M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The winter mods have started:DI have ordered the PIAA Super Plasma GTX bulb (60/55W)to replace the stocker. I know this is higher wattage than the stock so my question is, do I need to also order a solid state relay kit in order to not fry my stock harness with this bulb? http://www.comagination.com/relay-kit-motorcycle.htmHas this been a concern for anybody running PIAA bulbs? I realize HID is "better" because it's brighter, but I'm going to be putting a headlight modulator in as well, so I don't believe I can use an HID kit.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,033 Posts
I've never seen anyone add a relay for the PIAA bulbs, they just plug them in. It's a direct replacement for the standard bulb. I think the wattage is actually the same.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Per the official Suzuki service manual the stock bulb is 60w/55w so you do not need a relay. The aftermarket PIAA you are installing is exactly the same power as the OEM bulb.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a PIAA Headlight Bulb... it just plugs in like a standard Headlight Bulb No modification necessary... It is alot brighter I am not sure about the wattage but I don't think it is significantly different.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Per the official Suzuki service manual the stock bulb is 60w/55w so you do not need a relay. The aftermarket PIAA you are installing is exactly the same power as the OEM bulb.
:bigthumbsup:Thanks Syco, I really need to read that thing one of these days! I could have answered my own question:redfaced:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have a PIAA Headlight Bulb... it just plugs in like a standard Headlight Bulb No modification necessary... It is alot brighter I am not sure about the wattage but I don't think it is significantly different.
:agree: I have had the PIAA for almost two years now without issue...not as good as an HID, but one hell of an improvement over the factory lighting.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
:agree: I have had the PIAA for almost two years now without issue...not as good as an HID, but one hell of an improvement over the factory lighting.
:agree: I had issues with my HID (old A&R version) and went to Piaa bulbs in both 9's. Much improved over stock, but still didn't like as much as the HID so I went back. It is about right down the middle from stock to HID.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you do end up wanting to go with an HID I would give Rob at A&R a shout and see if he could set you up with the single HID setup. If I am not mistaken that had an HID low beam and halogen high beam and a modulator might work with that setup. Of course you shouldn't take my word for it, just ask Rob and he can tell you all you would want to know. Plus A&R has great customer service.

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
If you do end up wanting to go with an HID I would give Rob at A&R a shout and see if he could set you up with the single HID setup. If I am not mistaken that had an HID low beam and halogen high beam and a modulator might work with that setup. Of course you shouldn't take my word for it, just ask Rob and he can tell you all you would want to know. Plus A&R has great customer service.
And the cost on his kits just went down in the group buy. $60 for kit 1 and $100 for kit 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts