M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember how I had the fuel filter changed a couple months ago? Well I'm cruising for hyway 191 in Arizona and my bike starts bogging down again, its 150 miles out from midland and it also starts to rain ( more good news ). Then just as sudden the bike starts to run fine again. Ok I say its just a one time thing and keep going. Right before El Paso ( 300 miles into the trip ) it happens again. This time I limp into a gas station and fill up the tank, what can I do?, and for some reason it starts to run fine again. Ok, I say once more it's still a salvageable trip and push on. I figger if it all goes bad later and I have to trailer the bike with a call home then I still got some riding done.

Everything goes fine now all the way to deming, stay the nite in a motel and push on again sat morning. We ( there are 6 of us ) ride thru Hillsboro on our way to silver city and one of our guys takes a spill. Takes a turn too fast and falls off into a small 20-25 foot ravine. He's bruised a bit but is ok. his bike is a close total, insurance company will have the last word on that. He gets a lift from the wrecker to a rental, gets a car and is on the way home.

Ok, the remaining five push on again and make Clifton, the start of the run on 191. Guess what, my bike wont do 2500 rpm. Man, this not good. I just replaced that fuel filter, is that it AGAIN? Well, I tell the guys I have been reading up on how to change the fuel filter on this great forum of 109 riders. One guys says, do you have a fuel filter? Of course I don't but have confidence that if we take of the tank, remove the fuel pump and clean the filter we have a good chance I can make the rest of the trip.

So I don't make this post any longer I will get to the end , we ( amateurs ) remove the tank, clean the filter and put it back together in 30 mins or so and start the bike, do 191, and have a great time.

It sounds like a pretty bad trip but I dont see it that way. Our friend is OK, he might get a new bike and I have the forum to thank for a successful trip. Were it not for the forum I would not have known what to do to get my bike going. Harley riders make good assistants and can follow direction well and I have more confidence in my bike, and myself ( 191 is a challenge ).

:a18:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Glad it all turned out good for ya

i WILL GET A SPARE FILTER AND MAKE SURE i HAVE THE TOOLS IN MY BACKPACK FOR A FILTER CHANGE IF NEEDED!!oops cap lock, sorry

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I just passed 12,500 miles on my stock filter, mine isn't giving me any problems but I just ordered a filter from my stealer yesterday in preparation for the Vegas meet, I'll be doing 2500 to 3500 miles that week so better safe than sorry:dontknow:.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have been having some fuel filter issues this last week. I have an extra and will be replacing it but I have noticed a couple of things that might help out if you start experiencing problems like I did 90 miles from home at a 100+ degrees. 1. It seems to be exaserbated by heat... I am guessing that it has to do with the properties of ethanol gas in a hot gas tank... I have found that stoping the bike opening the gas tank and letting it breathe can help get you back on the road... but nothing lasts forever... you might have to do it periodically. 2. Fill your tank... it seems that it happens less on a full tank... this could also be because the gas you put in is going to be colder. I noticed the last time I had a problem that 100%gas does not seem to be as prone to the problem... but once the filter starts to go there is only one sure fire cure... a new filter... not a hard job at all.

I am not saying I am right about this only that it seems to be true and hopefully if you are stuck with a choking bogging bike you wont give up in frustration on the side of the road but instead, knowing these things, hopefully will help get you home.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
It's great that you could fix it on the road, that can't be too easy and not worry about scratching the tank.

I changed mine at 18,000 miles and it still didn't look too bad. I stuck the hose on it that runs to the slosh box and you could blow through it easy too. Must be some really bad gas in some places.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I currently have a bit over 26 K on my 9 on the stock filter....guess I will just have to finally order one and just carry it around for another 3 years :dontknow:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i WILL GET A SPARE FILTER AND MAKE SURE i HAVE THE TOOLS IN MY BACKPACK FOR A FILTER CHANGE IF NEEDED!!oops cap lock, sorry
Nemo,

Good idea. will order mine tomorrow. I did check my clutch cable before starting the trip. I have that and take it with me everywhere.:super:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just passed 12,500 miles on my stock filter, mine isn't giving me any problems but I just ordered a filter from my stealer yesterday in preparation for the Vegas meet, I'll be doing 2500 to 3500 miles that week so better safe than sorry:dontknow:.
Yeaup,

Better safe than sorry. I have got to figure out why gas is so bad here. I only use premium, could it be its old and dirtier? I was told by a mechanic that regular would be just as good. Hmmmm... don't know.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been having some fuel filter issues this last week. I have an extra and will be replacing it but I have noticed a couple of things that might help out if you start experiencing problems like I did 90 miles from home at a 100+ degrees. 1. It seems to be exaserbated by heat... I am guessing that it has to do with the properties of ethanol gas in a hot gas tank... I have found that stoping the bike opening the gas tank and letting it breathe can help get you back on the road... but nothing lasts forever... you might have to do it periodically. 2. Fill your tank... it seems that it happens less on a full tank... this could also be because the gas you put in is going to be colder. I noticed the last time I had a problem that 100%gas does not seem to be as prone to the problem... but once the filter starts to go there is only one sure fire cure... a new filter... not a hard job at all.

I am not saying I am right about this only that it seems to be true and hopefully if you are stuck with a choking bogging bike you wont give up in frustration on the side of the road but instead, knowing these things, hopefully will help get you home.
Reydge,

Both times it starting running bad I had a shower that cooled the tank/gas/bike or I refueled and it started going again. You may be right, heat really seems to exacerbate the problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's great that you could fix it on the road, that can't be too easy and not worry about scratching the tank.

I changed mine at 18,000 miles and it still didn't look too bad. I stuck the hose on it that runs to the slosh box and you could blow through it easy too. Must be some really bad gas in some places.
Zoom,

I carry a sixpac of harley riders to help me with such things. :joke:
Their jobs are to one holds the tank, another rinses/sloshes out the sediment from the tank, another buys the needs fuel additives we used to flush the filter and if any are left over they make sure we are not troubled as we work.:joke:
:super:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
another rinses/sloshes out the sediment from the tank,
Did you actually have visible sediment in your tank? Mine at 18,000 was clean as a pin inside. Maybe some of the stations in your area have some old inground tanks that are starting to rust? The pumps should have filters on them, but they need to maintain them.

Don't go for the regular gas either. It might be fresher since more of it is sold, but you need at least 91 octane in this bike. I run 93 in mine all the time and it will still ping on a heavy pull occasionally.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just changed mine at 29K and it was as black as outer space - no wonder the bike would not idle. All is well now and the bike idles at 900. However, beware if the new filter is really tight at the fitting you can bust the fitting without a lot of pressure. Keep a tube of Seal All close at hand just in case.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you actually have visible sediment in your tank? Mine at 18,000 was clean as a pin inside. Maybe some of the stations in your area have some old inground tanks that are starting to rust? The pumps should have filters on them, but they need to maintain them.

Don't go for the regular gas either. It might be fresher since more of it is sold, but you need at least 91 octane in this bike. I run 93 in mine all the time and it will still ping on a heavy pull occasionally.
Zoom,

I actually had some sediment in the tank. This also the second time the tank comes off for a clogged filter. I wonder if there is someway to filter the gas before it goes in my tank. I guess I could carry around a gas can with some sort of built in filter but that would be such a hassle.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
If there was a way to install a fine mesh screen in the tank inlet, that might help. But since the cap sits inside the tank I'm not sure how you would hold it in place. Lots of yard equipment have screens on the tanks.

If the sediment is large pieces it wouldn't go into the filter anyway, the perforated plastic layer on the outside of the filter would stop it first. Anything smaller also probably wouldn't be caught with just a mesh inlet screen. Maybe wrap the filter in a couple layers of gauze before installing it? Might be worth a try if you have really bad fuel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If there was a way to install a fine mesh screen in the tank inlet, that might help. But since the cap sits inside the tank I'm not sure how you would hold it in place. Lots of yard equipment have screens on the tanks.

If the sediment is large pieces it wouldn't go into the filter anyway, the perforated plastic layer on the outside of the filter would stop it first. Anything smaller also probably wouldn't be caught with just a mesh inlet screen. Maybe wrap the filter in a couple layers of gauze before installing it? Might be worth a try if you have really bad fuel.
Yes,

Some sort of screen should do the job. For now I will use a baby sock ver the end of the gas hose. I will try it this afternoon. I'm not sure it will work cause the gas hose has some sort of vacuum hole or something that senses the gas as it fills the tank. With the sock over the end of the hose it may trick it into thinking the gas pump should cut off.
Well anyway we will see.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yes,

Some sort of screen should do the job. For now I will use a baby sock ver the end of the gas hose. I will try it this afternoon. I'm not sure it will work cause the gas hose has some sort of vacuum hole or something that senses the gas as it fills the tank. With the sock over the end of the hose it may trick it into thinking the gas pump should cut off.
Well anyway we will see.
:yikes::yikes: Please keep us updated on this idea!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
So what is to say that just removing the filter and cleaning it was really the problem?

I mean several times it screwed up and then started working again for awhile. If the filter is plugged, it is plugged. If you just recently changed the filter, then I don't think you fixed it yet, it was just purely coincidental

BTW, 35,000 miles on the stock filter and still working fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have removed and replaced my old filter. We're running better now.I was wondering if anyone has come up with an effective means of cleaning the old fileter so it can be re-used--at least as a spare?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I have removed and replaced my old filter. We're running better now.I was wondering if anyone has come up with an effective means of cleaning the old fileter so it can be re-used--at least as a spare?
I soaked mine in a tray of gasoline with a couple ounces of Seafoam added to it. I just swished it around a little and you could see the black residue coming out of the filter. It ended up looking almost as good as new. I was afraid using the Seafoam straight may dissolve the plastic.

Mine wasn't really clogged though. It had 18k miles on it and I did it for preventative maintenance. It was a little black looking, but you could put a hose on it and blow through it with no resistance at all. I think the black comes from the rubber parts of the pump that are in the fuel.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
When changing my filter the rubber slosh boot got my fingers black. I just wiped it clean with paper towel. The manual says it is ok to run 10% ethanol but could some gas companies be adding more causing the rubber to break down? :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts