M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to paint any of their chrome parts, including parts subjected to engine heat? I am wondering if there is a do it yourself product that someone may have used, and had a really good result..
My fear is doing it myself, and getting a do it yourself look.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Ive seen alot of blacked out bikes here, so I thought you would have had many responses, I too am intrested in the prep of the plastic chrome as I will be painting my tank dash in a month or two. so a bump for ya brother.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Hardest thing i found was getting the chrome to roughen up LOL That chit is hard, But I got it sanded real good then a good coat of primer then 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear, First coat clear has multi colored flake in it, Gets real busy when the sun hits it. This speedo tank cover polished out real nice, Smooth as glass,,,,,

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Somethings are just best left to the pros to do in my opinion. You can always try it and if your not happy, then pay to have it done. :dontknow: I teach Autistic kids and not everyone can do that.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Somethings are just best left to the pros to do in my opinion. You can always try it and if your not happy, then pay to have it done. :dontknow: I teach Autistic kids and not everyone can do that.
So did my X I would give it a try if i was offered to help LOL

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a blacked out bike with all the chrome (plastic) parts painted. I had it done by my body shop. Has held up great. I wanted it to look like thats how it came stock so I paid a professional to do it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tyler, do you recall the procedure? Did they strip the chrome/sand it first? I have seen some products, self etching primer, that i thought I could use right over the chrome.
I really want to do it myself, but like you I want a perfect finish.

Any issues with peeling since you had your work done?

Dave

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Tyler, do you recall the procedure? Did they strip the chrome/sand it first? I have seen some products, self etching primer, that i thought I could use right over the chrome.

Dave
Just scuff it back to take the shine off the chrome then etch primer or a 2 pack primer then paint it, i am a painter and thats how i was taught to do it.:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just scuff it back to take the shine off the chrome then etch primer or a 2 pack primer then paint it, i am a painter and thats how i was taught to do it.:bigthumbsup:
:agree::agree:He can do it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts

Dave
That is how I would do it. I sanded the shine off before I took it to the body shop. They did use etching primer and the painted it the stock color which is a 3 step process from what I understand. Base color, flake and clear. Then a couple more coats of clear.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
That is how I would do it. I sanded the shine off before I took it to the body shop. They did use etching primer and the painted it the stock color which is a 3 step process from what I understand. Base color, flake and clear. Then a couple more coats of clear.
Hmmmmmmmm Sounds like how i did it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm Sounds like how i did it,,,,,,,,,,,,,
so you actualy put the flake over the base coat (blue) then clear it?

interesting , with the stanard colour the flake (metallic) is usualy in the base coat, unless you are doing custom stuff and adding flake later to enhance it more.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
i am thinking about painting my derby cover!!
procedure is the same as painting the plastic chrome parts. and any other shiny parts .

only thing with raw plastic you need to put down a plastic primer, which is usualy a clear colour or a light silver, or the colour will peel straight off.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
so you actualy put the flake over the base coat (blue) then clear it?

interesting , with the stanard colour the flake (metallic) is usualy in the base coat, unless you are doing custom stuff and adding flake later to enhance it more.
No,,,,,No blue, talking the speedo chrome cover painted white! And the flake is in the first coat clear.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you say to scuff it back, you are referring to sanding them? Super fine grit or some form of scotch brite sanding pad??
I don't want to mess this up...especially with the what $uzuki would want for the replacement parts.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
When you say to scuff it back, you are referring to sanding them? Super fine grit or some form of scotch brite sanding pad??
I don't want to mess this up...especially with the what $uzuki would want for the replacement parts.
thats it just use scotchbrite pad with water and a matting paste.

back in the old days we used to use stuff called gumption it is used in bathrooms as a cleaning agent, has very fine pi$$ant grit in it.

you could always just use 2000 grade wet sandpaper if you dont have the above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts