M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am a political science graduate so I keep up with Real News (Not talking heads). But I have been reading and hearing an alarming amount of criticism being thrown our collective way about motorcycles being dangerous. Talk of blaming Roethlisberger (Steeler's QB) for HIS CRASH!!!! What The .... Also i have been hearing about how dangerous it is to ride a motorcycle and how stupid people are for riding them.

Ok, Roth, should have been wearing a helmet. Absolutely no arguement from me on that one. BUT the idiot in the Cager crossed HIS PATH!!! Why aren't people talking about the stupidity of the average driver? Why aren't people talking about motorcyclist rights? Why are people misplacing the blame to the motorcyclist?

I would strongly encourage people to write an op-ed piece to your local paper and get the word out. Most Motorcyclists are safe and obey the law. The real danger comes not from the nature of motorcycle riding but from Cagers who are too busy talking on their cell phone, putting on make-up, reading the mail, cooking hot pockets, reading the newspaper, and recieving faxes in their cars.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I live in Utah, small place 2.8 million people in a piece of country about the size of 6 eastern states.

They keep running stories on the news about how deadly motorcycles are. They keep running a teaser about how we have had 6 cycling deaths this year alone which ties the record for cycling deaths and what can we do about it.

So I finally watch the piece and here is the breakdown of the 6 cycling deaths from our maniac death machines.

Two separate bicycle incidents that they lumped in with the motorcycle accidents to make the numbers sound worse. This makes it extra hard with my in-laws because I have several roadbikes as well as my motorcycle.

Then another wreck was an elderly couple on an early 90's goldwing. They hit a large patch of gravel on the freeway, what our state was doing with a large patch on the freeway I don't know. Neither one was wearing a helmet and they both died.

So now we are at 4 deaths with only one motorcycle because the other 2 were fake motorcycle deaths.

The next wreck was a 19 kid with a 18 year old female passenger. He tried a sweeper at 95 (which could have been taken at 120) and got scared and stood the bike up, went off the road and hit a huge pipe about 2 feet across. Both kids were thrown from the bike, shorts, tshirts, no helmets.

So all this talk about these horrible dangerous deadly machines and we have one irresponsible underskilled kid on a sportbike that was way beyond him with no safety gear going double the posted limit (thank goodness they weren't in a car because they would have killed 4 kids instead of 2). we also have an older couple on a huge bike with an improperly maintained road and again no safety gear.

Then we have two bicyclists who were both wearing helmets and were both run over.

What are we going to do about this horrible problem?

The media really does form the public opinion of us and they go for sensationalism every time.

People are more accepting of cruisers and tell me that they are safer but I can't turn as sharp or stop as fast in an emergency, they weigh 200 to 300 pounds more than a sportbike so how the crap are they safer?

I own a pitbull rottwieller mix. He is a huge baby, my beagle picks on him and he is so gentle with my nieces and nephews but everyone is telling me that he will kill a kid one day.

If everyone that owned a motorcycle died they wouldn't be making motorcycles.

Next time I hear donorcycle I am going off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
L-Train,

I also riding bicycles. I have a mountain bike which i hit the trails with on the weekend and during the week i ride it to work. I can' t begin to tell you how many times i have heard "You're going to kill yourself on that thing". Too many people associate steel with safety. My response to that normally is "If you want to die in a steel coffin drive a tank". Besides Bicycles & Motorcycles WERE HERE FIRST!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I love anything with 2 wheels.

My neighboor told me about how dangerous bikes are. His friend was at a stoplight with his kids and got hit by a car and killed.

He was standing at a stoplight pushing the walk button to cross. He would have died with or without a bike. It was an auto pedestrian accident but since he had a bike with him my neighboor thinks it was a bicycle accident. And if the car didn't go on the sidewalk he would have lived. So isn't it cars that are dangerous?

People are dumb.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yeah it gets old after a while. Like you know when a cop gets shot, it ain't about the fact his vest did not work or he did not wear it, SOMEBODY SHOT HIM!!! that should be the major focus.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
it's just sensationalism for the sake of "making" news. They also neglect to tell you that way more children die every year in pools, than people riding motorcycles but there is no outcry to fill in all the pools with concrete to protect the children

·
Registered
752 Posts
J R said:
I think its only gonna get worse.For one satistic,s, nobody ever seems to remember in there death counts each year helmets or not that there are more bikes on the rode and being sold than ever before.Number two with the price of gasoline going up and up people who never even considered or thought about riding a motorcycle or scooter are now thinkin maybe it wouldn't be all that bad to have one just to run errands and such and those same people who have never rode a bike or scooter cause problems along with the and feeling its must be as easy as riding a bicycle ::),SUV ,phone ,soccer moms not paying attention to anything or anyone but themselves are the other problem.And the third thing I see that really bothers me ,and this one you guys from the Busa board may remember me posting about was I was at my local highschool for something for my son who is 12 and what do i see in the parking lot but a ROW :eek: of crotch rockets.Not the 1000,s mind you just the 600,s ::) ::) ::) R6,S ZX6 You name it brand new bikes I guess they have some parents who think its only a 600 and light so it will be cheap for Junior to ride to school and around ::) ::) ::) Hate to say it but some of the people riding bikes today in my opinion shouldn't be or at Least until they have some training and need to have age limits for bike sizes.No kid needs a 160 m.p.h bike ::) And people getting them thinking there saving gas riding there scooters around wrecking ain't helping statistics.Look on this board alone in the very short time its been online how many people have wrecked there 109s . Bikes now a days are way over peoples heads as far as performance and speed and I have read many of post about people talking about Busa,s 109,s ect as there first bike ::) Like my old grandpa used to tell me,,,If your gonna be dumb,ya better be tuff.....Just cause you happen to have the credit or a couple bucks and you had a 1975 yamaha 80 you rode one time dont mean your ready to jump on some of todays motorcycles but people do ::) You grab the bull you get the horns...JMO
What he said.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah the shop owner where I bought my bike was telling me that a father came in trying to buy his son a 109 for a H.S. graduation present. When he asked Dad what bikes the kid had rode in the past the man became evasive and belligerent. So the man was sent down the road bikeless and ended up buying a 109 in a neighboring town. As of yet I haven't read about some kid splattering himself with a 109 so hopefully he will survive the learning curve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BlkM109r said:
They also neglect to tell you that way more children die every year in pools, than people riding motorcycles but there is no outcry to fill in all the pools with concrete to protect the children
WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!

I think there is a serious learning curve to riding a motorcycle. There is alot of skill involved in riding it right. It takes years to master the fine arts of it all. I agree with the post about Junior riding an R6. At college when I was president, I was shocked at how many people have R1s, Ducatii 999rs, Gixers, and the lot. I never seen a Busa though. These are the same kids who have BMWs and the like. Their parents are just asking for them to be spoiled brats, oh wait they already are. Depending on where i lived and if my kids (Don't have any yet but will one day) wanted one, i would buy them a motorcycle instead of a car. But the first one would be a Ninja 500r and they would have to ride it for a year before they could upgrade.

·
Registered
231 Posts
First things first - Unless Ben was wearing a full face helmet - he still breaks his jaw and teeth.

If we flipped things around and the cages were doing 150 and we were toiling around doing the speed limit, what would people say then?

A lot if the concern is actually justified.  When I see two Gixxers with squids (shorts, sandals, and t-shirts) racing through the twisties, it pisses me off.  People like that make it tough for others to get respect.  Yep, I've wound her up hard, over 200 km (120mph) but not in the middle of the city.  I might pull the front tire changing gears but even if I could wheelie for a block - I'm not doing it down main street in traffic. 

We had a 25 year old gixxer rider rear end a pickup two weeks ago... on a straight stretch of flat highway.  The bike disintegrated.  Through connections I found out the pickup was doing 65mph (100kmh) and the accident reconstruction estimates speed of rider at 175mph (280kmh).  He was thrown 400 feet.

One more news story that puts us in a bad light.
One less rider.
:(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Squids exist everywhere. I have seen people drive too fast in a car, bottom out a 4X4 on a trail they should not be on, seen people flip over the front of the handlebars on a 4-wheeler, and crash hard on a motorcycle. Vehicles are dangerous and squids don't take proper precautions to do the things they do. If you want to race, go to a track, if you want to stunt, find an empty parking lot with plenty of people around to save you if need be, if you want to enjoy a motorcycle ride, then do it on the street. I agree with J.R. there is a place for everything.

But just because people act stupid with motorcycles doesn't mean that the media needs to read the riot act about them. Especially when the vast majority of motorcycle accidents are not caused by the rider.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts