M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read some of the comments that were made that people thought would cause the bike to bottom out prematurely. Here is what my bike can do and there is plenty of clearance underneath. The only thing that is getting close are the large cast left and right arms for the clutch and brake levers. And the photos are slightly deceiving as the asphalt is slightly angled the other way. I think you have to be MotoGP class to make this bottom out.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
What pipes are on there when you tested it Hal? I think the stock pipes will touch earlier than the cobra's as some of us have scraped them already.

Sledzep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sledzep01 said:
What pipes are on there when you tested it Hal? I think the stock pipes will touch earlier than the cobra's as some of us have scraped them already.

Sledzep
I have the Cobra. But the next time I see JYD we will measure and see what the dimensional difference is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also you are gonna lose a bit more than shows if you are runnin soft on your rear suspension, still thats not bad especially for a cruiser thats been lowered

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
and if you put a 200 lb. guy on there too, the bike will be at least an inch lower

Don't ask how i know, but the bike will lean all the way over and set on the forward control brackets without hitting anything else. I've got jason's 2.5" bones on my bike for reference

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlkM109r said:
and if you put a 200 lb. guy on there too, the bike will be at least an inch lower

Don't ask how i know, but the bike will lean all the way over and set on the forward control brackets without hitting anything else. I've got jason's 2.5" bones on my bike for reference
There was a 200 lb guy on the bike with one leg touching the ground.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Well, I notice in the first pic that your peg is already folding up, which makes the lean look even further. Another thing you aren't accounting for is the lack of any weight on the seat with the suspension, which is gonna make the bike touch down sooner and close that gap under the bike sooner. I guess I must be Moto GP class, and just didn't even know it, cause I've hit hard parts on my bike... and I just have the 2.5" bones.

Remember, bottoming out doesn't just come from leaning over until you hit hard parts. It comes from leaning over, dragging pegs, and then hitting a dip or irregularity in the road that causes your suspension to give even more. That's when your hard parts hit and make the back tire go real light. I know what my bike has done after being lowered. And for the record, I do NOT regret lowering my bike. I have just had to change my riding style a bit, which took some getting used to at first, but is second nature now. I just replace my peg feelers more often now. If people want to think that lowering the pegs one full inch closer to the ground has no noticeable effect at all if they aren't MotoGP class riders, then by all means keep thinking that. I should also suggest that if you never touch your pegs down in the corners, you should try harder to do it so you get comfortable with the sound and feel so it doesn't startle you when it happens and you aren't expecting it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
There was a 200 lb guy on the bike with one leg touching the ground.
Ummm, I don't care to debate the issue any more, but that guy has both his legs on the ground. It's clearly visible in all pics (except the 2 undercarriage ones), either directly, or by the fact that there is no foot on the peg that is on the outside of the lean. This means his weight is clearly not on the bike.

Even still, a bike's suspension is compressed more when in a corner than it is with a rider just sitting on the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Medic1210 said:
Ummm, I don't care to debate the issue any more, but that guy has both his legs on the ground. It's clearly visible in all pics (except the 2 undercarriage ones), either directly, or by the fact that there is no foot on the peg that is on the outside of the lean. This means his weight is clearly not on the bike.

Even still, a bike's suspension is compressed more when in a corner than it is with a rider just sitting on the bike.
His butt his on the seat. Most of the weight is on the bike. There were three guys there holding up the bike. He wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
BlkM109r said:
I've only hit the forward control brackets on the left side. On the right side, my pipes touch down first (after the pegs of course).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not all the time. If the throttle is applied the swingarm actually lifts the bike up.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
His butt his on the seat. Most of the weight is on the bike. There were three guys there holding up the bike. He wasn't one of them.
Ok, if you say so. I wasn't there. I can only go by the fact that his legs are not relaxed in the pics. They are locked straight at the knees with his ankle bent, which tells me he is supporting his weight on that leg. Personally, I could care less. People are gonna believe what they want to believe. If they want to believe the bike's corner clearance is unchanged, then by all means let them. Heck, if they wanna believe the bike's cornering clearance is even improved, then fine by me. I have tried to give an honest appraisal of how the bike is affected, but get basically told that I don't know what I'm talking about, because if Toneout don't notice a difference, then nobody else is gonna notice a difference. ::) (Not a jab at Toneout, cause he didn't say that). I've measured the bike before and after. The pegs drop a full inch with the 2.5" bones. If people wanna think that is gonna make no difference at all, then by all means, that their perogative. I happen to know different from personal experience. I'm tired of the topic personally. Any time I disagree with one of the majors on the board, I end up getting looked down on. I really should just go with the flow and agree with everything that is said here. ::)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Medic, your opinion is important here. Just because I haven't noticed a difference doesn't discount your experiences. I am sure I weigh more than you, our shocks are set differently, our tire pressures are different and so are our riding styles. All these play a part. It is crucial that if this board is to exist as a valuable source of information that differing points of view are expressed. I can assure you that I would rather hear differing points of view rather than the party line. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Medic1210 said:
Ok, if you say so. I wasn't there. I can only go by the fact that his legs are not relaxed in the pics. They are locked straight at the knees with his ankle bent, which tells me he is supporting his weight on that leg. Personally, I could care less. People are gonna believe what they want to believe. If they want to believe the bike's corner clearance is unchanged, then by all means let them. Heck, if they wanna believe the bike's cornering clearance is even improved, then fine by me. I have tried to give an honest appraisal of how the bike is affected, but get basically told that I don't know what I'm talking about, because if Toneout don't notice a difference, then nobody else is gonna notice a difference. ::) (Not a jab at Toneout, cause he didn't say that). I've measured the bike before and after. The pegs drop a full inch with the 2.5" bones. If people wanna think that is gonna make no difference at all, then by all means, that their perogative. I happen to know different from personal experience. I'm tired of the topic personally. Any time I disagree with one of the majors on the board, I end up getting looked down on. I really should just go with the flow and agree with everything that is said here. ::)
Time out.

I didn't say that nothing was changed.

I will make some measurements and pass them on.

And the bones may not be for everybody but I think that of all of the mods that can be done to this bike that it makes the bike "LOOK" the best for the least amount of money. Now if you are going to go out and run the twisties like a mad man then maybe it should be left stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a lot of twisties here in florida ::)

I like to lean her as much as possible when conering, and in sweeping roads, but I guess I will just change my riding style to compensate for the difference...

Hal I want to sit on yours and take it for a spin and see how they behave with a REAL big guy ;)
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
And the bones may not be for everybody but I think that of all of the mods that can be done to this bike that it makes the bike "LOOK" the best for the least amount of money. Now if you are going to go out and run the twisties like a mad man then maybe it should be left stock.
I agree. I lowered my bike for the looks. It just so happens I also enjoy riding the twisties over going straight. I don't regret for one minute the fact that I lowered the bike. I just have seen so many people ask how the bones change the bike's cornering ability, and I see so many generic responses of "This is how the bike should come stock" or "The bike handles better". It was initially thought that since you were lowering the rear of the bike, and that the controls were so far forward, that they would only be affected minimally, but nobody had taken any real measurements to give a definitive answer. So, before I installed my bones, I took measurements so I could honestly say how much they dropped. Needless to say I was a bit surprised when they went from 11" to 10" with the bike level. I then took the bike for a ride on the closest thing my county has to "The Dragon" which is a very curvy section that is a couple miles long. I have ridden this road many many times, so I know what corners I drag in at certain speeds. When I rode it on my newly lowered bike at the speed that I normally take it, I found that I was dragging in corners I used to clear outright, and dragging harder in corners I used to 'just touch down' on... some so hard that it messed up my line or hit my pipes and made the bike feel light. To me, this was all the proof I needed to confidently say that, yes, the lowering bones is gonna change how your bike corners. I've said it in other posts that if you rarely or never drag your pegs, you may find yourself touching down more frequently. If you already drag your pegs on a regular basis, then you are gonna have to change your riding style some because you are gonna touch down sooner and harder in the corners. At first, I had mixed feelings about lowering my ride since I was having to re-learn my bike's cornering characteristics, but now it's second nature. I'm definitely not a MotoGP rider. I'm relatively inexperienced in fact. I still can see a change. If I wanted to hit the twisties any harder and faster, I would be on a sport bike, but I can have just as much fun hitting thost twisties I love at 35 mph on my lowered 109 as I was at 45mph at stock height. Anybody I currently ride with on a cruiser has to work to keep up with me. If I had a lot of friends that I had to work hard to keep up with in the twisties at stock height, I would really regret lowering it since I would have even more trouble keeping up. I just want others who are considering lowering their bike to decide what's important to them. If going balls to the wall on windy roads is more important to them than looks, then they need to consider leavin it stock, or buying the air ride, which is IMHO the absolute best option if you can afford it. Sadly, I cannot.

I apologize if I came across as defensive in my previous response.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
gonna depend on where you live and how you ride, it will be a personal choice. I for one like mine like it is but I would pop for a better shock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Medic1210 said:
I agree. I lowered my bike for the looks. It just so happens I also enjoy riding the twisties over going straight. I don't regret for one minute the fact that I lowered the bike. I just have seen so many people ask how the bones change the bike's cornering ability, and I see so many generic responses of "This is how the bike should come stock" or "The bike handles better". It was initially thought that since you were lowering the rear of the bike, and that the controls were so far forward, that they would only be affected minimally, but nobody had taken any real measurements to give a definitive answer. So, before I installed my bones, I took measurements so I could honestly say how much they dropped. Needless to say I was a bit surprised when they went from 11" to 10" with the bike level. I then took the bike for a ride on the closest thing my county has to "The Dragon" which is a very curvy section that is a couple miles long. I have ridden this road many many times, so I know what corners I drag in at certain speeds. When I rode it on my newly lowered bike at the speed that I normally take it, I found that I was dragging in corners I used to clear outright, and dragging harder in corners I used to 'just touch down' on... some so hard that it messed up my line or hit my pipes and made the bike feel light. To me, this was all the proof I needed to confidently say that, yes, the lowering bones is gonna change how your bike corners. I've said it in other posts that if you rarely or never drag your pegs, you may find yourself touching down more frequently. If you already drag your pegs on a regular basis, then you are gonna have to change your riding style some because you are gonna touch down sooner and harder in the corners. At first, I had mixed feelings about lowering my ride since I was having to re-learn my bike's cornering characteristics, but now it's second nature. I'm definitely not a MotoGP rider. I'm relatively inexperienced in fact. I still can see a change. If I wanted to hit the twisties any harder and faster, I would be on a sport bike, but I can have just as much fun hitting thost twisties I love at 35 mph on my lowered 109 as I was at 45mph at stock height. Anybody I currently ride with on a cruiser has to work to keep up with me. If I had a lot of friends that I had to work hard to keep up with in the twisties at stock height, I would really regret lowering it since I would have even more trouble keeping up. I just want others who are considering lowering their bike to decide what's important to them. If going balls to the wall on windy roads is more important to them than looks, then they need to consider leavin it stock, or buying the air ride, which is IMHO the absolute best option if you can afford it. Sadly, I cannot.

I apologize if I came across as defensive in my previous response.
Good post. I think we actually agree on this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts