M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who make the one piece fork tube covers and will i still beable to use my Vstream with them

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Contact Meancycles for purchase

SUMO-X makes it. http://www.sumo-x.com/SuzukiM109R/OtherComponents/tabid/97/Default.aspx

I don't know about the windshield question tho... Sorry.
Hink is right about this. As far as I know Sumo-X is the manufacturer of the one piece fork tube covers. I have a set on order now with MeanCycles. They should be getting their order in from Sumo-X within the next couple of weeks. Price for the chrome set from MeanCycles is $439.00. If you try to buy them direct from Sumo-X they will cost a lot more, as they are trying to allow their distributors to deal with the sales, so they can focus more on manufacturing and production. I spoke with the owner of Sumo-X directly a few weeks ago, and those were his exact words. XChoppers also sells them. His price is slightly less then MeanCycles, but he is out on the west coast. So, depending on where you are located, you may want to contact the distributor closest to you.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Hink is right about this. As far as I know Sumo-X is the manufacturer of the one piece fork tube covers. I have a set on order now with MeanCycles. They should be getting their order in from Sumo-X within the next couple of weeks. Price for the chrome set from MeanCycles is $439.00. If you try to buy them direct from Sumo-X they will cost a lot more, as they are trying to allow their distributors to deal with the sales, so they can focus more on manufacturing and production. I spoke with the owner of Sumo-X directly a few weeks ago, and those were his exact words. XChoppers also sells them. His price is slightly less then MeanCycles, but he is out on the west coast. So, depending on where you are located, you may want to contact the distributor closest to you.
Great answer my friend... :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
You won't be able to use your V-Stream with the one piece covers. The clamps barely open enough to go around the fork tubes, and I'm positive they won't go around the fat fork tubes. You could do the two piece fork covers and just use the lowers.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Can't you have the clamps modded to fit the One Piece Fork Covers?

You won't be able to use your V-Stream with the one piece covers. The clamps barely open enough to go around the fork tubes, and I'm positive they won't go around the fat fork tubes. You could do the two piece fork covers and just use the lowers.
Zoom, with all the mods that has either been seen or discussed on this forum for the 9, don't you think it would be possible to modify the clamps of the V-Stream windscreen so they will fit over that certain part of the One Piece Sumo-X Fork Covers? I looked for a very long time before deciding on and ordering the Sumo-X Fork Covers. I finally realized that there is not any other Fork Covers for the 9 that look better than the Sumo-X One Piece Fork Covers. I don't think the bike would look very good with only the lower Fork Cover installed, just to have the V-Stream windscreen on the bike...although I realize that the V-Stream serves a purpose. If I were in his shoes, and I had to make the choice I would certainly chose the Sumo-X Fork Covers, and leave the V-Stream windscreen off the bike if I couldn't find someone that could modify the clamps to fit. JMHO.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Zoom, with all the mods that has either been seen or discussed on this forum for the 9, don't you think it would be possible to modify the clamps of the V-Stream windscreen so they will fit over that certain part of the One Piece Sumo-X Fork Covers? I looked for a very long time before deciding on and ordering the Sumo-X Fork Covers. I finally realized that there is not any other Fork Covers for the 9 that look better than the Sumo-X One Piece Fork Covers. I don't think the bike would look very good with only the lower Fork Cover installed, just to have the V-Stream windscreen on the bike...although I realize that the V-Stream serves a purpose. If I were in his shoes, and I had to make the choice I would certainly chose the Sumo-X Fork Covers, and leave the V-Stream windscreen off the bike if I couldn't find someone that could modify the clamps to fit. JMHO.
It's easy to do away with the lower mount and attach the shield directly tot he headlight nacelle, I've done that on mine. The top one would be a problem. The clamps wrap all the way around the fork tubes and they won't open up enough to strap them to the outside of the fat tubes. Plus they are a light gray painted metal, so unless they were chromed they wouldn't look good IMHO.

And they are stiff so the windshield is stable, and if you just made a bracket to somehow connect the top somewhere I'm afraid the shield would move around a lot. Maybe a set of bar mounted brackets could be modified to fit, or the upper bracket chromed and enough of the fat tubes cut off to install them above them.

I fabricate a lot of stuff, and to me it would be a choice of one over the other. I'd rather have the fat tubes myself. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a question? How hard are the one piece covers to install. I have not been able to find instructions but I see that yall have ordered a set and yall should know by now.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I have a question? How hard are the one piece covers to install. I have not been able to find instructions but I see that yall have ordered a set and yall should know by now.
Without getting into specific details..... Remove front calipers, remove front wheel, remove front fender, remove headlight assy, lossen pinch bolts on upper and lower trees and slide fork tube out.. Slide cover over fork tube and reverse order.. Torque everthing to spec..

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Without getting into specific details..... Remove front calipers, remove front wheel, remove front fender, remove headlight assy, lossen pinch bolts on upper and lower trees and slide fork tube out.. Slide cover over fork tube and reverse order.. Torque everthing to spec..
my next mod! thanks for the instructions!! Glad to see you still have the bike!

·
Registered
459 Posts
:agree::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ditto to CRUZNB & Zoom,

I have the Sumo-X tube covers on my bike, and found the fit and finish excellent.

If you have the extra cash, you may want to spring for the chromed, over the polished. I also opted for the smaller Laminar brand fly windshield, as I was unwanting to attach other brands to my chromed fork tubes.

My 2 cents.

Wacky

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
And make sure that the measurement of the tubes to the upper tree are equal and to spec.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts