M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lamont and I have talked about how we are going to deal with the exhaust once they start coming out. First, I encourage you to wait until we get the pipes into our warehouse and installed on one of our M109's. There are just too many variables to deal with that we do not know the answers to. For instance, what happens to the Horsepower and Torque when the exhaust modulating valve is removed? No one knows at this point. So here is what we plan to do:

1. Install every new exhaust on the M109. Photograph it to see if there are any issues and measure to see how much additional clearance there will be from all angles.

2. Have the bike dynoed for real world HP and torque with the new pipes.

3. Evaluate the quality of the pipes as we get them.

4. Ride the bike with the new pipes so we can really determine how it rides. Any burping or hiccuping?

5. Post sound clips for all of the pipes that we install.

So don't be the guy that has to have the first set of pipes cause it may be a big mistake. Give us a week or so after each set comes in and we will post the results. For those of you that are new we have the stock pipes dynoed with the results posted on this board.

Here is the link to the Dyno Charts: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=54.0

·
Registered
101 Posts
Much appreciated Hal. Im sure our appreciation will be reflected in where we order our exhausts. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
:bigthumbsup:

you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: I cancelled my order for the Hardkrome and will hold off until you start getting your in, put my on the wait list.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Will You test with all as stock first? Just changing the pipes?
Several bikes i have had i didnt have to change anything except pipes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bolinrj said:
Will You test with all as stock first? Just changing the pipes?
Several bikes i have had i didnt have to change anything except pipes.
We have already done the stock version. Click on the link on the top post and you can see the results.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry I didnt clarify my answer. I mean with Just Pipes changed and everything else left stock
No fuel mgmt system changes.? Do you guys have a Dyno in the ohio shop?? hell we dont have one here. thanks for the site and i have bought parts for several diffrent bikes from you guys and find you to be quite the dealer for accessories

·
Registered
67 Posts
THAT IS AWESOME!! You will have my business when it comes to buying pipes. Looking forward to seeing your results. Great idea! With an audience of over 400 members, it can't help but pay off for you guys. WIN WIN all the way around. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its just that over the years that Lamont and I have seen people throw their money away on exhaust systems that are nothing but junk. And particularly when the bike first comes out and there are few real good choices. We hope to at least post some basic info so that you will not be making a blind purchase.

And yea it would be nice if we sold a few systems but thats not why we are doing it.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
When I had my Valkyrie I had dyno runs for just about every mod you could think of. I use to get a kick out of the guys who would put a 6 into 6 on and tell me how much better it ran. It may have sounded better but they lost 6 to 8 hp and if you were lucky with the proper jetting and needles you could get it back close to stock. ::)

I want to see these pipes make power not just sound. Sound might be fine for some folks but I'm not in the habit of going backwards when I modify my bikes. This will be fun to see what the real nubers are now that we have a baseline to work with. 8)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lamontster, :duck:
Are you going to sell your original stock exhaust or hold onto it? I was thinking that since I really like the stock look, maybe I can just buy someone's undamaged heat shields who is changing it out?
-Tim

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
dilbertian said:
Lamontster, :duck:
Are you going to sell your original stock exhaust or hold onto it? I was thinking that since I really like the stock look, maybe I can just buy someone's undamaged heat shields who is changing it out?
-Tim
I'll be keeping them, sorry. ::)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have often wondered is there value upon trade if you still have the original exhaust? have been asked a couple times if i still had the OEM exhaust.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's cool :bigthumbsup:, thanks anyway. I will be watching your results very closely :read:. If anyone needs an East Coast test bike and the pipes look sweet, I would be interested in testing and doing the dyno, recordings and all that, but I don't want to spend much more then around $600.

After having a Bub on my VSTAR 1100 for the past 9 months, I am really enjoying the dynamics and throaty roar of the M109R stock exhaust. When it's loud it's loud but when you are at a light you just hear - or excuse me - FEEL the thump...thump...of those mighty pistons. Yes it could be a bit louder but hopefully not as loud as my Bub was. Obviously you are still working on the testing but inherently, are there aftermarket exhaust systems which have similar dynamics (volume wise) to the stock exhaust system? Louder at full throttle is fine, I just like the bliddy bladdy at the lights without being overly obnoxious as mine is a daily commuter and I try not to offend other drivers if possible - unless they are playing wrap music with the sub-woofers cranked way up and then I make sure I pull right next to them and start checking my throttle to make sure there is plenty of free play in it. :hot:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts