M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, what have you guys done to improve the headlight's bulb on our bikes?
Easy E on a 9 showed me his HID kit but there is no high beam. I know that the HID is stronger than the high beam on our bikes but I'd like to have a option to change from low to high.
Some of you had a LED strip installed on the headlight assembly as well. I prefer not to open the lens and would like to know if anyone can show me pictures of a LED mod done outside of the lens. Can we tap on the wire harness of the headlight? So far my LEDs and knight rider kits are on a separated harness with its own fuse and switch.
I'd appreciate if you guys tell me what type (s) of bulb (s) kit (s) and where to buy them. Also a LED strip for the headlight.
Regards!
H

·
Registered
143 Posts
LED mod is SUPER easy and looks nice too.
The simple fix is to order a DDM Dual mode HID that has high and lo beam. Its like $40 shipped!
Works like a champ

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Silverstar

I use the Silverstar bulb in my Cavalcade and it's the brightest 55/60 bulb I've ever seen.

About $20 at Walmart. A few bucks more at autoparts. #9003.

I will be changing the 9 to that as well.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use the Silverstar bulb in my Cavalcade and it's the brightest 55/60 bulb I've ever seen.

Tracy
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts

Tracy
:agree: Much brighter than stock...easy install. The high beam is SUPER bright and casts a very wide beam that lights up the whole road at night.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have the HID kit and love it very very very very much!!!!:bigthumbsup:

There is no need for the high beam light it just look like a Bic lighter compared to the HID

and the cars can see this light it gets allot of attention

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts

Tracy
They do not seem to last that long from what other member have stated in there posts. I do not think these are anti-vibration bulbs. I would put and HID or PIAA in there.

I have this listed in the Bang for the Bucks Mods thread in my signature.

3. Custom HID light kit $70 - $110 shipped within the continental US.

A ton of info in this thread, but with higher pricing.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
just get an HID kit from A&R and never have to worry about it again. great product and they stand behind them.

you don't need an option for a high beam with an HID headlight. but if you really must have one than go with the option someone else posted for the HID light.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Have not had that problem

They do not seem to last that long from what other member have stated in there posts. I do not think these are anti-vibration bulbs. I would put and HID or PIAA in there.

I have this listed in the Bang for the Bucks Mods thread in my signature.

3. Custom HID light kit $70 - $110 shipped within the continental US.

A ton of info in this thread, but with higher pricing.
Have had one in the Cavalcade for the last 10K miles or so (maybe more). Have a lot of Cade riders that use it and none have expressed any specific life issues.

I suppose there is less vibration on the Cade.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LED strip for the headlight

What about the LEDs strip? What is the size/type? Can anyone recommend where to get them?
There are a bunch on ebay but I rather get the correct from someone who already has one installed.
Thanks for all the replies on the headlight. I'm going to try getting a brighter bulb first.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
www.ddmtuning.com I have 4 sets of HID's from them, not a single issue.
you wont beat thier prices. I got the HI/LO kit.

Forget a Silverstar, over priced normal bulb that is a bit brighter and lasts about 7-11 months. If a silverstar is the brightest bulb you have ever seen you obviously have not seen an HID in our bikes...its amazing!

As far as LED's there are TONS of options...but I got the ones in my headlight for like 13 bux at AutoZone. there is a how-to on here, just search.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I have the HID with the single bulb (some say no high beam) but the unit has a magnetic position changer that shifts the angle of the bulb for brights. I use my brights all the time. with that setting I can shine out 1/8 a mile great for deer watch and the street signs GLOW. best mod i have done on the bike.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I had the HID kit that DLP sold and now have the DDM Tuning kit on mine. Both are equal in performance but the DDM kit is a lot cheaper. I also had the Silverstar bulb that is made for bike use and it's OK, but it's now in my wife's bike. It was good but not like a HID.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just got my DDM Tuning kit in the mail.....now preparing to install it.
Were you guys able to put all the pieces (starter + ballast) up in the nacel??
I already have a stebel horn in there so I'm wondering if there will be room.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I just got my DDM Tuning kit in the mail.....now preparing to install it.
Were you guys able to put all the pieces (starter + ballast) up in the nacel??
I already have a stebel horn in there so I'm wondering if there will be room.
It all fits. I put the ballast right on top of the headlight, then mounted the starter on top of that, using double stick tape. When you pull the nacelle off look at the top of the headlight and you'll see where I mounted it. It also works well when you take the nacelle off, as you just unplug two wires and pull it all off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It all fits. I put the ballast right on top of the headlight, then mounted the starter on top of that, using double stick tape. When you pull the nacelle off look at the top of the headlight and you'll see where I mounted it. It also works well when you take the nacelle off, as you just unplug two wires and pull it all off.
Yup...what he said. :):agree:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
www.ddmtuning.com I have 4 sets of HID's from them, not a single issue.
you wont beat thier prices. I got the HI/LO kit.

Forget a Silverstar, over priced normal bulb that is a bit brighter and lasts about 7-11 months. If a silverstar is the brightest bulb you have ever seen you obviously have not seen an HID in our bikes...its amazing!

As far as LED's there are TONS of options...but I got the ones in my headlight for like 13 bux at AutoZone. there is a how-to on here, just search.
Was this kit you got? http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/ It comes with two bulbs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts