M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't someone working on a set of blocking plates for removing the PAIR system on the M109R? Lamont?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There definitely is one. If you look behind the airboxes you can see the vacuum lines, and also where the fresh air supply connects. The PAIR really performs a different function than the cat. converter does.

G

·
I've got mine apart and yes there is a tube & (plate) coming from each head on top....I'll try and get a pic when I get home....Aslo thought the same thing,,,anyone block these yet?Really wouldnt be hard to fab a plate or 2...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
traysvega said:
I've got mine apart and yes there is a tube & (plate) coming from each head on top....I'll try and get a pic when I get home....Aslo thought the same thing,,,anyone block these yet?Really wouldnt be hard to fab a plate or 2...
A couple of plates and a couple of gaskets in a nice little kit would be cool.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Anybody care to explain to me what you are talking about?  I'm not much of a motorhead, so I have no idea what a PAIR valve is, or why you would want to block it.

Edit: Never mind... Just read Wanted's explanation if the thread titled Fuel Smell. Still, why block it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
On a motor of t his size, doing a piar mod (venting the crank case thru the PAIR valve) should net you around 4-5 rwhp.... just as it does on a Busa.

Still want to throw away hp? ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would sure do a PAIR valve mod in conjunction with pipes, air intake mods, and fuel management upgrade.

G

·
Jeff,,I thought the pair valve was kinda like a egr valve on a car..recirculates exhaust gases not burn the first time,,for cleaner emissions...?So,,how can this gain us h.p? :D

Oh..here what I believe is the pair valve and also where the tube runs to the head...I dont have a manual ,,so correct me if I'm wrong... :D

G

·
I was thinking 2 big red vaccum caps with clamps... :D :bigthumbsup: ya know it is quite a mess under that tank.... :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
jeffw said:
On a motor of t his size, doing a piar mod (venting the crank case thru the PAIR valve) should net you around 4-5 rwhp.... just as it does on a Busa.

Still want to throw away hp? ;)
I thought the Pair system did little for performance, but changed the note of the exhaust a little. Don't get me wrong, i still want it gone.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
We have plates being made as we speak. We did the measurements when we were doing the wheels. I hope they will hit next week. :doorag:

G

·
Lamonster said:
We have plates being made as we speak. We did the measurements when we were doing the wheels. I hope they will hit next week. :doorag:
Lamont,,,I assume if your making the plates,, you gonna use them on yours?If so,,,whats your take on the H.P loss if any?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
traysvega said:
Lamont,,,I assume if your making the plates,, you gonna use them on yours?If so,,,whats your take on the H.P loss if any?
I have done it on the Valkyries and the VTX's and saw no HP increase or decrease. I would have to see the dyno numbers on the 109 to say one way or another. For me it's getting rid of a lot of potential issues down the road.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Anytime that you can remove pressure on the down stroke of the piston, you lose less hp. By venting the crankcase thru the PAIR (the exhaust sort of creates a vac like a hose that you empty a water bed with) it pulls the air from the cc allowing the piston travel to be much easier.

Yes you can block them off with plates, and it will look nice and save some weight, but if you are a hp junkie, then you want to do the PAIR mod. It's not for everyone.

And no I won't be making any PAIR mods for sale. For me it's not always about selling something.... I love bikes... that is why I continue to post here. :)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
you could block the ports in the head, then run the crank vent to the exhaust with a one way valve on it (out only) thats the way the race cars do it. I don't think the pair was put on for venting it is suzuki's version of the clean air thing where you run potential unburnt crankcase gases into the exhaust port to burn them up.....EPA thing.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys,

I've de-PAIRed two other Boulevards in the past. I cannot speak to any HP differences. Since the PAIR always remains closed except when decellerating, it doesn't make sense that it would affect HP at all. But, as you will see below, that's not the main reason to do this mod anyway.

On Suzukis (Boulevards, Gixxers, etc.) that PAIR valve draws air from the airbox and causes the hot unburned fuel exiting from the exhaust valve to ignite. This only happens when decellerating in gear (engine braking mode). (Please see explanation I posted in the other thread if you want to know why).

Under "perfect" conditions, the combustion takes place up high in the pipes. But, after a few thousand miles, the PAIR valve isn't as efficient as it could be and the combustion takes place futher down the pipe. This usually results in a pronounced decel popping / backfiring in the exhaust pipe. If you have a stock exhaust, you won't hear it as much because the mufflers on these things are so big and work so well they muffle the sound (you can hear it if you listen real close when you decellerate). However, if you swap to aftermarket exhaust, you will REALLY notice it a lot more. A lot of people mistake this for a so-called "lean pop", but it is really exhaust gases being burned off inside the exhaust due to the PAIR valve.

When you remove the PAIR system, there is no fresh air being drawn into the exhaust. No air --> no exhaust combustion -->  goodbye decel pop! This is really the main benefit of de-PAIRing your bike.

Of course, you will also increase your hydrocarbon emmissions (if you are concerned by that sort of thing).

There are essentially two ways to do it. You can 1) just disconnect and block the fresh air intake, or 2) rip out the whole system (pipes, hoses, etc.) and lose about 5 pounds of ugly fat in the process. If you opt for #2, you need to block the air inlets into the cylinder heads; hence the need for blocking plates.

On the newer fuel injected Suzi's, I think the PAIR works off a solenoid rather than a vacuum line. If this is the case, you'll need to leave the solenoid connected.

Hope this helps clear things up.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Wanted said:
When you remove the PAIR system, there is no fresh air being drawn into the exhaust. No air --> no exhaust combustion --> goodbye decel pop! This is really the main benefit of de-PAIRing your bike.
That is why I removed the pair valves. Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
Great explanation -- but just the OPPOSITE of what the guy said in JR's last link. HE said that he DID the de-PAIRing mod, but subsequently REVERSED it, because he didn't like the exhaust popping that he was getting on deceleration WITH the bike de-PAIRed. Both explanations sound plausible -- but you can't BOTH be right (I don't think.)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts