M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 has been a very dirty girl, it's time to clean her up. This is my first time overhauling a motorcycle, and the 109 is of course quite unique.

After disassembling the engine per the manual, I plan on bringing the cylinder heads and jugs to a local automotive machine shop to examine and work on them. The goal is to have them measured and honed if in spec, and have the heads ported/polished.

That being said, if the cylinder bore is worn, what are the next steps? I've seen some references to millennium tech who appear to add mass so that it can be re-bored to spec. Can the 109's engine be sleeved, bored to spec and then use a standard piston? Can the 109's engine be re-bored and use oversized pistons? I did not have much luck finding information on this so far. Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
The clyinders are chrome plated, so you can't just bore it out. I had a CR-125 in the 1980s with a chrome plated cylinder that I had bored, sleeved, ported, polished, & flow-benched for power, but I have not ever heard of anyone sleeving M109 cylinders. Still, with enough time & money, I'm sure it could be done. 馃お

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
It's an aluminum cylinder with some kind of Suzuki special coating on it, no liners. I've never heard of anyone boring these out and sleeving it, and not sure you can without getting into the water jacket. I think your best option is to buy new cylinders if they are needed. You can hone them, you just can't bore them out.

Before you do a lot to it, it might be worth your while to give Matt, FuturR on here, a call. Look him up on the member's list and he has his phone number in his profile. In fact, if you're close to Indiana, you might want to see if he can do the work for you. He works on these all the time. If you're more East Coast, another one is Harris, or bigpapaXCT. He might be easier to contact on FB, but he does stop in here once in a while. He's in Maryland.

Registered
Don't make a basket case by dismantling too much. measure and fix what is worn.

My 9 has been a very dirty girl, it's time to clean her up. This is my first time overhauling a motorcycle, and the 109 is of course quite unique.

After disassembling the engine per the manual, I plan on bringing the cylinder heads and jugs to a local automotive machine shop to examine and work on them. The goal is to have them measured and honed if in spec, and have the heads ported/polished.

That being said, if the cylinder bore is worn, what are the next steps? I've seen some references to millennium tech who appear to add mass so that it can be re-bored to spec. Can the 109's engine be sleeved, bored to spec and then use a standard piston? Can the 109's engine be re-bored and use oversized pistons? I did not have much luck finding information on this so far. Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't make a basket case by dismantling too much. measure and fix what is worn.
I've started it as a winter project already. I'm currently waiting on the Suzuki flywheel puller (off-brand amazon) as try as I might, I was unable to get it off with triple jaw and two jaw pullers and I have no desire to hurt the timing teeth on the stator shroud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts