M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah......gonna take a lot of heat on this one....eh what the hell

Clouds dissapeared today and the sun started shining; got the bike out for a short spin around the hills here in Sussex County. Toolin around taken in the sights, everything is good. Decide to head for home and while on a straight road just cruzin not changing gears or turn signals or anything the engine dies, I mean I'm twisting the throttle and nothing.....I'm coasting, did I mention very quiet when you coast. Finally come to a stop, put her in neutral and hit the start button.....nothing. I got lights the horn works; battery ain't the problem, then I notice it says "chec " where the odometer is and I'm thinkin what the hell does that mean. Oh did I mention that the bike is maybe a month old and just about a thousand miles now; just had the 600 mile service done last week and now this. It says "chec" hmmmm I call the house and tell my kids to find that manual that came with the bike..it's very important I'm broke down and I don't know what the hell "chec" means, I tell them where to look and of course they can't find it. AGHHHH!! Tell them to keep looking and call me as soon as they find it; now I'm thinkin about five miles from the house I sure as hell can't push it home especially with asthma, so I light up another cigarette and call my ridin buddy and tell him the details of my current situation, he's a Harley guy so I figure he's got a lot of experience breaking down and such. The boys call and they found the book and my buddy picks it up on the way to my rescue. Ten minutes later we're checking fuses, nice little tool kit buy the way and great idea with those extra fuses included. Anyway fuses are good and that massive troubleshooting guide in the manual,,,,yeah a whole two pages maybe didn't help one iota. Cigarette time again and I say let's disconnect the battery and reset the computer chip....don't know if there is one but think I read that somewhere...anyway at this time my buddy asks what this switch is and I say that's the kill switch and OMG....It's in the kill position....switch it off....hit the starter and vrrooooom she's purrin like a kitten........OOOPS

·
Registered
516 Posts
scaramooch said:
Yeah......gonna take a lot of heat on this one....eh what the hell

Clouds dissapeared today and the sun started shining; got the bike out for a short spin around the hills here in Sussex County. Toolin around taken in the sights, everything is good. Decide to head for home and while on a straight road just cruzin not changing gears or turn signals or anything the engine dies, I mean I'm twisting the throttle and nothing.....I'm coasting, did I mention very quiet when you coast. Finally come to a stop, put her in neutral and hit the start button.....nothing. I got lights the horn works; battery ain't the problem, then I notice it says "chec " where the odometer is and I'm thinkin what the hell does that mean. Oh did I mention that the bike is maybe a month old and just about a thousand miles now; just had the 600 mile service done last week and now this. It says "chec" hmmmm I call the house and tell my kids to find that manual that came with the bike..it's very important I'm broke down and I don't know what the hell "chec" means, I tell them where to look and of course they can't find it. AGHHHH!! Tell them to keep looking and call me as soon as they find it; now I'm thinkin about five miles from the house I sure as hell can't push it home especially with asthma, so I light up another cigarette and call my ridin buddy and tell him the details of my current situation, he's a Harley guy so I figure he's got a lot of experience breaking down and such. The boys call and they found the book and my buddy picks it up on the way to my rescue. Ten minutes later we're checking fuses, nice little tool kit buy the way and great idea with those extra fuses included. Anyway fuses are good and that massive troubleshooting guide in the manual,,,,yeah a whole two pages maybe didn't help one iota. Cigarette time again and I say let's disconnect the battery and reset the computer chip....don't know if there is one but think I read that somewhere...anyway at this time my buddy asks what this switch is and I say that's the kill switch and OMG....It's in the kill position....switch it off....hit the starter and vrrooooom she's purrin like a kitten........OOOPS
Man that's funny!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Take it in stride. It's probably happened to most of us. +1 for me, right in the middle of an intersection. I found it just about the time I scrambled to the side of the road. And yeah, I felt pretty small right then. Live and learn. I've bumped the bike off three or four times since then and it's always the first place I look now.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
rofl, that's hilarious. it takes a good person to be able to make fun of himself like that too.

oh, and this...

...especially with asthma, so I light up another cigarette...
is my favorite part of the story.

·
Registered
360 Posts
if I didn't use my kill switch all the time , I would probably be there with you . ::)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did the samething. Older bikes would still spin over just not start. I sat on the side of the road trying everything I could think of for what to check. (Bike smarter than I was on that morning at 5:30AM). Picked mine up in the truck and took when on to work. Where someone asked if I had check the kill switch. :eek: :eek: :eek: dear in the head light look and feeling. Still hearing about that one. By the way been riding bikes for over 40 years now, but before my 06 my newest bike had been a 1987, and none of them said to check anything. :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
:joke: that's pricelss!! Why is it that experianced riders never check that damn kill switch? I play practical jokes on riders from work: when I leave for the day, I will hit the kill switch of a couple bikes from guys I know can take a joke. The next day or so I always hear about how they thought they had major problems and were calling for an emergency ride until they check that damned switch. Makes me laugh every time.

I am impressed with your story telling skills.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I dont take the tank off to add coolant i went to wal mart and got a funnel with a small hose they sell in the auto section for about 5 bucks.  Just reach in with your finger tips and pop the cork that goes on the reservoir and top her off with the funnel deal works good and is a 2 minute job at most.  Its a little more tricky putting the plug back on the reservoir but i managed and i have pretty big hands.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks for the good laugh this morning I can honestly say I haven't done that yet but I use the kill all the time.. :joke:

·
Registered
210 Posts
scaramooch said:
can't push it home especially with asthma, so I light up another cigarette
Don't worry about the kill switch. We've all done it. :bigthumbsup:

About the quote. :eek:

Take care of yourself!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure of the kill switch...but I did turn off my gas once...I fired up the bike and away I went...never thought I'd run out of gas...found out about it when my friend brought me a gallon of gas and I went to pull out the choke...duh...(I still hear about it and that was over a year ago!). Gotta love it...you're not alone!

Devilish

·
Registered
443 Posts
I did the same thing many years ago. I just had a custom paint job done on my 500 Interceptor. I finished putting the bike back together and couldn't start it! :verymad: After taking the bike apart and checking everything under the sun, KILL SWITCH!! :yikes: :edit: Anyway, Shyt happens! :D :joke:

·
Registered
134 Posts
DevilishEyes109 said:
I haven't had the pleasure of the kill switch...but I did turn off my gas once...I fired up the bike and away I went...never thought I'd run out of gas...found out about it when my friend brought me a gallon of gas and I went to pull out the choke...duh...(I still hear about it and that was over a year ago!). Gotta love it...you're not alone!

Devilish
Devilish, back on my old bikes with off/run/reserve, I had a sticker on the tank near the gas cap. Turn on the gas stupid!. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I did the same thing.... minus the stopping and all that. I was cruising along at about 55 or 60 and had an itch on my left shoulder, so I reached with my right hand. Apparently when I re-grabbed the throttle, I brushed the switch into the off position without realizing it. I twisted the throttle.... and nothing. Noticed the check light, then realized the switch was tripped, while still rolling. Here's the neat (at least to me) thing... All I did was flip the switch back on, and the bike was back running. Did nothing but flip the switch and twist the throttle, and I was on my way. Pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts