M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all
Please tell me to go & study some more if I am barking up the wrong tree!!
But could there be a connection between pair block off & increasing engine pressure that would increase the risk of oil puke form the left side air box? Just a hypothesis/:-\/ Idea:bigthumbsup:.
I'm starting to toy with the K&N Crank breather mod to compensate.
As ever i hope you Gurus will chime in to help a confused Limey.
Cheers

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,093 Posts
They have no relationship at all. The oil comes up through the crankcase breather and into the air box under the tank. It comes in closer to the left side, so that's where any oil that comes up shows up. I honestly think it has more to do with either dirty air filters or filters that are too small, which would create a vacuum in the air box that could draw the oil up. I've been watching and it seems it only happens with the stock air box. Those that have larger aftermarket filters don't seem to have the problem. I think even the K&N replacement filters are a little small if you run the bike at high speeds for very long.

Or the oil separator located behind the rear cylinder isn't separating the oil from the vapors for some reason.

The pair valve just admits air into the exhaust under deceleration. It has no connection with the intake, or any way to increase pressure in the crankcase.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think even the K&N replacement filters are a little small if you run the bike at high speeds for very long.

Or the oil separator located behind the rear cylinder isn't separating the oil from the vapors for some reason.

The pair valve just admits air into the exhaust under deceleration. It has no connection with the intake, or any way to increase pressure in the crankcase.
yes the high speed thing seems to be a contributing factor; i got my oil changed 3 weeks ago with no problems thought the stealer actually did it right this time. couple of days ago i ran my bike around 90 to 95 for around 5 - 10 minutes just goofin off out on a backroad when i got home i noticed the dreadful puke all over the left side of my bike.... now i gotta get her cleaned up :confused:

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
I routed the hose to the left breather, through an extension, under the bike. Since doing that I have not had one single issue with oil puking. I never had much of a problem prior to that, just one incident of oil showing up in the left Edelbrock filter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have no relationship at all. The oil comes up through the crankcase breather and into the air box under the tank. It comes in closer to the left side, so that's where any oil that comes up shows up. I honestly think it has more to do with either dirty air filters or filters that are too small, which would create a vacuum in the air box that could draw the oil up. I've been watching and it seems it only happens with the stock air box. Those that have larger aftermarket filters don't seem to have the problem. I think even the K&N replacement filters are a little small if you run the bike at high speeds for very long.

Many thanks for that Zoom, you have cleard up the mist that was between my Lugs/ears:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I routed the hose to the left breather, through an extension, under the bike. Since doing that I have not had one single issue with oil puking. I never had much of a problem prior to that, just one incident of oil showing up in the left Edelbrock filter.
CBXER55. Thanks for the input, can you explain in detail your re route or modification, pics would be even better.
I'm collating as much information as i can with regard the Crank case breather mod to resist the dreaded Puke problem.
As ever the networking on this site is second to none.
Cheers
Andrew:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi to all
Please tell me to go & study some more if I am barking up the wrong tree!!
But could there be a connection between pair block off & increasing engine pressure that would increase the risk of oil puke form the left side air box? Just a hypothesis/:-\/ Idea:bigthumbsup:.
I'm starting to toy with the K&N Crank breather mod to compensate.
As ever i hope you Gurus will chime in to help a confused Limey.
Cheers
Just a guess, but are you sure you didn't block off the breather hose instead of the pair??? kingcat did that to his, made a mess....

·
Registered
434 Posts
PUCK OR NOT TO PUCK

I have the K&N Thunder Intakes, with K&N filters attached, I do get the puck. I notices when I installed the Thunder Intakes that the hose which collected all of the gunck on the left side air filters is no more. So where do all of that gunck go. Is this part of the PUCK syndrome? If not, lets move on. LOL:dontknow:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a guess, but are you sure you didn't block off the breather hose instead of the pair??? kingcat did that to his, made a mess....
I have had the tank off when tracing the Puke back & breather pipe is all still intact, you got me worried for a moment as i had a back flash to what i exactly ripped out when i done the block off:bigthumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.