M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K guys,,ave a big azz wood screw in my rear tire....Have the road hazzard warranty ...But,,,,its a re-imbursement warranty,,I have to pay for the tire,,and labor,,,send in a claim form and hope they approve the claim,,while waiting for MY MONEY!!!thats not what I was told...when I bought the warranty....So,,my question is,,can it be patched ,and also be safe,,or needs to be replaced?Keep in mind I ride Balls out most f the time.. :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
It dependes on where the screw is at. If its close to the side wall then your gonna have to replace the tire. If the screw is on the riding surface then I don't see a patch being an issue. However, do not let them put a plug in it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
As long as you break it down, and do a good patch from the inside, I've ridden with a guy who has ridden many miles on tires patched like this and often a lot of extended 90 mph stuff with bursts to the higher speeds.
Having said that, I wouldn't even think about riding one that way.  My life is way too important to me.   I'd particularly not think twice about replacement with the possibility you have of reimbursement.  I don't carry road hazard but they for sure should cover relacement as all tire manurfacturers warn against driving a repaired tire for anything more than going slowly to a dealer to replace it.
Jer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes its in the tread ,,alittle left of center....We (work)radial patch car tires all the time ,,but wasnt sure about a bike tire(I'd rather them repalce it)....especially running blasts in excess of 130mph.... :D ..My warranty wants me to front the money for parts and labor , repair or replacement.....I really hate that idea...especially if they deny my claim. :eek:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Think of this as a good time to put on a wider tire : )

I will NEVER ride a patched or plugged tire unless it is taking me to wherever I am having it replaced at. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Usually they say to replace the tire period. The dealers will ALWAYS tell you this. Easy money for them.

Now I have patched Dunlop 180 tires on my CBR before without a problem. As long as it's not a large hole or rip in the tread. Just remove it from the rim, scrub up the inside and apply patch and cement. As long as it's not in the sidewall. Plugs will not do so don't even go there. I picked a nail up once before put .5 miles on a new tire. Really pissed me off.

EDIT: I went back and read your post again. Since it was a screw, I doubt the puncture was clean and the belting was probly damaged. So you may be better off replacing it. If it was a clean puncture by a smooth nail, the tire should work just fine with a tire patch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
J R said:
Prolly gonna need to replace cause the way ya ride.If you putted around you would prolly be alright but.Ya know what happens if that thing blows going 130Â :eek:
+1 ...... Replace it, you cant replace your life!!!!!, I would also fight with the dealer about the up front costs, have them absorb it until the warranty pays for it. or like others have said up the tire to the 280 and then you wont feel bad about the up front costs...... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just my opinion, but I never ride tires on my motorcycle that have to be patched. I always replace the tire.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Bens M109 said:
+1 ......  Replace it, you cant replace your life!!!!!, I would also fight with the dealer about the up front costs, have them absorb it until the warranty pays for it. or like others have said up the tire to the 280 and then you wont feel bad about the up front costs......  :bigthumbsup:
Exactly what I was thinking. Have them front the cost till the warranty kicks in and then get them their money. If they want to keep your business they should work with you! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
260 Metz. Replace.

That said when I was in my teens and a moron I topped out my 89 FZR 600 with TWO plugs in one hole that was caused by a large screw and it held up fine.

But replace with the Metz. The 250 dunnie isn't sticky enough for your mad man riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a pea size hole in mine at 1800 miles.I thought about patching, but I bought a new metz 240/40/18 instead, and I love it. I measured it at about 9.5 from side to side which is about the same as the dunnie.

·
Registered
752 Posts
silverbird said:
I had a pea size hole in mine at 1800 miles.I thought about patching, but I bought a new metz 240/40/18 instead, and I love it. I measured it at about 9.5 from side to side which is about the same as the dunnie.
I would grab the 260 and not the 240

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys....I'd like the 260 on there also....I talked to my Stealer again,,told him the situ,,,,and he said I could take it to Cycle Specialties in harrison?about 20 miles from me,,and they would fix me up,,with no money out of pocket....We'll see....Let ya know.. I'm gonna ask about the 260... :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am on the opposite side of the coin from most on this... I have never... once again...never had a patched tire fail on me...but i only use the patches that are set on fire to seal them... your bike your choice... nothing wrong with getting a new tire if you can afford it and don't mind... i don't want to spend that much money on something that seems to me i am just flushing it down the toilet... I understand some people don't feel comfortable and thats fine... I am completely comfortable with a patch done the right way...

khrome

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is a patch out of the question AFTER you plugged the tire? I plugged my tire about 30 miles ago. The hole is about an inch to the left of center. The dealer recommended replacing the tire. The tire only has 150 miles on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I SAY JUST PUT A PLUG IN IT AND GET THE CAMCORDER OUT AND TAPE THE NASTIEST BURNOUT EVER AND POST IT HERE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT. MAN THATS WORTH THE COST DON'T YA THINK?

·
Registered
190 Posts
corym109r said:
I SAY JUST PUT A PLUG IN IT AND GET THE CAMCORDER OUT AND TAPE THE NASTIEST BURNOUT EVER AND POST IT HERE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT. MAN THATS WORTH THE COST DON'T YA THINK?
I agree....if you're going to replace it anyway.......plug it first, get out the video, and set that baby on fire for all of us to see!! :evil:

·
Registered
110 Posts
That being said, did I hear a Metzeler 260/40VR18 ME880 would fit with no problems? Does a $60 install sound about right? I'm not sure about the price of the 260, but I can get the 240 for $150. Sound good?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts