M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way back to NJ from Canada today, the pace on the highway picked up when a Harley Bagger and Goldwing zoomed by. I was following my buddy riding his Harley when he couldn't just let them pass us by. Long story short...we were in the triple digits.

Being in a M109R...I thought to myself...easy breezy to put myself in the front of the pack however it was no straight line and I felt as though whenever I would start to pass over 105mph, the front wheel would start to wobble and that if I went any faster it would be a recipe for disaster.

Ever see those videos where the guy is going straight and all of a sudden the front wheel starts to back and forth left to right, right to left, etc... That's what was happening but small movements that would be bigger when I would go faster.

To avoid disaster, I kept things to a comfortable non-wobbly speed.

I'm curious...what was this? What can I do/buy to avoid/stop or prevent it from happening in the future? Would be great to see my 109r go faster than 110mph without vibrating my vision away or threaten with loss of steering from wobble.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
time for a new front tire, there is most likely some minor cupping to the tread. off a balance issue

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Likely tire ,but still have the steering stem adjustment checked

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
639 Posts
Wobble

Wheel balanced, or as others have said about pressure etc, I have Dunlop 150 front and 250 back, gone up to 120 no problem

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Dunlop E3 wobble.
Yep, me thinks so too. I installed brand new E3s last spring and mine does it to, when it never did before. The tire's barely worn, and it certainly has no cupping. I'm running Dyna Beads and I wonder if adding an extra ounce to the front would cure it? I like the E3s in general, but I have heard of this problem before....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wheel balanced, or as others have said about pressure etc, I have Dunlop 150 front and 250 back, gone up to 120 no problem
Since we are talking about it... I too have a 150 in front and a 250 on the rear... What do you guys run for PSI? I run 40 PSI front and back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wtf? are you serious. That's exactly what I have. It's a new tire. the little nubs are still showing, plenty of tread.
I also made sure to check tire pressure amongst other things prior to leaving. Now that I'm home, I just went to check and...

Dunlop Elite 3

Rear: 240/40 R18 - 42PSI or I might have saw 44.
Front: 130/70 R19 - 36 PSI

So is the verdict, Dunlop Elite 3 sucks and I should get some other brand/type of tire?

Dunlop E3 wobble.

·
Registered
735 Posts
tire pressuew

wtf? are you serious. That's exactly what I have. It's a new tire. the little nubs are still showing, plenty of tread.
I also made sure to check tire pressure amongst other things prior to leaving. Now that I'm home, I just went to check and...

Dunlop Elite 3

So is the verdict, Dunlop Elite 3 sucks and I should get some other brand/type of tire?
I have a 130 front and a 250 rear I run 40 psi in the front and 45 psi in the rear and I have had my nine up to 130 with no wobble on Dunlop Elite 3 tires

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That's a bit odd last week coming back from the dragon with a fellow 9er I picked up a wobble at around an indicated 105 , scared the :edit: out of me . When it happened ( the first time) I was passing a pickup and thought I had gotten some bad air turbulence from it . The second time it happened near the same speed . This time I figured it was the same from a semi . The third time ( yeah im kinda slow didn't learn my lesson the first 2 times ) there was no cross wind or evident traffic. So the ready of the way back kept it under 95 . Next daut I jacked up the bike to inspect the tires and brakes and as soon as the wheel was in the air the front end fliped to one side so hard it bounced half way back to center . I removed the bat wing and checked the steering resistance and there was none !!!! I tightened the steering down but since I don't have a proper scale to check resistance I have to assume its better . I am hoping to replace the motor mounts tomorrow and recheck for a wobble . ( tire pressure and tread all checked out good )

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm hesitant to try 40psi in the front since that's a bit higher than recommended in the manual. I don't want to over inflate, but don't want the wobble either. I'll go have things checked, but feel as though my situation will remain. Good to know however that it's not just me however the results for the same tire are mixed.

I have a 130 front and a 250 rear I run 40 psi in the front and 45 psi in the rear and I have had my nine up to 130 with no wobble on Dunlop Elite 3 tires

·
Registered
735 Posts
Been running that pressure

I have a 2007 M109r and have been running those pressures in my Dunnie elite 3's for over 4 years without one failure or any trouble at speed or high speed. I had a wobble when I was running stock pressures in my elite 3's and the tire was wearing weird, it looked like it was wearing on one side of the tire so I started increasing pressure until it stopped wearing that way. the same with the rear tire looking like it was wearing odd, have not had any trouble since increasing the pressure to 40 in the front and 45 in the rear, I don't ride it like a Nun either I like curves and high speed. Enough said.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

Dunlop Elite 3

I have 2,200 miles on my set of Dunlop Elite 3 (130 front, 250 rear). I feel no vibration up to 135mph. I have heard that the E3's will cause a vibration over 140 so I backed off.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts

Dunlop Elite 3

Just a thought: If you checked it after coming back the tire would show higher pressure. I run 41 cold in the front.maybe 42. anything less I get wierd wear and wobble at speeds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts