M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I am fine and the bike is not badly damaged even though these pictures make it look much worse then it is. My ego is probably hurt the worst but I will get over it. I have only been riding a year come August and I started on a VSTAR 1100 and just got my M109R about 3 weeks ago. This was my first motorcycle accident.

I was riding down a back road with lots of traffic on my tail and wanted to do a U-Turn so I pulled off to a shoulder that looked safe to let the cars on my tail pass (it was a 25 mph zone and they were in a hurry I guess). It wasn't as safe as I had thought. It was filled with gravel and the bike went out from under me before I could even blink. I don't know how but one minute the bike is going down and next minute I was just standing next to it unharmed in any way. I am a mountain biker and have had many, many accidents so I am guessing it was just instinct that took over. Here is a picture of the bike after the crash scene seconds after it happened (I am a quick draw with my camera which was mounted on my belt): http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1192591&pid=1931433

Here are some close-ups (some too close and slightly out of focus) of the damage. These were taken from the bottom of the bike so you can barely see any damage when standing over the bike minus a few minor dents in the exhaust shielding.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1192591&pid=1931434
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1192591&pid=1931435
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1192591&pid=1931436

I don't know how it happened, I think it was a combination of a high lip between the road (it was much higher then it appears in that first photo) and the shoulder, a shallow angle of entry to the shoulder, and me locking up the front brake accidentally. USE BACK BRAKE ON GRAVEL - NOT FRONT! AND BRAKE GENTLY!

A jogger/walker was passing by with his wife who was a biker - he had a BMW (as he told me afterwards) and saw the whole thing. He was actually trying to help me get the bike up right away but I was pulling out my camera to take pictures and had to tell him to stand back for a second. Now I had just come from the gas station so he said...hey there is something pouring out of your tank. Sure enough gasoline was gushing out. I took the picture and practically dove across the bike to turn off the ignition. We then quickly worked on getting the bike back up after he yelled to his wife to stand back incase it exploded or caught fire. We got it upright on our first try. I don't know if I could have done it myself but it wasn't bad with someone helping. I think the first accessory I will get will be those drop bars - whatever they are called which could have helped to prevent the damage to my exhaust system. Once I get those bars I will either repair or replace this exhaust system so it looks as good as new.

Fear of getting back on the bike never entered my mind. I am not fearless but I just didn't even think about it. I got back on and went down the road. I pulled over and took a short walk but afterwards I headed home. On my first red light, I looked around for police and then proceeded to nail first at somewhere between 4500-5550 or maybe more. The front tire popped off the ground for a split second and then I hung on for dear life. Next thing you know I am hitting either third or fourth at 90+ in a 55 and the car that was beside me at the light is now a small dot in my rear view mirror. No sign of mental trauma from the accident I guess.

Drive smart and drive safe!

G

·
Wow, loose gravel under the front tire sucks. I am glad you are okay and not injured mentally or physically. Take it for what it's worth: a learning experience. You are fortunate that all you need are pipes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are two kinds of motorcyle riders in the world, Those who have been down, nd those who going to go down.

Don't read into to that Toneout!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i looked at the pics before reading, and said to myself..."front brake did that". glad you're ok bud.

i fly remote control helicopters as another hobby. we don't call them crashes, we call them "upgrade opportunities". look at it as an excuse to upgrade the pipes :p.

·
Registered
44 Posts
glad your fine ----BUT having a mountain bike back ground is differend from cruiser riding
it's not OK to keep falling down :joke: :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Ride safe my brother. I went down once hard on my 04 R1. I learned to respect my bike and the road alot after that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
glad you're okay. I think if I were you I'd wait for the new pipes from lamonster and hal :) like they said, this is an upgrade opportunity

Anthony

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for making me feel better - I am thinking I really like the stock pipes so may try and beg some stock pipes of those willing to make the mod. I would be willing to pay for them but am waiting on pricing to see what they will run me new. If I can't find any stock, I will just get the best sounding aftermarket pipes and be happy once again.

I forgot to mention that when I was at a local dealer tonight, he said that he expects to have a Suzuki M109R accessory catalog with pricing within the next week. Not sure if this is for-real or not but just passing some info along.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just an update on the price of the stock exhaust. Not sure how accurate this is, but a friend at a dealership said they're $1000. and he says the rims are $1000 each as well.

Anthony

1 - 20 of 21 Posts