M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike hit 460 miles so I decided to do the first fluids change (oil/filter/gear).

So I warmed the bike up for about 5 minutes and started draining the engine oil. Having (2) drain plugs was interesting but effective. So I drained the oil (which looked very good) and replaced the oil filter with a nice new one from Suzuki (Put a nut on these things so I don't spend an extra $12 for a filter socket!).

OK, I'm ready to fill'r up with new oil. I decided to run Castrol Tection Plus 15W-40 (meets and exceeds everything except brushing your teeth with it, no floride). Although I did get to taste it (seperate story). Yummie...

I pull out the trusty owners manual and it states "capacity is ABOUT 3.8 quarts with oil filter change". I'm like OK cool.. I'll put 3.2 quarts in and start checking from there. So I put 3.2 quarts in, crank up and let it run for about 3 minutes to circulate the new oil and fill the new filter. Then I add the remaining .5 quarts of oil (only 3.7 in the jug).

Then I let it run again for 10 minutes to make sure the oil is up to temperature. I start checking,,, OK too much,,, take out some, recheck, still too much, take more out.

Well I did this to the point that I removed the .5 quarts that I put in. When they say "ALMOST", they mean nowhere close...

Once it appeared to be correct. I moved to the rear and drained the gear oil. I noticed in the owners manual that they did not specify the gear oil weight. Only the specification was shown (GL-5 I think). I already had plenty of 85W-140 left over from doing this maintenance on my C90T so I used that. It meets the specs.

Overall, this fluids change took almost an hour..

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just did a fluid change last night as well - it took about an hour for me too. I think next time it will go faster. I let the bike idle for 15 minutes > pulled the plugs and filter > put new filter on > reinstalled the plugs. I put 3.2 in > ran the bike for 5 minutes > put another .6 in > ran the bike for 5-10 minutes > shut off bike > placed 2"x4" under kickstand for a more vertical reading > let bike sit for 3-4 minutes > then checked oil level. Oil level was right on :D

Rear gear fluid was a snap, can't get much easier than that.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Delmustator said:
Once it appeared to be correct. I moved to the rear and drained the gear oil. I noticed in the owners manual that they did not specify the gear oil weight. Only the specification was shown (GL-5 I think). I already had plenty of 85W-140 left over from doing this maintenance on my C90T so I used that.
It specifies 90 weight in the manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After getting my 600 mile maint. at the dealership and riding home to blow oil everywhere, I drained the oil when I got home and found they had overfilled by 38oz after telling them not to overfill. Anyway, I measured and refilled with 3.6 without a filter change.

When you said it was showing overfilled at 3.8 with filter and you took some out, were you just touching the stick to the threads and not screwing it in. When I refilled with 3.6 without filter change it was right on full mark.

After warming the bike up for 12 minutes and letting set 3 minutes, I sat on the bike to center and check, I found myself screwing in the stick, then remembered to only touch the threads and not screw in. That gave me a full reading.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ppridgen1 said:
how bad did your rear gear pil look . Mine was silver like the bike but was underfilled ,I do ride really hard so it might just be me! I'm about to do another full fluid change so I'll keep ya posted on the final drive situation :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Mine was pretty dark. I think they may use some sort of break-in gear oil cuz it all looks the same.
The Valveoline 85W-140 was nice and gold looking.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigBubba said:
After getting my 600 mile maint. at the dealership and riding home to blow oil everywhere, I drained the oil when I got home and found they had overfilled by 38oz after telling them not to overfill. Anyway, I measured and refilled with 3.6 without a filter change.

When you said it was showing overfilled at 3.8 with filter and you took some out, were you just touching the stick to the threads and not screwing it in. When I refilled with 3.6 without filter change it was right on full mark.

After warming the bike up for 12 minutes and letting set 3 minutes, I sat on the bike to center and check, I found myself screwing in the stick, then remembered to only touch the threads and not screw in. That gave me a full reading.
It was way over the L-H marks with the bike sitting level with the stick NOT screwed in. I'm going to check it again before I ride just to make sure.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanted said:
Hope you don't lock up the rear end with that oil. Like I said, it's the wrong weight.
Why would you think it would lock up. The oil covers the weight and GL-5 specs. Are you saying that only gear oil that is 90 weight should be used?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK you got me wondering so I called the dealership service and asked.

OK your correct, 90 weight is the recommended reference weight.
He had no issues with running 85W-140 and said it's mainly determined by the temperatures that you ride the bike. Just like motor oil.

So just to be on the safe side, I'm gonna pick up some 90 today and replace it. It's not much oil and only takes a few minute to change.
If something happens to it, I don't want it voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Delmustator said:
OK your correct, 90 weight is the recommended reference weight.
He had no issues with running 85W-140 and said it's mainly determined by the temperatures that you ride the bike. Just like motor oil.
Okay, you probably won't lock up the rear end. Jusy trying to get your attention. ;)

But you will get increased fluid friction, reduced energy efficiency, (less HP), higher operating temperatures, and less flow at cold temperatures.

As you pointed out, it's only a couple of dollars worth of oil anyway.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced it yesterday with some Pennzoil 90 weight.

I could not tell the difference between the two oils.. They tasted the same... :bigthumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts