M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the paint code for a black 9 is below. But the place I took it to mixes there own paint based off color codes. And they said that there is not a mix for this. Has anyone come up with anything?
YAY Pearl Nebular Black 4970

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I believe PPG carries the correct paint codes from colorite. The 4970 number is a sku# from colorite. The code is YAY from Suzuki. You might have better luck with that. I have looked with the local guy before and he had issues also, but when Dozer had his done, his painted used PPG and they carried it for the '07 blue. Might check with a PPG site and then give the info to your painter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
paint

There should only be 2 blacks either solid black or black metallic, the pearl should be in the clear top coat. oh yeah and theres flat black too

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe PPG carries the correct paint codes from colorite. The 4970 number is a sku# from colorite. The code is YAY from Suzuki. You might have better luck with that. I have looked with the local guy before and he had issues also, but when Dozer had his done, his painted used PPG and they carried it for the '07 blue. Might check with a PPG site and then give the info to your painter.
Thanks I will look into it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
is the black your looking for the same as 09 black. in mine there is blue pearl mixed in. the pearl can ether be added to black or sprayed as mid coat. then cleared. most major paint company's have a spectrograph available. if you bring a section or ride the bike to the jobber he should be able to come up with a good color.i have a pretty close match to my 09 if its the same i can send the formula for DuPont.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I know that the paint code for a black 9 is below. But the place I took it to mixes there own paint based off color codes. And they said that there is not a mix for this. Has anyone come up with anything?
YAY Pearl Nebular Black 4970
who are you taking it to?? they should be able to just put in YAY and the colour will come up. is it a auto body shop you went to?

even in Australia it comes up on my computer, so im sure in would in the good ol USA

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
who are you taking it to?? they should be able to just put in YAY and the colour will come up. is it a auto body shop you went to?

even in Australia it comes up on my computer, so im sure in would in the good ol USA
Yes it is a auto body shop. It is a business not a person. They see the code listed but not the mix list to make it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is the black your looking for the same as 09 black. in mine there is blue pearl mixed in. the pearl can ether be added to black or sprayed as mid coat. then cleared. most major paint company's have a spectrograph available. if you bring a section or ride the bike to the jobber he should be able to come up with a good color.i have a pretty close match to my 09 if its the same i can send the formula for DuPont.
I am taking them my rear cowl today to see if they can match the paint. If you want to PM that, that would be great. :bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
wrong. the pearl is put in the black when mixed, clear coat is just that...CLEAR.
that is correct. i've had pretty good luck matching the 06 black by using HOK BC25 with sapphire blue pearl mixed into it. Almost dead on, at least enough that you can't tell

putting the pearl in on top of the black turns it to dark blue, shows up too much

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is correct. i've had pretty good luck matching the 06 black by using HOK BC25 with sapphire blue pearl mixed into it. Almost dead on, at least enough that you can't tell

putting the pearl in on top of the black turns it to dark blue, shows up too much
Which line is that in Joe?

·
Registered
284 Posts
pearl

I ve got a question about the pearl thats been used for years, we use a pearl that is added to the clear and when its sprayed on a white or black it gives it the look of the pearl kinda a glow like look and it does it on black red yellow or any color, my question is How does it work if its just put in a regular gloss black paint will it give it the pearl looking glow that really shows , and its really pretty on white, and would it still need to have a clear top coat ? I would think the black pigmet would over take the pearl

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I ve got a question about the pearl thats been used for years, we use a pearl that is added to the clear and when its sprayed on a white or black it gives it the look of the pearl kinda a glow like look and it does it on black red yellow or any color, my question is How does it work if its just put in a regular gloss black paint will it give it the pearl looking glow that really shows , and its really pretty on white, and would it still need to have a clear top coat ? I would think the black pigmet would over take the pearl
metallic is normaly put in base coat .base coat dries flat- dull then clear coat applied to it.

Same with all pearls we put it in the base coats as well, then clear coat it.

never heard of putting metallic in regular gloss black paint. They must have done it years ago though when 2 pak wasnt around.

the black does take over the pearl a bit as you can see, black 9's in the shade just look black untill you get them in the sun or fluro lights , then the pearl blue and mettallic show up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts