M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got caught in a Severe Thunderstorm yesterday evening on the Highway!! You talking about a butt puckering moment!!! I was soaked from head to toe, the only thing that was dry was the seat of my pants LOLl I will say this the 9 handled it well. Has anybody got caught in any really bad weather like that?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have been caught in rain so hard, cars were pulling over, but with no shelter to head for, just had to SLOWLY ride through it.

Last summer, I was caught out in a sudden hail storm. I got hit in the glasses hard enough to give me a black eye. Lucky for me there was a gas station nearby with an awning over the pumps. Cars were pulling in with dented hoods.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I did last month. I was going 60mph and BAM a heavy rain! I could barely
see the car in front of me and could not see the one behind me nor could
I see the side of the road to pull off.:eek:
The rain passed and my bike started sputtering and th FI light came on.
I assume the Fi200R was shorting out. The bike started to run smooth again but I had to stop and restart to get the FI light to go off.
My cell phone was in my wet weather gear pocket but was drenched still. I had to stop at a rest stop, pour the water out of battery compartment ,and held the phone under a hand dryer. After an hour I was totally dry...except the cell phone

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I got caught in a Severe Thunderstorm yesterday evening on the Highway!! You talking about a butt puckering moment!!! I was soaked from head to toe, the only thing that was dry was the seat of my pants LOLl I will say this the 9 handled it well. Has anybody got caught in any really bad weather like that?
The very first day I went riding on my 9 after I bought it I got caught in a downpour. It took my leather jacket and riding boots a week to dry out! Luckily, it was a warm rain so it wasn't terribly uncomfortable, I still hate riding in the rain though....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Last year, while riding home from work, I encountered a severe thunderstorm with high winds. I could see clouds being pushed up the sides of the mountains and as I approached (no shelter around) a gust caught me and the bike and literally lifted me and the bike!:eek: I landed off the road and nearly off a small cliff! I stopped just in time to have the hail storm pelt me hard, and I stayed put until the worst of it passed. Oh, this is the best part, one of NM's finest stopped me and handed me a citation for speeding (trying to outrun the storm soaking wet and only 10 MPH over) and asks me how I'm doing!? Soon there was 5 police cars behind me and one has an arm waving a thumbs up and hollaring "good job". Yeah, I'm not feeling real friendly to the LEO's right now.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see Im not alone, fortunately we all lived to tell about it! The rain from the storm was very dirty too. Got home pulled into the garage wiped her down and detailed her! She was a thing of beauty riding in to work this morning! :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Yeah...300+ miles of it on my way from Ohio to NY a couple of years ago. Not pleasant, but the bike did fine. I had rain gear too...with the right equipment, riding in the rain isn't really all that big a deal. If you stay dry, you stay comfortable, and that's most of the battle right there. Being wet and freezing is a distraction and can get you into trouble quickly...but if that's mostly eliminated, then it's just a matter of getting past the fear factor.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I see Im not alone, fortunately we all lived to tell about it! The rain from the storm was very dirty too. Got home pulled into the garage wiped her down and detailed her! She was a thing of beauty riding in to work this morning! :bigthumbsup:
I think it would be a little hard to hear from the ones that hadn't lived through it. :joke:

There are some crazy storm stories out there. I got caught in some wet weather. Was heading to work. No dryers there but there was an iron and ironing board. Dried my socks and pants that way.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Yeah...300+ miles of it on my way from Ohio to NY a couple of years ago. Not pleasant, but the bike did fine. I had rain gear too...with the right equipment, riding in the rain isn't really all that big a deal. If you stay dry, you stay comfortable, and that's most of the battle right there. Being wet and freezing is a distraction and can get you into trouble quickly...but if that's mostly eliminated, then it's just a matter of getting past the fear factor.
I think the worst part about riding in the rain is having to deal with semis. The visibility is almost cut down to nothing when you get near them due to the spray coming off of their tires. It's also a good idea to keep a freash coat of wax on your helmet's visor so if you do get caught in the rain, it just blows off. Oh yeah, and rain gear is a must.....

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Rainx for the face shield! it's nerve wracking to ride in the rain but the scariest weather I've encountered was in the Washoe Valley, Nev. The wind was so bad I was crabbing and doing everything I could to stay upright. I don't think they allow trucks or trailers on that road

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A couple of years ago at 3DDIM, a bunch of us were out riding and got caught in it. We pulled into a shut down gas station (think it was a mechanic shop by then) under the awning to wait it out. It got down to just cloudy with occassional sprinkles. So, Mike "Rainman" "Busabeater2" has to get out & flip off the clouds & do a dance.

We decided to make a run for it to get back to Eureka Springs....no such luck.
By the time that we were out of the town that we had stopped in, it was raining so hard that the water was hitting the heels of my riding shoes if I rode anywhere except for the crown of the road! We chugged along until it cleared off as there was nowhere else to stop.

About 20-30 miles up the road, it stopped raining & the sky was clear/sunny...so we bumped up the speed & air-dried mostly. I'd like to point out that AlpineStars 101's are not only waterproof from water which is outside, but if you get water running down your legs and into them (yeah, thought that I had wet myself too), they'll fill up with water & it takes forever for them to dry out!

We make fun of Mike quite a bit about being "Rain Man", but I've had MANY rides with him that didn't involve rain. There have also been a few that DID involve rain though...but one was Joel's fault for turning his phone the wrong way to show us "look, the rain is cleared off in the direction that we're riding".....we got SOAKED!!!!!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
A few years ago, I got caught in a monsoon of a rain storm. It was only about a mile in diameter, but I rode right therough the middle of it. I couldn't see the front tire of the bike, that's how hard it was raining. I was riding slow through the downpour, and then I saw the glow of brake lights. I literally missed the rear bumper by 2 inches. Then I hear tires skidding coming from behind me, so I pulled off just on the other side of the white line, just in time to see a car appear where I was just sitting. I wish I could describe the look on that driver's face when she stopped and looked over at me, inches away from the bumper I almost kissed myself. A little bit further, the rain subsided and I got to air-dry all the way to my buddy's house. I was walking around with squuishy-shoe syndrome.

-Josh

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I got caught in Tornado weather once, last year around August 20th in Ontario. The sky turned greenish and a wave of dust and garbage started flying towards me at high speed. It almost knocked me over and the sidewinds were tipping my bike over the moment I put my feet up on the pegs. Very dangerous.

Dont' assume because the bike is heavy and big that it isn't effected by winds!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've ridden 150 miles in a heavy downpour. Not fun. Just had leathers on not rain gear. One other time I got caught in rain for about 60 miles. When I finally got some place I could stop I had to pour the rain out of my cowboy boots. They were full :-[ :nojoke:

The Dunny E 250 was a 100 times better in the rain than the stock 240.

·
Registered
33 Posts
rains like nothing down here in southern Florida in the afternoons. i have not been caught in it yet. but for some reason and i am not making this up, every time i take my bike out it sprinkles or light rains. I have even gone on out days where there were no clouds and still ended up getting peed on by the sky. the day the shop took my bike in (wouldn't start) on a flat bed it poured. just my luck.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
A couple of years ago at 3DDIM, a bunch of us were out riding and got caught in it. We pulled into a shut down gas station (think it was a mechanic shop by then) under the awning to wait it out. It got down to just cloudy with occassional sprinkles. So, Mike "Rainman" "Busabeater2" has to get out & flip off the clouds & do a dance.

We decided to make a run for it to get back to Eureka Springs....no such luck.
By the time that we were out of the town that we had stopped in, it was raining so hard that the water was hitting the heels of my riding shoes if I rode anywhere except for the crown of the road! We chugged along until it cleared off as there was nowhere else to stop.

About 20-30 miles up the road, it stopped raining & the sky was clear/sunny...so we bumped up the speed & air-dried mostly. I'd like to point out that AlpineStars 101's are not only waterproof from water which is outside, but if you get water running down your legs and into them (yeah, thought that I had wet myself too), they'll fill up with water & it takes forever for them to dry out!

We make fun of Mike quite a bit about being "Rain Man", but I've had MANY rides with him that didn't involve rain. There have also been a few that DID involve rain though...but one was Joel's fault for turning his phone the wrong way to show us "look, the rain is cleared off in the direction that we're riding".....we got SOAKED!!!!!
yep same year I was with Rich's group and it was raining hard, lightning all around us. Nothing to do but ride and try to get ahead of it. Gotta say the bike was very stable. We were up to 100mph a few times during that soaking. My buddy had a plastic rainsuit from lowe's and it started tearing off around him and was hanging very close to the rear pipe and wheel. I was afraid it'd get sucked into the wheel so i pulled up next to him at 50 mph and ripped it off cause he couldn't reach around to get it himself. thinking back it was probably a bit dangerous. Ctatyk is right, the puddles were pushing up over our feet in quite a few places in town.

only time i've been in the rain actually

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Once, here in Hawaii....total DOWNPOUR!...in RUSH HOUR! :eek:.

The only part of me not wet was the top of my head due to my brain bucket.

Glad this bike has some weight to it, and a 250 out back don't hurt either. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hey Carlos, I left Memphis last Sept. in the dark and rode all the way back to Benton from midnight to 2:45 am in a constant heavy rain and wind. You know how I-40 is with all the big rigs, I did ok until I exited onto I-440 around the long curve, let me tell you when the front tire hits the metal expansion joint in the bridge it will slide a good six inches to the right, talk about pucker factor, it was at 100%, you could not have driven a nail in there with a 16 pound sledge hammer. I hope I don't get caught again in the dark in that kind of storm. :eek:. That same night one in our group peeled off at Lonoke and hit a deer on Hwy 31, dang what a night.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
the only thing that was dry was the seat of my pants
Carlos, if the seat of your pants was still dry you weren't in a real storm. :D

My wife and I got caught in one not long after I got the bike, so it still had the crappy stock tires on it. It was raining so hard you could see the water running off the road in waves, and it did it for at least 20 miles. Nowhere to pull over, and when I got up there was a puddle of water between my legs. And I'm not sure the puddle was from the rain. :eek:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts