M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow 9ers, have a question regarding the topic thread. A friend of mines ask me did I decide to get floorboards put on my bike. I was in search of some but didnt see any that was small enough (for lack of a better word) for me to use. You see my bike is lowered about an inch and while cornering I tend to really get into the curve and at times scrape my pegs. Boy you shouldve seen the look of disgust from my older friends. One guy clutch his heart like he was Fred Sanford calling out for Elizabeth:D Now I do understand that if you ride into the corners to hard you may catch to much ground and will end up seeing the pavement. But the gradual peg scrape I was thought to believe that it showed you were in total control of that bike when cornering. Was I wrong, is it a no-no to touch the pegs to the ground? Let a brotha know:-[

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey fellow 9ers, have a question regarding the topic thread. A friend of mines ask me did I decide to get floorboards put on my bike. I was in search of some but didnt see any that was small enough (for lack of a better word) for me to use. You see my bike is lowered about an inch and while cornering I tend to really get into the curve and at times scrape my pegs. Boy you shouldve seen the look of disgust from my older friends. One guy clutch his heart like he was Fred Sanford calling out for Elizabeth:D Now I do understand that if you ride into the corners to hard you may catch to much ground and will end up seeing the pavement. But the gradual peg scrape I was thought to believe that it showed you were in total control of that bike when cornering. Was I wrong, is it a no-no to touch the pegs to the ground? Let a brotha know:-[
Theres a reason why theres stops there. To let u know that your cornering too hard. I went nite riding with my buddy behind me. He said I knew when to back off when I saw sparks come off ur pegs. So its a safety device. Theres also peg stops that are longer and are made of titanium that activate sooner and make more spark.

I scrap my pegs when I make left hand turns from a stop light. So I dont think its problem to scrap them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It scares the ish otta' me! It's a sport cruiser with emphasis on "cruiser". I have no desire to ride it like the a ZX9. But that's just my opinion. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you feel like scraping, then go ahead. This bike is known as the beast and to show it's versatility once in a while aint bad.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I think if you're not scraping, you're not riding it right. I scrape the heels of my shoes so that I know where the road is and how much farther I can lean before I get myself in trouble. Unfortunately, these bikes don't have the ground clearance we'd like, so we have to use the tools we have to know how much room we have to play with.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I scraped at least a half inch off of my Swing Wings within the past week. Here is a pic of my lower peg mount bracket where I ground the bolt down. I was leaning it pretty hard to get it to do that. My 9 is lowered 2.75 so it is a little to easy to scrape pegs for me now. I hated to idea of scraping at first but now I am used to it and I will just roll down the road weaving and scrape the whole way.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I scraped at least a half inch off of my Swing Wings within the past week. Here is a pic of my lower peg mount bracket where I ground the bolt down. I was leaning it pretty hard to get it to do that. My 9 is lowered 2.75 so it is a little to easy to scrape pegs for me now. I hated to idea of scraping at first but now I am used to it and I will just roll down the road weaving and scrape the whole way.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You know when your pushing the limit when your touch downs are gone, a third of the stock peg is no longer there, and there are no chicken strips on your tires.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
Lift your pegs or footboards up by either slipping something about the thickness of 2 pennies under them, or drill the base of them and put a small screw in them. That will lift them up about 3/4" more than stock. No feelers adds another 3/4". Then if you shift your shoulders to the inside on corners, you better be hitting them pretty hard to still drag the pegs. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Dragging Pegs? Who the heck is dragging pegs on this bike? :dontknow:

This is a cruiser for crying out loud! :D

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
When running stock its ok to drag them on the corners. Its telling you that your at the edge of the back tire. What you should do is watch your back tire to see how close you are to the edge. The thing you don't want to do is drag the back of the bike on the corners. The front? Not bad. You drag the back of the bike and go to hard into a corner and your going to end up kissing pavement. Know your bike and the style you ride. Then slowly set the bike up for your style of riding.

Be safe, ride smart.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think if you're not scraping, you're not riding it right. I scrape the heels of my shoes so that I know where the road is and how much farther I can lean before I get myself in trouble. Unfortunately, these bikes don't have the ground clearance we'd like, so we have to use the tools we have to know how much room we have to play with.

-Josh
thats how i feel as well:bigthumbsup: but i tried to ride the bike like some suggested as a cruiser:confused: but all those cc's was screaming for some action. hahahaha

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ya beat me to it gottatooz...

The heels of my boots always touch down first, So much so, I've been to the shoemaker twice this year alone to have the heels repaired. I really have to move my feet up outta the way to get the pegs to grind. This puts my feet in a less than comfortable position. So the guys that say they're constantly grinding... do you move your heels up on the peg prior to grinding? Or do you have really small feet? :joke:

I run a 240 ME880 on the rear of my stock set up and there are no chicken strips, I seem to run out to the edge of the tyre without too much peg grinding. ??? I dont like the thought of falling off the edge of the tyre just to impress my buddies. I have titanium sparkies fitted to the ends of my foot pegs but I've only ground em out once or twice just to show off. :redfaced:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Ya beat me to it gottatooz...

The heels of my boots always touch down first, So much so, I've been to the shoemaker twice this year alone to have the heels repaired. I really have to move my feet up outta the way to get the pegs to grind. This puts my feet in a less than comfortable position. So the guys that say they're constantly grinding... do you move your heels up on the peg prior to grinding? Or do you have really small feet? :joke:

I run a 240 ME880 on the rear of my stock set up and there are no chicken strips, I seem to run out to the edge of the tyre without too much peg grinding. ??? I dont like the thought of falling off the edge of the tyre just to impress my buddies. I have titanium sparkies fitted to the ends of my foot pegs but I've only ground em out once or twice just to show off. :redfaced:
I run a dunlop elite 3 250 with 2.75 lowering bones. My pegs are Kuryakn swing wings. My heels do touch first, but I lift them to take a little pressure off the peg to keep it from sustaining to much damage. I have ground about half an inch off the back outside corners of my swing wings. I was grinding them quite a bit when I had my 1.5 bones in but I love the look of the 2.75 drop. And I did the shim mod that zoom talked about and it did help, it lets me lean a little farther before the pegs touch and lets me be a little more aggressive in the corners. I am going to an Avon 160 in the front to try and help a little bit. The thing that gives me the creeps is seeing that I have gotten into the frame and exhaust on an occasion or two, and I know that means that I was literally a hair away from going down. But I am at the point now where if I don't grind in a corner I wasn't pushing my 9 hard enough, I just need to keep off that exhaust and peg mount bracket where it mounts to the frame.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I actually have the first generation Raw Design forward controls, and the pegs don't fold. I've noticed that I actually stick my heels out to feel for the road, because it feels like the whole bike bottoms out when I scrape. My wife gets on me for ruining my shoes when I ride. I tell her that a pair of shoes is a small price to pay to safely navigate through the twists and turns.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
man it freaks me out when my pegs hit, but FYI this is a peg scraping bunch of guys!!

ill get there sooner or later.8)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Dragging Pegs? Who the heck is dragging pegs on this bike? :dontknow:

This is a cruiser for crying out loud! :D
I think when I got my 06, I was reading that it was a SPORT CRUISER

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It is actually a bruiser cruiser, or muscle cruiser. At least that is the best name I have heard so far for a motorcycle that blazed its own trail and set the standard for style, power, and performance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts