M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best place to get oil and what are the preferred brands and types.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Amsoil is dam good chit and you can get it from oil doc (that's his screen name) at his cost. He's a good guy to work with too!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I run either Lucas MC synthetic (Oreilly) or Mobil 1 Vtwin (WalMart) I like them both and I run 20-50 when it is warm out. They are both around $8 or $9 a quart. I buy three quarts and for the final .4 quart I run Lucas synthetic oil treatment with every oil change. No problems with clutch shudder, and it was noticebly smoother than using the zuki dino oil. Que Hink for Motorkote in 3......2.........

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Gulf of Mexico :eek:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I run either Lucas MC synthetic (Oreilly) or Mobil 1 Vtwin (WalMart) I like them both and I run 20-50 when it is warm out. They are both around $8 or $9 a quart. I buy three quarts and for the final .4 quart I run Lucas synthetic oil treatment with every oil change. No problems with clutch shudder, and it was noticebly smoother than using the zuki dino oil. Que Hink for Motorkote in 3......2.........
What do you use for the other .4 qt, or are you not changing your oil filter?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
https://www.motorkote.com/Competition.aspx
Does not require you to "leave room for addative". It bonds to the metal. Fill your bike with required amount of oil, do your 15, and 3, add motorkote every 4th oil change. I swear by this stuff.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
:agree:
this what i am doing next my buddy runs like this he says much smoother so I will give it a try.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
What do you use for the other .4 qt, or are you not changing your oil filter?
3 quarts of 20-50 and .4 quart of lucas synthetic additive and it ends up right in between the full and fill line. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't on the full line since there are a lot of guys that have the left side oil puke.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
3 quarts of 20-50 and .4 quart of lucas synthetic additive and it ends up right in between the full and fill line. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't on the full line since there are a lot of guys that have the left side oil puke.
Is that level after doing a 15/3 check, or a cold check? With mine, I could never get a consistant reading doing the 15/3 check, so now I only do a cold check. I added 3.8 qts for my last oil/filter change and it reads right smack in the middle of the upper and lower lines on the stick. That's why I'm curious as to how you're reading is the same with .4 qts less. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Is that level after doing a 15/3 check, or a cold check? With mine, I could never get a consistant reading doing the 15/3 check, so now I only do a cold check. I added 3.8 qts for my last oil/filter change and it reads right smack in the middle of the upper and lower lines on the stick. That's why I'm curious as to how you're reading is the same with .4 qts less. :dontknow:
I usually do a cold check, and I just changed my oil yesterday and did the 15/3 and it was low. I checked it cold this morning and it was still low. So I need to add another .4 quart. I'm not sure why it is showing different this time than it did the last couple times. Maybe I am just losing my memory like my wife keeps telling me......at least I think that was my wife.:joke:

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w40 for several years with no issues. I just pick up 4 quarts at my local Walmart or Auto Zone when I need it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I do wal-mart for my Mobil 1 15/50 for $6.and change...I'm not running the V oil.
I like running the 15/50 because its got zink. I do like my Lucas also.

I do the 15/3 just so i don't mess myself up. I tend to check my oil and tires a bit.

I know the motors on the nines are a little funky when it comes to the oil. Its down its up. No big thing. Long as you stay on the oil checking.

I'm always trying to shave the numbers down. I go throw oil tires and brakes like water.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Right now you can get oil for free on Florida beaches!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use Royal Purple, love the stuff, Amsoil is awesome as well. Back in the younger days I raced a CBR1000 and was sponsored by Amsoil, good stuff.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks for the Kudo's grampi.

NO ADDITIVES....

If you need an additive, you just need a better oil.

Lucas is nothing more than an oil thickener and their oil ain't worth a darn.

The following link is to the Second Edition of a Series of Tests performed on the top M/C oils. These tests were performed by Several of The Top Testing Facilities in the US and will give you more information than you can get in any one place.

Pick one of the top 3 finishers and you are sure to have a good oil.

http://bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf

REGARDLESS of Brand, Synthetic or petroleum, I recommend a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2 but Never MB.

If anyone tells you there is no difference between an auto/diesel oil and a Motorcycle specific, they have been misinformed and are passing on bad information.

Oil, is the LifeBlood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.