M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting for a friend so we can go for a ride. This old guy comes walking past with his dog and does a double take at my bike. He comes over and we start talking about bikes. He told me that he used to ride in the 40's and 50's till he had an accident and scared him off. As he was leaving, he says, "ya know, I had some great times on my bikes. It's really the only way to fly." That guy was pretty cool.

By the way, this bike loves 90 :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Grandad told me he and my uncle were stopped for speeding one day in uncle Lenny's 67 GP. When the cop asked if he knew why he was stopped Grandad replied " I was speeding" and the cop said "NO, you were flying to low". Man the old days must have rocked :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
702 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
That's why I always take the time to listen to the oldtimers,they allways have some great stories :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
And the stories ususlly make you stop and think about your own life in a different way. I wonder what age that happens at

G

·
You guys have finally started a thread about which "I" am an expert.....Old Guys.

JR and others can tell ya all the technical stuff, but, I lean more on experience and good old common sense.....Not that you younger guys don't have common sense.

I guess the older you get, the more experience you get, although there are some really stupid old guys!..........I'm just trying not to be one of them!

G

·
I always enjoy talking to older gentlemen when they come over to admire either the 109 or the Valk. Almost all of them have a bike related story to tell.

I particularly enjoy the Vets recollecting stories of WWII Harleys they rode etc. I respect them for the freedom they've allowed me to enjoy during my life and, maybe in a small way, I've brightened their day by being an interested listener.

G

·
There's no question you brightened their day by being an interested listener.

Older guys are more used to being ignored or treated like lepers.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
JRs DAD said:
You guys have finally started a thread about which "I" am an expert.....Old Guys.

JR and others can tell ya all the technical stuff, but, I lean more on experience and good old common sense.....Not that you younger guys don't have common sense.

I guess the older you get, the more experience you get, although there are some really stupid old guys!..........I'm just trying not to be one of them!
I guess after walking this rock for 58 years I'm one of those "Old Guys". Like JR's dad, I would have to say life experiences is the best teacher. I like to think that I've kept my eyes "open" my whole life and as such I've acquired some "wisdom". I was a single father who raised three kids on my own. That experience, in itself, thought me to never be condensending when trying to give advice. When we, the old guys, relate some of our histories it is from personal hands-on experiences and we share those with the younger generation to sometimes "keep them alive". When I read some of the posts from the new generation of riders, I smile and chuckle to myself that I did almost the same damn thing years ago! What is amazing about this sight, and it's members, is it's great diversity of fine folks of all ages, from all walks of life and all areas of the country and world for that matter. From the younger guys teaching the older guys how to cope with computer technology to the older guys teaching the younger guys some "wisdom" this board is the equivalent of a "Encyclopedia" with many fine authors contributing to the whole content. Young or old we all are "riders" and all have a appreciation for the exileration cycling provides.

Keep safe and keep the rubber side down :) :) :) :)

G

·
Please don't misunderstandBob, I don't know how to show the post I'm responding to.....so I responded to your name.

There are always posts about the "good old days".....and yet you don't have to be that old, to remember the good old days.

While things have changed a great deal, over the years, I think the greatest changes have taken place in resent years.

I think the biggest changes have been in law enforcement.....the cops who used to take your beer and tell ya they didn't want to see you again that night, now, arrest ya for "buzz" driving, impound your car, and put you in jail, and alter your life.

I know the "quality" of law enforcement has dropped due to increased population and the need for more officers, but, "Serve and Protect" has changed into "Screw and make Pay".....even if the cop did the very same thing, when he was young.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm sure there still some great officers remaning, those who understand, just because you have access to your car keys, doesn't mean you're "gonna" drive and, therefore, guilty of DUI.

I can remember when everybody in the world smoked.....you couldn't watch a movie without the stars (male and female) smoking.....and, yet, now it's really close to a criminal offense.

So, I guess, the bigest changes are related to infringements on our rights.....and laws that enable law enforcement to get money from people who do what they have been doing for alot more years than I've been alive.

<<puts soapbox away>>

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
JRs DAD said:
Please don't misunderstandBob, I don't know how to show the post I'm responding to.....so I responded to your name.

There are always posts about the "good old days".....and yet you don't have to be that old, to remember the good old days.

While things have changed a great deal, over the years, I think the greatest changes have taken place in resent years.

I think the biggest changes have been in law enforcement.....the cops who used to take your beer and tell ya they didn't want to see you again that night, now, arrest ya for "buzz" driving, impound your car, and put you in jail, and alter your life.

I know the "quality" of law enforcement has dropped due to increased population and the need for more officers, but, "Serve and Protect" has changed into "Screw and make Pay".....even if the cop did the very same thing, when he was young.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm sure there still some great officers remaning, those who understand, just because you have access to your car keys, doesn't mean you're "gonna" drive and, therefore, guilty of DUI.

I can remember when everybody in the world smoked.....you couldn't watch a movie without the stars (male and female) smoking.....and, yet, now it's really close to a criminal offense.

So, I guess, the bigest changes are related to infringements on our rights.....and laws that enable law enforcement to get money from people who do what they have been doing for alot more years than I've been alive.

<<puts soapbox away>>
Theres some definate truth in what JR's Dad just said. :doorag:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good posts, sound words. Truth. And since I believe most things have been better said by others before, I'll offer a simple contribution of two quotes I've long liked:

Soren Kierkegaard
Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forewards.

Henri Estienne
If youth knew; if age could.

LG

G

·
LionsGate, enjoyed your quotes.

After my accident the doctors said I had a little dain bramage.....mostly in the memory part.....yet I can remember stuff when I was a kid.....and can't remember somebodys name, less than a minute after we meet.

Regardless, I do enjoy old quotes, which are remembered because they seem to hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
166 Posts
JRs DAD said:

<<puts soapbox away>>
They're not really Cops anymore, there glorified, self serving, egomaniac tax collectors (generalizing of course, there are still a few good ones out there, I just personally don't know where they are) $222 for a 21 mph over the speed limit ticket, do you realize how much gas and beer that would have bought, oh ya, that's probably how there funding their next office party

·
Registered
600 Posts
My favorite quote, now that I am getting old enough to relate to it, I heard my father say... "If I knew I was gonna live this damned long, I would've taken better care of myself!"

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
My favorite quote, now that I am getting old enough to relate to it, I heard my father say... "If I knew I was gonna live this damned long, I would've taken better care of myself!"
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
JRs DAD said:
LionsGate, enjoyed your quotes.

After my accident the doctors said I had a little dain bramage.....mostly in the memory part.....yet I can remember stuff when I was a kid.....and can't remember somebodys name, less than a minute after we meet.

Regardless, I do enjoy old quotes, which are remembered because they seem to hit the nail on the head.
Glad you liked them, Mark. I enjoy the older quotes more, take Henri's down there for example, he wrote that over 500 years ago. It's short and bittersweet, yet runs right to the truth of the matter as much now as back then.

...and I know what you mean about the memory situation, I have brain damage too and it seems to affect short term memory the most.

LG

·
Registered
108 Posts
JRs DAD said:

<<puts soapbox away>>Very good point jrsdad,i am one in my 50's and can 100% relate to every word you say,man have we lost alot of rights,the young cant understand why we get upset at some of this stuff,because most of there adult life those rights have been very quickly disapearing enough that they either dont give a shit or dont notice or worse dont care,but i can tell ya if i ever do get pulled over again,i w3ant it from an older fella and not a young greenhorn..

·
Registered
363 Posts
JRs DAD said:
LionsGate, you are a gentleman and a scholar..........and there are damn few of us left !
LOL...damn straight! Off to find that bottle of single malt, a couple fingers worth. And tonight the doctors can sod off. Slainte Mhath! :bigthumbsup:

LG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts