M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All;

In 1991 California passed a helmet law and I, who had been riding bucket free since 1962 decided, after two hard chases by the local constabulary, I was too old for this drama and sold the bike to my landlord and basically hung it up; never to ride again...never say never.

Fast forward...and last year I found myself spending more and more time noticing folks riding bikes, but still didn't feel the strong urge to ride.

Then in 2006, I really began to feel the pull to ride -- it's almost a physical sensation I felt the need to ride again.

So, I bit the bullet, settled on the smallest DOT bucket allowed and started looking at what was out there; finally settling on the M109 -- a serious upgrade from my last mid sized HD, but at my age a shaft drive is the only way to go.

Honestly, after 15 years out of the saddle, I was a little tense about being about being able to deal with this much bike.

But I picked up my 109 this past Friday and after about six blocks on the road it was like I hadn't forgotten anything -- yes, it's a little tricky getting used to finding the comfortable foot postions on the forward pegs, but the bike is smooth, stable and I kinda like the solid thunk shifting between 1st and 2nd -- it's a sound I remember from other bikes I've had.

If I have one complaint -- and doesn't everyone -- it's the turn signals, would it have been that hard to make them automatically reset after a turn is completed? I know the facile answer is, "Who uses turn siganls?", but with this much tiime away and this much bike under me, I'm pretty much being a citizen -- and having to spend time flickiing a turn signal back to off is annoying when I'm trying to deal with all the other stuff coming at me.

Well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ive gotten used to the turn signals. i just keep my thumb on it through the turn. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
you'll know me if you ever see me; i'm the guy in the left lane, going 80, left turn signal on. ( on since i got on the interstate 20 miles back)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome 4thrider,there's tons of good info and mostly great people here.When your not riding you'll get hooked readin' all the how to's and mod info. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts