M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nine came with the Dunlop D221 Sportsmax tire which I promply wore out in 8600 miles so I was shopping for tire and came across these Elite 3's which had a good price and I put them on. I had trouble immediately because the Elite's need more air pressure then the OE tires. So I went to the Suzuki dealer and asked if he could get the OE tire and check the price on them. WOW! Talk about shocking, I can replace the Elite 3's both front and rear tires twice for what Suzuki want for the D221 Sportmax rear tire. I said to the dealer, you didn't perchance look up the gold plated one did you. He told me that this was Suzuki's price on that tire. Way Way out of line. I guess I will just stick with the Elite 3's they have worked well and as long as you keep more pressure in them they are working fine.:edit:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
the dunlop e3 250/40/18 is what you want, i have it and love it, the e3 240 tire is to narrow and looks stupid, trust me, i sold the e3 240 the second it was mounted on the rim, the rim is wider them the e3 240 tire and the 250 looks great. and has a long life. its like the stock dunlop 240 is wider, even though it is the same size as the e3 240, go figure. again the 250 fits the rim great, and works great as well. :doorag::doorag::doorag: p.s. I keep the pressure at 40 psi

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
OE tire replacement is $$$ everywhere. Your right going with the E3's.
Front 40 PSI
Rear 42 PSI

G

·
As others have already said...go with the E3s. For what it's worth, Dunlop essentially doesn't admit that the stock tires exist...they can't be found on their website. They're cheapo crap that they produce en mass to sell as OEM tires to the manufacturers. That should tell you something. I've got over 10K miles on my E3s. Front is starting to cup a bit, and I'll likely replace them by the end of the month, but I barely got 6500-6700 miles out of stock tires.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
You aren't going to find tire deal's at a dealer. My dealer had the same tire sitting in his shop for at lest six month's and still wanted the same. It was a metz which you can get for $200 on the net, he wanted $365 saying he couldn't go lower because of his cost. Some thing's you get from them, most you don't.:doorag:
The time will come when someone needs a tire to get them back home and would gladly pay that price to get back on the road.

G

·
The time will come when someone needs a tire to get them back home and would gladly pay that price to get back on the road.
A flat 500 miles from home is one thing...but I won't pay dealer price for tires under normal circumstances. The last time I showed up with tires in hand to have them changed, the service guy said: "You know I probably could have gotten these for you for the same price you paid online". I told him what I paid for 'em, and that ended the conversation.:bigthumbsup: Online distributors are buying in bulk. Most dealers won't have a couple of dozen of the same tire in stock at any given time, it's not practical. Price matching is basically impossible unless they are content to break even and just get paid for labor. Yet, it mystifies them that people buy them elsewhere. I don't get it.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
My Nine came with the Dunlop D221 Sportsmax tire which I promply wore out in 8600 miles so I was shopping for tire and came across these Elite 3's which had a good price and I put them on. I had trouble immediately because the Elite's need more air pressure then the OE tires. So I went to the Suzuki dealer and asked if he could get the OE tire and check the price on them. WOW! Talk about shocking, I can replace the Elite 3's both front and rear tires twice for what Suzuki want for the D221 Sportmax rear tire. I said to the dealer, you didn't perchance look up the gold plated one did you. He told me that this was Suzuki's price on that tire. Way Way out of line. I guess I will just stick with the Elite 3's they have worked well and as long as you keep more pressure in them they are working fine.:edit:
Not saying your stealer is always the way to go but one thing people dont think about is if you order off the net it can take up to 2-3 days or 2-3 weeks then you pay for mount/bal is the tire is bad you pay for dis/mount then your bike sits while you work out with the place you got the tire from that it is bad and ship it back then they look at it a week then in two weeks you get a new tire that could have the same problem after six months in your on here ranting and :edit: this and :edit: that not that all online places will be like that but 75mi is less of a pain to drive to find a shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts