M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it Ok to patch a back tire? I picked up a nail @ 800 miles. Lucky me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's no good. I had the same thing happen probably yesterday. I went out this morning and sure enough a nail was born. I went to the steeler this morning and nope won't patch it. It is a libability issue. I told him that was just crap but no dealer will patch it at least here locally. One finally told me he could sell me the plug kit but I ended up buying a new tire anyway, and a new front tire, hmmm and a breakaway cruise control. I hate going in the steelers stops. :) Anyway with a tire on that little wear on it you might be able to get by with it. I would just ask my local shop and see what they say.

·
Registered
342 Posts
two tires one life.if you are to patch the tire it must be patched from the inside. an only so you can drive the bike temporary till you buy new.your life your choice. ride safe:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I feel your pain, woke up this morning, tire flat, found a small hole. I decided to just buy a new tire. I got one from cycle gear for $162 shipped, using military discount.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Plug it.

Everyone here will tell you not to do it..........except me. I've had so many nails in my life, and I've plugged all of them, cars bikes, trailers. Never had one fail yet.
Of course dealers will tell you no, no money in telling you to plug it.
The odds of it suddenly failing and causing a wreck are no worse than a bird flying in your eye and blinding you.
Any members that have actually had either of these happen, feel free to tell us.
The plug might even be less immune to fail than the rest of the tire.
I use the truck plug kit with the black sticky noodles, and the oversize needle thingy. I even drill the hole larger to get it to go in.
When I drove a tow truck we did this all the time to the tow truck's tires.
Just not in the side wall, has to be in the tread.
If you die though, that's on you for listening to me.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Everyone here will tell you not to do it..........except me. I've had so many nails in my life, and I've plugged all of them, cars bikes, trailers. Never had one fail yet.
Of course dealers will tell you no, no money in telling you to plug it.
The odds of it suddenly failing and causing a wreck are no worse than a bird flying in your eye and blinding you.
Any members that have actually had either of these happen, feel free to tell us.
The plug might even be less immune to fail than the rest of the tire.
I use the truck plug kit with the black sticky noodles, and the oversize needle thingy. I even drill the hole larger to get it to go in.
When I drove a tow truck we did this all the time to the tow truck's tires.
Just not in the side wall, has to be in the tread.
If you die though, that's on you for listening to me.:D
:agree:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
:agree:X2 I`d patch it if I could not find anyone to do it then I`d buy the stuf and do it myself but that is just me!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had 1000 miles on my stock rear when i picked up a nail, plugged it and put 7000 more miles on it before I replaced it. No Problems :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I carry a plug kit and a small pump on both of my bikes. I know guys that plug them for the life of the tire and I have plug them to get home (600 miles) but for me I change the tire out once I get home. It has all ways been the wing and me and the wife are on it most of the time.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Personally I would not take a chance. I had a front tire with a couple hundred miles on it and it had a half moon slit in it. It did not go down to the cords and was not losing air. but I replaced it anyways. You only have 2 tires so they better be in great shape.

:welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,951 Posts
I've only plugged one bike tire, and that was the last tire I had on my bike. It was nearing replacement and I plugged it so I could ride while waiting on the new ones to come in and getting time to install them.

I've never had a plug fail, whether I did it myself or had it done. I kind of agree with CBR, if a plug did start leaking it wouldn't be any worse than it was to begin with. I would rather pull the tire and patch it from the inside though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had a situation sort of like yours. I got my nail at 600 miles.
I checked with the dealers and they would not patch it, so I took it to a local motorcycle repair shop and they put in a plug patch from the inside.
Been going strong 4000 miles since.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Plug it and ride with confidence, plugged my last metz with aprox 1000ks on it, and only took it off after i had done 16000ks on it.
Front tyre different story probably would not risk it.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i think it really depends on you. while the people who have posted have made very valid points to each respective option, the final choice is yours.

i personally would not plug it. i know that getting a nail in a fairly new tire really sucks and that plugging the tire might not ever give you any problems but i would replace it with a brand new tire but that is jmho. as another member said, you only have two tires on a bike, better make sure they are both in great shape to not take any unnecessary risks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Im with cbr1000dude on this patch it,as long as the hole is not on the side of the tyre.My friend an myself have both had ours tyres patched an never had a problem .I have even used one of those temporary jobs an had to ride 300 kms before getting it fixed by a shop an never had any issues.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Where were you guys before I spent all that money on two new tires? :dontknow: hehehhe Just kidding, I had close to 6000 miles and a few hmmm shall we say quick starts on mine anyway so it was time. I bet I could have got a little more mileage out of mine but now I don't have to worry about it.

If I get a nail on these new ones say at hmmmm 500 miles, you bet I will plug the thing after reading these comments. Great idea to keep a plug kit along with us too. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I keep a repair kit on my pedal bike why not this one. :) Great info guys.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i think a plug works fine providing you are not one of these fellas always trying to reach the "oh ****" end of the speedo. jmho. johnnytherock

·
Registered
624 Posts
i think a plug works fine providing you are not one of these fellas always trying to reach the "oh ****" end of the speedo. jmho. johnnytherock
Hey johny i have plugged my tyre and reach the "oh ****" end of the speedo a fair bit, with every confidence.
oh always under controlled and safe conditions of course :evil::evil:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey johny i have plugged my tyre and reach the "oh ****" end of the speedo a fair bit, with every confidence.
oh always under controlled and safe conditions of course :evil::evil:
same for me! actually, last summer i put a brand new metz, two weeks later a flat, i pluged it, the three days later another one so i pluged it again, now i got two plugs in the rear tire and i ride like i stole it!

i tell that to all my buddies, they all say i'm either crazy or have a death wish, but i haven't had a problem since and i'm going on 4300 miles!! so i'll consider it a myth until i see a tire blow out because of a plug or patch :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Just use one of these and some common sense,,, it works great.

I will finally be putting "Ride-On" in my new Metzelers when they go on in the next couple of weeks,,, never have to worry about it again,,,

http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts