M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some input. I'm coming from a CBR1100XX and have always wore a full face flip helmet, but now I want an open face "shorty" or half helmet. I do have one, but I hate the fit, look, and horrible sound from the straps that form the "Y" around my ears. Does anyone have a suggestions for something that won't make me deaf and that won't feel like balancing a bowl on top of my head. I did see that Bell makes a helmet called the Drifter and it looks like it's side are a little deeper and that it might hug the sides of your head a little closer.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I came from the exact same bike helmet combo.

I have an icon domain full face for freeway on the M109, I have a chrome skid lid without the visor for boulevard and just cruising. The skid lid runs one to two sizes big.

I also have earplugs for riding skid lid with my Harley buddies.

I thought that this helmet was cool but didn't get it. A lot of people think it's cheesy though http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=14350&department=101&division=1

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just curious -- why would you want to stop wearing the full face? They are way, way safer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the open feel of a half helmet sometimes. And in the deep of August here in MD, the humidity will suffocate you. By the way, bikes don't have seat belts either.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
well i must be a weired one i prefer not to wear a helmet but i do have a full face one and thinking of getting a open face one

·
Registered
600 Posts
Full-face here. I'd rather sweat than bleed :duck:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I've seen pics with those that choose to wear those half helmets...I gotta say , yuk ! I have a full face ...KBC VR3 , 300.00 helmet, nice as nice can be.
Dot, Snell approved , extremely light weight , small and vented....and wisper quiet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
L-Train said:
You like that dragon helmet Phaed?

I do too. My buddies think it's cheesy.
I ride with one and really like it. I wear glasses and it's hard to find something that will cut down on the wind short of goggles of prescription riding glasses.

Why do you care what your buddies think? Tell'em to go buy one of these:

http://www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com/view_category.asp?cat=50

·
Registered
525 Posts
montoya32 said:
Just wanted to get some input. I'm coming from a CBR1100XX and have always wore a full face flip helmet, but now I want an open face "shorty" or half helmet. I do have one, but I hate the fit, look, and horrible sound from the straps that form the "Y" around my ears. Does anyone have a suggestions for something that won't make me deaf and that won't feel like balancing a bowl on top of my head. I did see that Bell makes a helmet called the Drifter and it looks like it's side are a little deeper and that it might hug the sides of your head a little closer.
If you wore a full face helmet previously, there will never be a shorty or half helmet good enough for you.
However, ear plugs are used alot for the wind noise because of those "Y" straps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey I liked the Dragon, dorky or not , its cool. Looks like a fighter pilot helmet. Just need to mount some machine guns on the 109 and clear traffic..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i use a fulmer half helmet. got a dragon on order for a wireless headphone project i'm gonna try though. it's your buddy's job to give you crap...don't worry about what they say :p.

·
Registered
260 Posts
[quote  it's your buddy's job to give you crap...don't worry about what they say :p.
he cant give u a hard time about ur bike so he has to pick on ur helmet lol

Bruce

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wanted said:
Just curious -- why would you want to stop wearing the full face? They are way, way safer.
full face helmets are only safer from debris and impacts less than 23 mph. We are fighting the helmet law here in MA, and have lots of data to prove that helmets do not offer as much impact protection as people think. Don't get me wrong, on the highway/high speeds they are awesome, but around town riding helmetless can't be beat!

my 2 cents :D

-Chad

·
Registered
543 Posts
No more 1/2 for me.After I was run over and hit the back of my head on the truck rear 1/4 @45,then have my nose and eye socket broke,and teeth driven in lips, and bleeding to death.I would have had no injury to face,if I wore my full face.And I got a pretty face :mad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts