M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I won't be rising till May..so 6 months to go. Feels like forever.
I'm debating about about getting a motorcycle jack to lift it off the ground..
Mostly to avoid flat spots on the tires..but I also think it will help with the fork seals.
With the weight of the front end on them for half the yr.
Is my thinking correct?
I also have the fuel tank with stabilizer filled to the rim and remove the battery and take it inside for the off season.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,741 Posts
So I won't be rising till May..so 6 months to go. Feels like forever.
I'm debating about about getting a motorcycle jack to lift it off the ground..
Mostly to avoid flat spots on the tires..but I also think it will help with the fork seals.
With the weight of the front end on them for half the yr.
Is my thinking correct?
I also have the fuel tank with stabilizer filled to the rim and remove the battery and take it inside for the off season.
It was proven, that fully charged batteries discharge faster
in the warm place, then in the cold. Naturally the battery is
disconnected so nothing drains it, as drained battery will
freeze. IMHO best way is to put a battery charger/mainainer
on it. ... 🍻

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
I bought a Redline Engineering Motorcycle Dolly a few years ago and it's been one of my favorite tools. Adjustable in width and height and very strong, with 4 heavy duty swivel casters so you can move the bike around on it. All you do is lift the bike, place this under it from the opposite side, then lower the jack so the bike sits on the platform. Makes it easy to do cleaning and maintenance on the bike.

I usually just unhook the negative cable on mine and keep it on a trickle charger during the winter, along with fresh gas and fresh oil.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I read somewhere, it may have even been this forum that some people will "over-inflate" their tires prior to storage to help prevent flattening. I've put a little extra in every fall. I also roll it on to some blocks to keep the tires off of the ground. Mine gets stored in the garage. The boys is going outside in the shed today so that the snowblower is ready to go in the garage. Every battery that I have in storage gets put on a maintainer. Everything is storage also gets some fuel stabilizer and/or Seafoam run through it.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I don't do anything special with mine. Reason being that even during the winter, t here will be a day or three where I can get the bike out and ride it. I keep the tires aired up to 42 psi full time, so I've never had a problem with flat spots. I keep both bikes hooked up to battery tenders full time also. And the only thing I do to the gas is ne ounce per gallon Marvel Mystery Oil, also all year long. Never experienced any problems what so ever when Spring rolls around.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,917 Posts
I do not use fuel stabilizer any more. Many believes it adds gumminess. I do, however, ensure that only ethanol free gas is in my tank, and it is completely full. I also do an oil change right before the dormant season. (I still ride all winter, just not my M109.)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have been using fuel stabilizer for long term storage for as long as I can remember, maybe thirty years, without gumminess problems. However, on most of my bikes with carburetors, I drained the float bowls, which is where the worst gumminess could occur.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
I parked the bike on wood 4x6s (Both tires and kickstand) to keep it off the cold ground. I covered her in a nice flannel sheet to keep the dust off her as she was all cleaned up before storage.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My winter treatment is really simple... about 30*F I ride...just add leather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts