M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, sorry for the long post ahead. Got a deal on the 1100x lights and just installed them. I'm not very mechanical or electrical but I'm learning thanks to this forum. Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

All I have to do now is connect to "switched power".
The instructions say the white wire with red dots...but no red dots anywhere :dontknow:. I have a white wire left with bare lead which I assume is the one.

My question: where is the safest place to connect this, they include one of those red plastic connectors included in the kit. I want to be able to manually turn these lights on and off. I cringe at the thought of messing with wires in either the ignition or hi-low switches. Any pics or info to help me walk through this last connection would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Tail light on with key

If you want to be able to turn these on and off, you'll need a switch mounted somewhere easy to reach. A better option might be to have them come on with your high beams. That's the way I've done it before.
If you got a kit, it should have a relay to handle the heavy draw of 2, 55/85 watt lights. Your high beam switch can't handle this alone. It's looks something like this, the heavy white wire with the fuse looks like it connects to the battery + terminal, and the heavy black wire to the battery - terminal. The tail light wire is a good key on source, but requires some disassembly to reach. The high beam wire in the headlight is easier to reach. Post some photos later if you can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys...just finished the install last night and lo and behold, they're aliivveee! :hot::hot:Felt great to finish. The stress of not knowing what the hell you're doing is too much sometime :D

I just came up from putting the nacel and rad shroud back on but I can post some pics of them later, I mounted them on the engine guard to get that triangulation effect for better cager visibility.

I ended up seeing a post by zoom and hooked my switched power to the orange/green wire to the running lights in the nacell, since I didn't feel like taking my tail apart (thank you Zoom:bigthumbsup:). very small garage space to work with so its a pain doing anything in there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
piaa lights

Just came back from road trip and these things work great. Lots of bright sun and tight turns in shade and buddy said bike stood out great with the lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts