M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who on the board that are wizards of the paint world; is it hard to black out both the chrome and "plastic chrome pieces on the 109 or for that matter any chrome pieces??? sanding? special prep? special paint? :dontknow:

THANKS in advance!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Should not be that hard at all. Use some BullDog on the plastic parts, it will paint stick to plastic (and anything else for that matter) VERY well :bigthumbsup:

Go easy on the sanding, use 1500 grit sandpaper and do it by hand NOT machine so as to control the depth of the sanding. The "BullDog" you can get at any automotive paint and supply store, ask for it by name. And as far as the paint, well depending on luster, are you gonna shoot clear over it? (Clear coat to make it shine and protect the paint)?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you are going to sand them then you can work with them if plastic just like any other part on the bike. If you are going to paint metal chrome parts then you would sand and prime then seal and paint. Depending on what you are trying to match you should seal all of the parts with black sealer to make sure they all have consistent substrates.

I will be painting the chrome plastic pieces the next time around on my own bike. If you have any questoins let me know.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RubenAlonzo said:
Should not be that hard at all. Use some BullDog on the plastic parts, it will paint stick to plastic (and anything else for that matter) VERY well :bigthumbsup:
Much Appreciated

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Let me know what you are trying to do and maybe I can paint them for you and trade you mine when I am done.

·
Registered
516 Posts
vtxoak said:
Let me know what you are trying to do and maybe I can paint them for you and trade you mine when I am done.
Hey VTX, you do some PHENOMENAL WORK! I just saw your pics from bigbikeriders and I was stunned at the colors and shading :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use a red 3M scothbrite pad, then a little HOK "Adherto", although Bulldog adhesion promoter is about the same thing.   Works like a charm.  A lot of times when I am doing custom paintjobs for my customers, they will ask me to paint chrome headlight shells, gas tank housings, and all sorts of other chrome parts (steel and plastic). You can scuff it and shoot it with an epoxy primer, but my experience has shown that's just more work. With HOK Adherto you spray your basecoats right over the Adherto after just a few minutes, and then clear it just +/- 10 minutes later.

I've seen before on the chromed plastic parts where the chrome will lift up from agressive sanding for example on a corner. Then it starts peeling and you basically have to strip the entire part. If you just scotchbrite it you'll put plenty of tooth on it and you won't go through it anywhere. One time, before painting a VTX headlight shell that had some chrome bubling issues, we peeled the chrome off the shell. JUST once! That was a JOB! ::)

·
Registered
476 Posts
vtxoak and bdsbigzrx thanks for the info, I am also considering painting the chrome plastic headlight nacel and maybe the tach. Any insights on painting the wheels or some of those engine covers, should those be powder coated only? Thanks :bigthumbsup:

109ster let us know how it goes and some pics would be nice. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK You guys are too cool!!! Thanks again to all of you for the awesome hints and tips on the paint project.
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts