M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can not figure it out is it that the air cleaners do not draw enough air or is it that they draw hot air from around the jugs. the more i look at the air cleaners the more i think that if the stock air box was opened around the edges and a screen placed over the openings (only on the black plastic would you open up some holes) would it be the same as a big air. I'm not trashing the big air but i do like the stock look. i know i know thats the same thing i said about lowering it to. decisions

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Navy Guy said:
i can not figure it out is it that the air cleaners do not draw enough air or is it that they draw hot air from around the jugs. the more i look at the air cleaners the more i think that if the stock air box was opened around the edges and a screen placed over the openings (only on the black plastic would you open up some holes) would it be the same as a big air. I'm not trashing the big air but i do like the stock look. i know i know thats the same thing i said about lowering it to. decisions
I have dynoed with the chrome covers off and there was no difference at all. The filter is the main restriction.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't forget to use your brawny paper towel to make sure you get MAXIMUM air flow :joke:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Lamonster said:
I have dynoed with the chrome covers off and there was no difference at all. The filter is the main restriction.
I remember you saying this before, but I think I just now realized what you were saying. You mean you still had the stock airbox and filter installed, just without the chrome cover on it, right? I think the first time I heard you mention it, I thought you were saying you dynoed it with stock filter and without a filter all together and noticed no difference. That's what confused me then...

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
J R said:
The filters themselves like Lamont said are the real restriction.However the heated air coming in off the back of the air cleaner boxes hurts also on the power department quite a bit.Thats why when ya combine more air and cooler air on the 109Â it makes such a noticable difference when people bolt them on and post they can really feel a difference as well as dyno testing results improve.Its well worth the efforrt or money mod on the 109 for power.Thats why when I see some of these guys selling pipes and making claims about power I sometimes wonder if there talking about a comparing a totally stock bike to one with aircleaners and powercomander with there pipe to get the results they claim as I have done ALOTÂ of testing and pretty much know what and how this bike responds to all the simple stuff.The aircleaners are a big deal on this bike. Thats one reason I have never ever posted a post saying this part or that part makes X amount of power its really a combo of them all that adds up and is really unfair to say this part or that was the reason you got X amount of power.I guess the only way to really know is to take a 100% stock bike and dyno it then only have one part at a time added to see the real gain from stock.I have done so.............The aircleaners alone are worth some get up and go on the 109
I can definitely agree on this. I had a chance the other week to run a Mean Streak 1500 that had cone style air cleaners and Cobra pipes. That's all he had on it at the time 'cause he had just removed his nitrous and PCIII so he could sell the bike. He was at the dealer looking at the 109 when I pulled up, and he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride so he could get an idea of the 109's power compared to his bike. He did a short test run on their '07 model, but couldn't see much improvement in the top end over his Mean Streak. I gotta say, I was surprised at how well his MS ran against my bike. It was definitely not the walk in the park I anticipated. I easily jumped him off the line, and pulled a few lengths on him, but then it remained pretty even until he redlined. The 109 didn't just keep walking away from him. We did a couple top gear roll-ons too, and on the first one, I waited 'till he gunned his before I hit mine... well, I never caught him. His bike had impressive top end power for a 1500. If we both hit the roll-on at the same time, I would usually get a bike length lead on him, but that was it. And remember, he was not running a PCIII mapped for his cleaner and pipes. We went back to the dealer, and talked about the bikes. He is impressed with the low end grunt and torque of the 109, but he's still not real sure of the top end power. I'm not sure he's completely sold on the 109. I told him of the power that others here have been getting with air cleaners and pipes with custom maps, which he was receptive to. He said if they had a different color besides white, he would probably trade, but he was probably gonna stick with his MS for a while. He did say I needed to let my bike breathe more, and I definitely agree. I was quite impressed with his bike's power. I feel it would have been even closer had he had the PCIII still installed and mapped, and obviously he would have smoked me if he still had his nitrous kit installed. It was still fun to run another cruiser.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Medic1210 said:
I can definitely agree on this. I had a chance the other week to run a Mean Streak 1500 that had cone style air cleaners and Cobra pipes. That's all he had on it at the time 'cause he had just removed his nitrous and PCIII so he could sell the bike. He was at the dealer looking at the 109 when I pulled up, and he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride so he could get an idea of the 109's power compared to his bike. He did a short test run on their '07 model, but couldn't see much improvement in the top end over his Mean Streak. I gotta say, I was surprised at how well his MS ran against my bike. It was definitely not the walk in the park I anticipated. I easily jumped him off the line, and pulled a few lengths on him, but then it remained pretty even until he redlined. The 109 didn't just keep walking away from him. We did a couple top gear roll-ons too, and on the first one, I waited 'till he gunned his before I hit mine... well, I never caught him. His bike had impressive top end power for a 1500. If we both hit the roll-on at the same time, I would usually get a bike length lead on him, but that was it. And remember, he was not running a PCIII mapped for his cleaner and pipes. We went back to the dealer, and talked about the bikes. He is impressed with the low end grunt and torque of the 109, but he's still not real sure of the top end power. I'm not sure he's completely sold on the 109. I told him of the power that others here have been getting with air cleaners and pipes with custom maps, which he was receptive to. He said if they had a different color besides white, he would probably trade, but he was probably gonna stick with his MS for a while.  He did say I needed to let my bike breathe more, and I definitely agree. I was quite impressed with his bike's power. I feel it would have been even closer had he had the PCIII still installed and mapped, and obviously he would have smoked me if he still had his nitrous kit installed. It was still fun to run another cruiser.
Medic... my riding buddy here just bought a highly customized 1600 Mean streak with PCIII, Air intake and pipes...
It is a very fast bike. We both got on it from a left hand turn onto the highway (He was in front of me), and I was all the way into the throttle to catch up to him. I would say I was probably about 90mph before I finally caught him and wasn't making up ground that fast.... For reference/perspective I ran fairly consistent 12.25 quarters on my bike at the track.

I am pretty certain he would take a stock 109.

G

·
Medic1210 said:
I can definitely agree on this. I had a chance the other week to run a Mean Streak 1500 that had cone style air cleaners and Cobra pipes. That's all he had on it at the time 'cause he had just removed his nitrous and PCIII so he could sell the bike. He was at the dealer looking at the 109 when I pulled up, and he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride so he could get an idea of the 109's power compared to his bike. He did a short test run on their '07 model, but couldn't see much improvement in the top end over his Mean Streak. I gotta say, I was surprised at how well his MS ran against my bike. It was definitely not the walk in the park I anticipated. I easily jumped him off the line, and pulled a few lengths on him, but then it remained pretty even until he redlined. The 109 didn't just keep walking away from him. We did a couple top gear roll-ons too, and on the first one, I waited 'till he gunned his before I hit mine... well, I never caught him. His bike had impressive top end power for a 1500. If we both hit the roll-on at the same time, I would usually get a bike length lead on him, but that was it. And remember, he was not running a PCIII mapped for his cleaner and pipes. We went back to the dealer, and talked about the bikes. He is impressed with the low end grunt and torque of the 109, but he's still not real sure of the top end power. I'm not sure he's completely sold on the 109. I told him of the power that others here have been getting with air cleaners and pipes with custom maps, which he was receptive to. He said if they had a different color besides white, he would probably trade, but he was probably gonna stick with his MS for a while.  He did say I needed to let my bike breathe more, and I definitely agree. I was quite impressed with his bike's power. I feel it would have been even closer had he had the PCIII still installed and mapped, and obviously he would have smoked me if he still had his nitrous kit installed. It was still fun to run another cruiser.
If that Mean Streak has the Thunder Big bore Kit on it it will be around 110 HP and 90 lbs of torque at about 60 or 70 lbs lighter!

TAZ

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
raw_taz said:
If that Mean Streak has the Thunder Big bore Kit on it it will be around 110 HP and 90 lbs of torque at about 60 or 70 lbs lighter!

TAZ
He didn't mention having that kit. He only said it had the intake and pipes. He had a PCIII and Nitrous, but had removed it in anticipation of selling/trading it for a 109. Don't know why he would lie about it since it was just so he could gague how the 109's power was compared to the bike he already had.

·
Registered
702 Posts
J R said:
.......Im guessing my JR pipe makes 300 h.p extra h.p ::) course I wont mention the nitrous/turbo and all that ya have to have to get that h.p...Ill just say im guessing based on my expirence that my pipe should make 300 more h.p. and ill leave out the other small details as tho my pipe is the sole reason for the power if there was any ::) Guessing LOL ::) Later guys enjoy them aircleners they do work good and are a first step in power :bigthumbsup: The big air,s work :bigthumbsup: I recomend them highly :doorag: :super: :bigthumbsup:
:p lol

That is pure m109 board entertainment.

The mean streak discussion is good too, as long as we're talking pure speed. Since the 109 is a better LOOKING bike, it's good to have that competition to help us get our running as strong.

Thanks to all contributors so far regarding the importance of the air cleaner element and its placement on the bike...... :read:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am gonna call shenanigans on the "stock motored" mean streak running with the 109. We all know how that goes....stock, sure my busa was stock appearing with stock exhaust till I raced you on your zx14 and was dead even and then swore up and down it was stock but not telling you it has a ported head and pistons and different cams and did 175hp at the rear wheel! So I am just saying no one shows all their cards.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
RedHed said:
I am gonna call shenanigans on the "stock motored" mean streak running with the 109. We all know how that goes....stock, sure my busa was stock appearing with stock exhaust till I raced you on your zx14 and was dead even and then swore up and down it was stock but not telling you it has a ported head and pistons and different cams and did 175hp at the rear wheel! So I am just saying no one shows all their cards.
That may be the case... but the fact that we weren't racing to win gives me no reason to doubt him. We were only racing to give him an idea of how the 109 stood against the Mean Streak so he could decide if he was ready to step up to the 9. He had absolutely nothing to gain by not mentioning what he had on his bike. The store owner knew him and his bike quite well, and only mentioned his running nitrous at one point. Besides, where in my post did you get that he beat me? The only time he pulled ahead and stayed ahead was when we did a top gear roll on. I didn't know what to expect, so I figured I would give him the jump and just easily walk him down. Well, I gave him the jump, but the walking him down part never happened. Obviously, the 109 has longer legs, and had we kept on it, I would have eventually walked him down because his bike's top speed isn't what the 109 is. Also, had I shifted down to 4th and ran to redline and then back into 5th, it may have been a different story, but that isn't how it happened. When we did the second top gear rol-on, I hit it at the same time he did and pulled a length or two ahead and stayed there. I backed off at 125 cause we were on a 2 lane public road, plus I didn't want to get busted by :cop: I had my heart jump when a black Impala pulled to a stop on a side road just before we flew by. I just knew it was one of our local unmarked Troopers. Luckily it wasn't.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I'm with GTBozak,
These threads rock. All this talk about air cleaners, HP, pipes, PCIII, etc. is one of the reasons I love bikes, and this board.
I have none of those things, but I will sometime soon.
Keep up the great conversation guys, and don't worry about if the mean streak was stock or not. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Medic1210 said:
That may be the case... but the fact that we weren't racing to win gives me no reason to doubt him. We were only racing to give him an idea of how the 109 stood against the Mean Streak so he could decide if he was ready to step up to the 9. He had absolutely nothing to gain by not mentioning what he had on his bike. The store owner knew him and his bike quite well, and only mentioned his running nitrous at one point. Besides, where in my post did you get that he beat me? The only time he pulled ahead and stayed ahead was when we did a top gear roll on. I didn't know what to expect, so I figured I would give him the jump and just easily walk him down. Well, I gave him the jump, but the walking him down part never happened. Obviously, the 109 has longer legs, and had we kept on it, I would have eventually walked him down because his bike's top speed isn't what the 109 is. Also, had I shifted down to 4th and ran to redline and then back into 5th, it may have been a different story, but that isn't how it happened. When we did the second top gear rol-on, I hit it at the same time he did and pulled a length or two ahead and stayed there. I backed off at 125 cause we were on a 2 lane public road, plus I didn't want to get busted by :cop: I had my heart jump when a black Impala pulled to a stop on a side road just before we flew by. I just knew it was one of our local unmarked Troopers. Luckily it wasn't.
I reread my post and I think you took my story as a simile of your experience with the mean streak. I actually do have the busa that I mentioned and have ran bar to bar with 14's(and kept the secret of the built motor for quite a long time, boy that was fun 8)) so my thinking was the mean streak was doing the same.

G

·
Medic1210 said:
He didn't mention having that kit. He only said it had the intake and pipes. He had a PCIII and Nitrous, but had removed it in anticipation of selling/trading it for a 109. Don't know why he would lie about it since it was just so he could gague how the 109's power was compared to the bike he already had.Â
If he has not had the engine moded, then you have throttle palsy, because a stock mean streak is like racing a stock M50. I think your buddy may be blowing smoke up your kilt.

http://thundermfg.com/store/downloads/dyno/1600meanstreak.gif

This is probably where you buddy is at with the lighter bike. Where are you at because I know Trent at Thunder just delivered and installed a custom built engine in Iowa with approx. 120 at the tire. The engine and that bike was not chasis dynoed but the tricks he put in it are in is race bike.

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/downloads/dyno/410.gif

Just wanted to show you what you are up against there.

TAZ

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
raw_taz said:
If he has not had the engine moded, then you have throttle palsy, because a stock mean streak is like racing a stock M50. I think your buddy may be blowing smoke up your kilt.

http://thundermfg.com/store/downloads/dyno/1600meanstreak.gif

This is probably where you buddy is at with the lighter bike. Where are you at because I know Trent at Thunder just delivered and installed a custom built engine in Iowa with approx. 120 at the tire. The engine and that bike was not chasis dynoed but the tricks he put in it are in is race bike.

Just wanted to show you what you are up against there.

TAZ
I don't know. I can only go by what he told me. Again, he asked me to run him so he could get a better feel for the 9's top end. He took an 07 for a quick spin and knew it had a low of bottom end, but couldn't tell if it had more top end oomph than his Mean Streak. He figured if he ran with a 109 he would be able to better gague it's performance. Remember, he never beat me except for the top end roll on where I let him get a jump on me. I couldn't walk him down. Obviously if we had more straight road, I could have caught him because his MS redlines sooner and has a lower top speed. All other runs, I pulled a couple or few bike lengths ahead and stayed there. I just couldn't continue walking away from him. He did a good job of keeping up once he got rolling good. I have drilled out my baffles, still have stock air, and don't have any fuel management, so I may have leaned out my bike some. :dontknow: I think my bike is just starving for air and more fuel, where his bike has plenty of airflow. Again, I may never know. We both enjoyed the ride, and both enjoyed talking about each other's bikes when we returned to the dealership. After all, that's what it's all about. None of this smoking somebody and then them not saying anything to you at the next light BS.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
RedHed said:
I reread my post and I think you took my story as a simile of your experience with the mean streak. I actually do have the busa that I mentioned and have ran bar to bar with 14's(and kept the secret of the built motor for quite a long time, boy that was fun 8)) so my thinking was the mean streak was doing the same.
I'm not sure what you mean other than you doubt his MS was stock motored. I may never know. I think he'll end up buying a 109 when he sees one in a color he likes. He was not impressed with the white one. Had there been a black or a burgundy one, I would almost bet he would have bought it on the spot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts