M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this funnel at a local Wal-Mart.
Â
 It makes changing the oil in the 109 a NO BRAINER :bigthumbsup: The funnel is marked off in ounces/and milileters. It also has a shut off valve in the bottom of the funnel. If you are changing the oil and filter,you will need to replace 3600m/l of oil=3.8qts. Just close the valve on the funnel,and pour in 900m/l of oil. Then place the hose into the crankcase filler hole,and open the valve. Do this 2 more times. You will have added 2700m/l of oil,then fill the funnel with 500m/l of oil and add it. Now you have 3200m/l of oil in the crankcase. Now REPLACE the dipstick/filler plug. and run the engine for about 15 minutes(you can also look for leaks around the oil filter,while waiting. Shut it off,and wait 3 minutes,then check it. Then add the oil( I use 200m/l at a time) until it's on the money. Mine actually used 3500 m/l to be just below the full line. Real simple,and easy to do. The funnel is at at local Wal-Mart stores in the auto section,it's around 4 bucks. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Weird.
There is a label besides my oilintake saying "3400 ml" not 3600.

Be sure not to overfill or your bike will spit oil from the left airbox...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Heheh.. yep, and be equally sure that you're sitting on it or have it on some type of stand so its not leaning to one side for the 3 minutes after you shut it off and before you actually check the level as this will make you think its more full than it actually is

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
heh, if you try to fill this bike with a set amount of oil, you are in for dissappointment. there's only one way to do it to get it right, and it ain't easy (been posted ad nauseum).

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done it three times with this,and never had a problem! You can add up to 3200m/l,then add a little at a time until it where you want it. It really makes it simple to figure out m/l to oz. conversion. The nice thing is you "know " you have added 3200m/l for the start up,no guessing involved. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I've havent had my bike long enough to even change my oil for the first time so this might sound stupid. But after filling the oil to the desired levels, why dont you take note of the dipstick reading while the 109 is on it's side stand. That way, next time, you wont have to upright it to take a reading.

As soon as i figure out how to change the oil, i'm definitley going to buy one of those funnels. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
AgNO3 said:
I've havent had my bike long enough to even change my oil for the first time so this might sound stupid. But after filling the oil to the desired levels, why dont you take note of the dipstick reading while the 109 is on it's side stand. That way, next time, you wont have to upright it to take a reading.

As soon as i figure out how to change the oil, i'm definitley going to buy one of those funnels. :bigthumbsup:
Me thinks this lad needs to read the overfill posts... :dontknow:

Devilish

·
Registered
443 Posts
One thing I think many of you are not thinking of. The 109 has a dry sump. If you are a little low on your oil check, it won't matter. Dry sump and wet sump are two totally different animals.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup,It will prevent the over fill problem,and the m/l measurement is allot more accurate than using ozs. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts