M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you go to the H-D web site you will see that the 2007 V-Rods (witht he exception of the Street Rod) have a 240 rear tire, -- and the Night Rod Super (or something like that) has 120+ HP out of the box.

When you think about it -- this is really no surprise. I don't think that there is much question that Suzuki designed the M109 to eat Harley's lunch -- at least with respect to the V-Rod crowd (who, as we all know, are nor REALLY Harley Guys in the first place).

There is also no question that these guys have their spies -- just like the car designers do. Thus the M109 was not designed to meet where Harley (and other big sport cruisers) have BEEN -- but at where they are GOING.

It is interesting that Harley has preserved the Street Rod with a 180 rear tire -- but about 6-inches of ground clearance and a 40 degree lean angle -- for those in its crowd who like the twisties (and at those of us who are unnerved by scraping our pegs in the turns).

The bottom line is: The real (healthy!) competition will be to be to see how the 109 does against the 2007 V-Rods. In this vein, it is probably not surprising that we can beat the older ones.

I'm just a little disappointed that Suzuki didn't goose-up the '07 M109's a little bit -- to make sure that we keep winning those V-Rod run-offs.

JR: How IS that SUPERCHARGER COMING ALONG!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lamonster said:
Did you really need to start a new thread for that? ::) Let it go Bro. :doorag:
:a20:

G

·
tomph1 said:
If you go to the H-D web site you will see that the 2007 V-Rods (witht he exception of the Street Rod) have a 240 rear tire, -- and the Night Rod Super (or something like that) has 120+ HP out of the box.

When you think about it -- this is really no surprise. I don't think that there is much question that Suzuki designed the M109 to eat Harley's lunch -- at least with respect to the V-Rod crowd (who, as we all know, are nor REALLY Harley Guys in the first place).

There is also no question that these guys have their spies -- just like the car designers do. Thus the M109 was not designed to meet where Harley (and other big sport cruisers) have BEEN -- but at where they are GOING.

It is interesting that Harley has preserved the Street Rod with a 180 rear tire -- but about 6-inches of ground clearance and a 40 degree lean angle -- for those in its crowd who like the twisties (and at those of us who are unnerved by scraping our pegs in the turns).

The bottom line is: The real (healthy!) competition will be to be to see how the 109 does against the 2007 V-Rods. In this vein, it is probably not surprising that we can beat the older ones.

I'm just a little disappointed that Suzuki didn't goose-up the '07 M109's a little bit -- to make sure that we keep winning those V-Rod run-offs.

JR: How IS that SUPERCHARGER COMING ALONG!
Sounds like you want a vrod. :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may sound like I take this REALLY seriously. I don't.

I do think that if you pick a bike based largely on its performance, it's nice to know that it's at the top of the heap. I think it has pretty much been agreed that the Rocket III is probably the league-leader when it comes to all-out speed -- so maybe this is a moot point.

I had posted in an earlier thread that it looked like the Harley designers were chasing the M109. When I though about it a little more, I realized that ALL vehicle manufacturers pitch their next product at where they think the vehicle market is going -- whether those vehicles have four wheels or two. And all of these guys are pretty well informed. Marketing is ALL about market share, and if you can pick up a little from your competitors, your company's stock goes up, and everybody's happy.

As far as "brand loyalty" and all that rot is concerned: I voted with my feet when I bought the M109 -- From a strictly financial perspective I could had the Sreamin' Eagle V-Rod if I had wanted to. I have a H-D full face helmet, which I bought because it fits me right, and the fact that it says "H-D" on the side is no big deal to me either way.

Lamont: Was this "worth" a new thread? Based on the response -- I guess not. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts