M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 with a PC2 and everything else is stock. I only get 126 miles to the tank before the light comes on with 4.2 gallons of gas. This doesn't seem right. Everybody else seems to be getting better milage so what am I doing wrong? I don't drive it crazy or anything and I have a cobra exhaust and a set of K&N air filters. If I make those changes will things get worse? I'm open to suggestions and I don't ride to save gas but wow this doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Me too:bigthumbsup: Some get really good, others don't.. I think the furthest I've made it was 140 miles.... But I didn't buy this bike for gas mileage.:D

·
Registered
947 Posts
That sounds about right. Mine usually seems to come on around 115-120. I think I've only gone 140 miles on a tank once and I was sweatin it until that last gas station.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fuel Milage.

Get close to 300 Klicks to the tank before the light comes on.Just lucky I guess. KEZZ. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have made 170 mile before....kept it below 60mph the entire trip....

·
Registered
547 Posts
It all depends on how you ride and how old your gas is. For instance the first tank, with gas from last year, milage was terrible, but if I don't get on it a whole lot with good gas and stay within the speed limit, (sort of) I got to 168 before the first light came on. So I would say it is all in how you drive. My normal every day is 150 to 155 with my riding style. Oh yeah and I do use the high octane gas at the pump.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My best was 42 mpg and that was using shell 91 octane. There is actually a difference when using that nitrogen enriched blend. But my light usually comes on at 130ish if I spend most of the miles on the highway as opposed to interstate or twisty backroads.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not to brag but really wish you guys could buy your gas here.Or get similar prices... I spend about US$0.20 cents to fill my tank. And to fill up the grand cherokee ( 20 gallons) I have to go even higher... US$0.75 cents.... :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
traded for a 08 r2 last year and was getting between 35 and 38 mpg now when it got 2500 miles on her she must be getting broke in cause i got 45.96 mpg the last time i checked. and i dont baby it , but i also dont beat her either! aprox 160 miles on it when the light comes on i use 91 octane gas:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Me too:bigthumbsup: Some get really good, others don't.. I think the furthest I've made it was 140 miles.... But I didn't buy this bike for gas mileage.:D
:agree: between 115-130 seems to be the normal range that people on here say that their light comes on. you can't have your cake and eat it too on these large bikes. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
You guys are going to be screwed on the mid-Atlantic meet rides. Gas stations are at least 150 miles apart. May want to strap an extra fuel can on there somewhere. :D :joke:

I don't think about filling mine up until I have 150+ miles or 2 bars remaining on it. It helps being a grandpa and riding like one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
125 - 130 generally when the light comes on - I know I've got about a gallon left (35 - 40 miles). I ride her like I stole it most of the time. Made it 187 miles once - cruising 80 ++ mph, took 5.169 gallons - on fumes baby. Goldwing I was with took 5.7 gallons :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't think I ride hard but I only get ~140-160 on a tankful, and my light comes on around 115.

My second tankful I thought I could easily make it another 20-25 miles when the light came on, based on what I saw and read in the manual. I ran out at 160, got lucky refired and coasted to a gas station about a mile down the road :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Shell V-Power I get 176 miles before the light comes on. Thats a few high RPM rips and 50mph riding. Of course the more I "enjoy" myself the faster it drinks.
:agree:Funny you should point that out.;) We don't have Shell around here, but I have been able to use it a few times when I'm out and about and I do have to give them their props on their gas:clap2:
These bikes love that fuel! I would say that's the best stuff that can be run through this bikes from a mass distribution station:bigthumbsup:

Doesn't really get any better gas mileage, but runs a heck of a lot smoother and has some power behind it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
126 miles to the tank before the light comes on
I think the furthest I've made it was 140 miles
Mine usually seems to come on around 115-120.
I usually get 90-100 miles
my light usually comes on at 130ish
between 115-130 seems to be the normal range
125 - 130 generally when the light comes on
damn..I get about 80-100 and the gas light is on..
:eek:........WTH?.......Man you guys are making me feel good. My first light doesn't ususally come on until around 150-160 miles. I'll ride about 170-180 miles per tank on most occasions. The lowest I've ever gotten was the light coming on at around 135 miles and that was with me riding very hard, fast & aggressively up in the mountains for a whole afternoon.

But I haven't really done much in the way of performance mods. I only have K&N replacement filters/Ducks intake and the Cobra FI2000 (left at the standard setting). I just haven't seen the need to adjust the controller because it's got plenty of power as is and my fuel economy is fine, actually it's great according to all these posts.

I always run 93 octane in it. 91 is not even available down here. It's either 87, 89 or 93 so I always use 93.

But I didn't buy the bike for fuel economy either just like The Huff said. It's just for fun to ride, but I'd be wondering whats wrong with my setup if I'm only getting 90-120 miles per tank. Your blowing alot of excess & unburnt gas out the tailpipe and running much too rich in that case IMO.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I always run 93 octane in it. 91 is not even available down here. It's either 87, 89 or 93 so I always use 93.

But I didn't buy the bike for fuel economy either just like The Huff said. It's just for fun to ride, but I'd be wondering whats wrong with my setup if I'm only getting 90-120 miles per tank. Your blowing alot of excess & unburnt gas out the tailpipe and running much too rich in that case IMO.
Ding, Ding Ding....Winner:bigthumbsup: To some degree that's what's happening to me. A member on here has offered to help with my map and I plan on taking him up on that soon. People have told me when they are behind me I get a small puff of black smoke every once in a while, so I am running rich;) (Most the time, other riders ride behind me since I have the red one and they don't want to get in my way while they are trying to get the other colors moving forward.:D) Now that's been cleared up, I also ALWAYS use 93 too.:bigthumbsup: and I never let my tank run out of gas or low. Once the first bar goes off I fill her up.:doorag:

Some of these bikes run rich, just the nature of the beast.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts