or damage the housing assembly. Anyone checked to make sure the housing isn't affected by long term high beams from the PIAA?
:confused:
I have a friend the has been running a couple of these in his R1 for about 3 years now with no problems :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
x_caliber50 said:
How did you guys get the push-pin out? I've been trying for the last few days by sliding a screwdriver between the cowling and the frame but those pins just don't want to come out. I'm beggining to think I am just goin to have to drill them out and by new ones.
You will laugh.
Push the center IN with a little punch or something and voila!!!
Then you need to back the center all the way out before you seat it in again... and then push the center in flat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts