M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mile 164, Passed my motorcycle test. Licensed now  :D I'm not sure what the point was however, I would have to think anyone on a bike could pass!! Maybe Missouri should re-evaluate what the requirements should be for a motorcycle endorsement. All four patrolmen came out and checked out the bike though,  :D two were convinced when I drove in that it was a V-rod and the other two hac no idea what it was. Pretty cool in my opinion that it drew that much attention. Hopefully it won't get too much attention on the way home,  :cop:  I might need a 100+ fix today!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
BIGD... said:
Mile 164, Passed my motorcycle test. Licensed now  :D I'm not sure what the point was however, I would have to think anyone on a bike could pass!! Maybe Missouri should re-evaluate what the requirements should be for a motorcycle endorsement. All four patrolmen came out and checked out the bike though,  :D two were convinced when I drove in that it was a V-rod and the other two hac no idea what it was. Pretty cool in my opinion that it drew that much attention. Hopefully it won't get too much attention on the way home,  :cop:  I might need a 100+ fix today!!
Was your test as easy as this?Â

Step one: Pull out of parking spot and go to parking lot exit.

Step two: Turn left onto street.

Step three: Take immediate left back into the parking lot entrance.

Step four: Pull back into parking spot that the instructor was so kind to stand in while out on my test.

Step five:Â Receive endorsement.

I took an MSF course a couple weeks after.Â

And I had the same reaction as you by the employees at the DMV. No one knew what kind of bike it was or who made it, but they all agreed it was one bad ass bike.Â

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
cdaniel76 said:

Step four: Pull back into parking spot that the instructor was so kind to stand in while out on my test.

And I had the same reaction as you by the employees at the DMV. No one knew what kind of bike it was or who made it, but they all agreed it was one bad ass bike.Â
Mine was easier...have never taken a motorcycle endorsement/license test.

·
Registered
516 Posts
J R said:
:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :clap2: :hot: :clap2: :hot: :clap2: :hot: :clap2: :hot: :clap2: :hot: :clap2: :hot: :clap2: :hot: :beer3:
+1 :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
good job. I know some of the tests here in NE are easy to pass others are hard. Depends on where you take it. I tried to take the "easy" one and failed then went the next day and passed the "hard" one with flying colors. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
cdaniel76 said:

In NC, you first back into a parking space facing a slalom course of cones 14 feet apart and 4 feet left of center and right of center alternating.Â

Step 1: Crank bike and to simulate a stall in traffic, let clutch out quickly to stall bike and then re-crank the bike.

Step 2: Drive through slalom course, weaving around the cones one direction, and then through the cones in the other direction. So, you are doing the serpentine through 7 or 8 sets of cones, doing u-turn and doing it again. Return and back into parking spot.Â

Step 3: Drive toward the end of cones, up-shift to 2nd, then down shift back to first. Signal with left hand for a right turn. Make right turn, and then another right to return to starting point at 15 MPH while paying attention for the examiner to give you the signal to perform a panic stop. Perform panic stop when signaled. Return to starting point.

Step 4: Drive to first set of cones and stop without planting either foot. Repeat process for each set of cones. So, you are moving 14 feet, stopping, moving another 14 feet and stopping 8 times. U-turn and return as slowly as possible while maintaining your line and not planting a foot or dropping the bike. Return to parking space.

I'm pretty sure that is it. Maybe not in the exact order though.  I took the test a month after having my 109. I was told by everybody that I should take a smaller bike with a skinny rear tire, but I got tired of not being able to "legally" ride my wife (as a passenger, get the heads out of the gutter...). I took the test and passed easily... Well, I had to return once to start the slalom over, as I cut the bike too wide on one cone and knew I wouldn't get it back around for the next. 14 feet seems like a lot, but it's amazingly short when on the back of the 109... I asked how I did, and she said I did great, and commented she was glad we didn't have to pick up the bike. I asked if many people drop their bikes, and she said, "Yeah." Stating she has had many guys tell her they could pass the test with their eyes closed... and then drop their bike in the serpentine cone course. I had to laugh for a bit of relief on that one...

Edited to add:Â For those who can't picture what I mean by alternating cones left and right of center, here's a visual.

. .

. .

. .

. .

. .

. . .

Start out at the first set of 3 cones and travel to the left of the center one and then right of the first pair, left of the second pair and continue back and forth to the end. U-turn around the single cone and then repeat the course, this time actually weaving through the pairs of cones instead of around the outside.Â

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Gosh,  It has been a longgggggggggggggggggggggggg time since I took the Missouri test!  Glad you passed with flying colors!!  I agree with JR:

:2excited: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :clap2: :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Congrats!!! :read:
I took the MSF course here at Nellis Air Force Base. It's a two day course and once you pass the test at the end of the course they give you a certificate and the DMV recognizes it and I didn't have to take the DMV test at all. I can honestly say I benefitted from the course because I learned that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. I also have a 1972 Honda cb750 and the M109 is much EASIER to ride than that bike! :dontknow: I think it's the lower center of gravity on the newer bike that makes is so much easier even though it weighs 200 lbs more. Here in Vegas you have to be on your P's and Q's because there are so many people from different parts of the country and they bring their special habits with them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats to you also, cdaniel!! I guess you can say "GO BIG or GO HOME" on your choice of first bikes.

Enjoy your new ride!!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually it's my first bike in 7 years, But the old 87 intruder 700 had to go... :edit: :edit: :edit: I can truly say with confidence that the 109 is the most stable and predictable bike I've ever ridden.
I've been ridin' her every day and she seems to like it as much as I do! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats..:) :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Did mine in July and it was 2:nd time for me. Good refreshing, ( have an endorsement since 10 years back,, had to re-do it)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts