M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left Lake George, NY about 7am this morning. I was gonna try and get all the way to Richmond, VA today but mother nature had something to say about it.

When we left Lake George it was overcast but not raining. Lamont said that the radar showed a clear shot on our route. So we didn't bother to put on our rain gear. We get about 5 miles down the road and we got hit with a very cold mist that only got worse as we went towards Albany, NY. Of course we didn't stop to put our rain gear on and we were now soaked. We were dressed the same. Leather jacket, t-shirt, jeans and boots. We finally stopped after 100 miles at a Walmart out in the country. We got something to eat and Lamont started shivering. He was totally soaked from head to toe. I checked my shirt to see how dry I was and I was 100% dry from waist to neck. The only difference was that I had a windshield and he didn't. Right at that moment Lamont wanted a windshield. Lamont bought new clothes and put on his rain gear.Â

We got dry four times and got wet four times.Â

So we did 500 miles under brutal conditions and stopped in Winchester, VA. We got here around 6:30PM.

The M109 is an awesome bike. Neither bike had any issues and is a good rain bike. We ran 70 mph this afternoon in a pretty strong rain.

Yesterday in Lake George I came out to the main road and needed to turn right to go down the main road to town. The side road is just down from a blind turn where cars and bikes were coming around it at 50+ mph. So you have to make sure nothing is visible and go like hell as the vehicles are on you immediately. I made the turn (the road was wet) and hit the throttle and found myself at about a 45 degree angle to the front wheel. I got it straight but it was a wild ride. Moral of this part of the story is don't hit the throttle hard on wet pavement. This bike will break it loose in a heartbeat on the wet.

WINDSHIELD REVIEW

I kept the shield at an angle to match the fork tube angle. I am 5' 10" and am slightly short legged with a taller torso. At speed the wind was hitting my helmet right at the top edge. It didn't bother me but there was more air noise than before. I need to move the shield slightly straighter and check it that way.

I didn't notice anything different about the ride of the bike compared to riding without the shield.

In the note above I mentioned that I did not get wet from waist to neck. The shield kept the water off of that area completely.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it a NINE and once I adjust it to decrease the air noise it will probably be a ten. It blends perfectly with the headlight and is the perfect size to maintain the sport-cruiser look. Personally, I think a larger shield would hurt the look of the bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------

We have some nasty looking bikes now and I will try and add a few pictures in a few minutes.

















 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Hey Bro, relax, have a few cold ones and get some rest. :beer3: :beer2: :beer3: :beer2:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hal, I didn't know you got a windshield. Post the particulars if you get a chance. If you already posted pics, maybe someone can direct me to the link please. Glad to hear you made it so far. I'd love to be able to do what you are doing, even in the weather you encountered. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
toneout said:
Hal, I didn't know you got a windshield. Post the particulars if you get a chance. If you already posted pics, maybe someone can direct me to the link please. Glad to hear you made it so far. I'd love to be able to do what you are doing, even in the weather you encountered. Thanks.
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1421.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
Thanks for the review of the shield while even on the road..in those rough conditions...you and Lamonster are pioneering this 109 forum....keep up the good work
and please be safe...take care and don't push it...smokey in Va. don't play...If your in Richmond...I'm about 1 hr away in Va Beach...if your coming this way...I'd hook up
with you and take you and Lamon to Bone Shakers...for the biggest burger and ale you can handle.
Not to mention but it a 85% Harley hang out...its an outdoor bar and grill...you'll see a lot of nice custom bikes too...and it's near the ocean front...lots to
see...including the bikini's :bigthumbsup:

Lemmee know !

Dave
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Thanks for the review of the shield while even on the road..in those rough conditions...you and Lamonster are pioneering this 109 forum....keep up the good work
and please be safe...take care and don't push it...smokey in Va. don't play...If your in Richmond...I'm about 1 hr away in Va Beach...if your coming this way...I'd hook up
with you and take you and Lamon to Bone Shakers...for the biggest burger and ale you can handle.
 Not to mention but it a 85% Harley hang out...its an outdoor bar and grill...you'll see a lot of nice custom bikes too...and it's near the ocean front...lots to
see...including the bikini's   :bigthumbsup:

Lemmee know !

Dave
Lamont is headed home to Tennessee this morning. I am going to Richmond to visit my two daughters. One has lived there for a while and the other is moving there this weekend. Her husband finally got a real job after about 12 years of college and medical school and various residencies. So I have to spend some time with them before I fly home tomorrow.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hal - thanks for the report on the windshield. I hope you'll post more thoughts on it when you get home and shake off the road. :D

As well as the angle adjustment, can it be raised or lowered any to accomodate different rider heights? Since your chest stayed dry, I'm assuming there was also no wind buffeting in that area either. How about wind deflection around the sides of the shield - did your arms get soaked or was the shield providing some protection there as well?

I hope these don't sound like dorky questions, but my other ride is a Valk I/S so I'm used to good wind protection, and I don't want to ruin the look of the 109 with a large shield. The one you have is the best style for the 109's lines that I've seen so far.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Candingo said:
Hal - thanks for the report on the windshield. I hope you'll post more thoughts on it when you get home and shake off the road. :D

As well as the angle adjustment, can it be raised or lowered any to accomodate different rider heights? Since your chest stayed dry, I'm assuming there was also no wind buffeting in that area either. How about wind deflection around the sides of the shield - did your arms get soaked or was the shield providing some protection there as well?

I hope these don't sound like dorky questions, but my other ride is a Valk I/S so I'm used to good wind protection, and I don't want to ruin the look of the 109 with a large shield. The one you have is the best style for the 109's lines that I've seen so far.
It can be angled forward and back. The height only changes as a result of the forward and backward movement.

The only air I felt from the waist up was just a little at the top of the helmet.

Memphis does make a taller version of this windshield but I forget the name until I get home and look at a catalog. But don't ruin the lines of the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Hey ..i like that tank bag you have ...info please whomakes it and were to get one and price ..... its exactly what im looking for .....
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well its a Givi but I am waiting for the invoice as the Givi guys just let us take it pending the bill. We will be selling them.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top