M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Got the Silver 109 around the end of July and been having tons of fun with it. Now getting "cooler" here in VA.
I'm looking to find out what winter gloves are being used and your opinions on which ones are the warmest and wear the best!
Changed from a bike with windshield and heated grips. Recently got a Rifle windshield for the 109, but figure the hands will still be getting cold. Cut off temp. range for me was around 35°-40°. Going to find out what the new temp. range will be.

Thanks,
Ribbert

G

·
gerbing.com period :)

then one second waterproof pair (check out newenough.com) to keep as well

p.s. my very first post on my journal at alanwhite123.com has some info as to what I have, etc.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well i personally use 2 different sets....
for 40 degree weather i just put a pair of silk glove liners in my perforated leather gloves...
for riding below that (i stop riding when it hits the teens) I wear a pair of Olympia winter gloves... these things will make ya sweat above 50 degrees quick....when it hits the teens my hands are still warm, just the rest of me is frozen....

·
Registered
665 Posts
For "real cold weather riding" check out gloves used for snowmobile riding. Also some say the heated grips are great,but I haven't used them. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I use two pairs. One for summer, and one for winter. I also have Gerbing heated gloves and socks for longer rides.
I don't use the heated gloves for commuting, too many wires on a daily basis.

I never had much use for motorcycle specific gloves. They are always way over priced, for what you get.
I would suggest picking up the warmest gloves you can still work the buttons and levers with. Many stores carry gloves that are ideal for motorcycles without the cost.

I live in Canada, so I don't have any specific stores to direct you to.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Get a heated vest to keep your core warm. Studies have shown that this tricks your body into thinking you're warm and not shunting blood away from your hands. This is why your hands get cold. When your core gets cold, your body shunts the blood away from your extremities and into the core. The television show Ultimate Survival had the guy sit in 17 degree room with a heated vest on and bare hands. His hands remained a constant 86 degrees as measured by infra red camera for well over 30 minutes, but as soon as the vest was turned off, his hands began immediately cooling down. Within minutes, they were very cold and he had virtually no dexterity in his fingers.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Get a heated vest to keep your core warm. Studies have shown that this tricks your body into thinking you're warm and not shunting blood away from your hands. This is why your hands get cold. When your core gets cold, your body shunts the blood away from your extremities and into the core. The television show Ultimate Survival had the guy sit in 17 degree room with a heated vest on and bare hands. His hands remained a constant 86 degrees as measured by infra red camera for well over 30 minutes, but as soon as the vest was turned off, his hands began immediately cooling down. Within minutes, they were very cold and he had virtually no dexterity in his fingers.
where would you suggest to look for a heated vest....to purchase that is..
tc

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
TexasCruzer said:
tc
A link posted above www.gerbing.com sells heated clothes. Any decent online motorcycle store will sell heated vests or jackets.

·
Registered
297 Posts
TexasCruzer said:
tc
You could also try Widder. They have lectric gloves ,vests, and chaps. I have the gloves that keeps me toasty.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Gee...I recently started using my deer hunting gloves...a nice pair of Remington shooting gloves that I picked up for about $15 at Wally World (Wal-Mart for the uninitiated). I ride with a pair of half finger leather gloves until my fingertips are too cold to use the computer when I get to work. :D

G

·
I have to admit, I get cold easily on a bike, especially one like my 109 that doesn't deflect air via shield, etc. Once it gets below 60ish, I break out decent gloves, balaclava, the whole deal. I'm just more comfie.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I guess im going to be looking at this thread a while as well. Im noticing since im getting **cough older** that my hands dont hold up as well in the cold. Right now the only gloves i have are Tourmaster Cortech Scarab R.R. Nice gloves but not in the cold i tried to get the silk underliners. Still not warm enough.

Keep the info coming please. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
man its been so long, I don't remember...all of em have held up well over the years. All except the HD and gerbing were pretty cheap and looking at newenough.com the quality seems better and cheaper than when I got my stuff

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Just got my Joe Rocket gloves ............ it gonna be about 30 degrees here tonight and I have got to go for a ride after work to see how warm they are :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I've always had great luck with anything from Olympia   http://www.olympiagloves.com/gloves.html  Since i also ride a M/C for a living, and it gets cold, and I have to be able to fire my Glock while wearing them......I would suggest the #4370 "Cold Throttle's". They're warm, yet you can still maintain good "feel" on the bars and controls, and they last. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts